Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:07 am

I don't think that shortcut exists, but yes if you qualify between january and april then the flights you've done are effectively counted twice; once for status for 2018 (gained after jan but before april) and once more due to the XP rollover afterwards. I have seen nothing from FB indicating this would work differently; they seem to just accept that a few people will make this happen. This leaves the question of an existing status member re-qualifying before april; their status should extend into 2019 and then 2020 with rollover unless I am mistaken. (qualified this year for 2018, qualified next year before april for 2019, rollover miles applied to qualify for 2020).

Last edited by CyBeR; Nov 7, 2017 at 11:12 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:14 am

Keep going back to the XP chart and can't get over how much this punishes late bookers. At the time I'm booking my flights, there are usually only Y/B/M fares left in economy. It's mostly long haul 1 travel and the gap between 8 XP for that vs 24 for Z is very harsh.

And sure I don't have much choice in picking a cheaper fare that far out most of the time but there is choice in airline so you would think they would at least try to make it competitive with other airlines. Probably easier to gain status on BA now as they offer tier points for flexible economy tickets that are comparable with Business class tier points.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Your card shows an expiry of 03/2018. That is March 2018. That means that this relates to flying you did in 2016.

Nothing in what you posted indicates anything about the end of 2018.

Can you please post the specific sentence that makes you think they are giving you 9 months of free status?

is it that they say "to keep your platinum level...", and you instead expect to be Gold in 2018?

What status do you expect to have in 2018, on the basis of your current level miles and segments?
I’m kinda lost in this discussion and i thought my questions are quite straightforward - again, in march 2018 i will get - if there were no changes - downgraded to gold. Meanwhile, from their email wording “to keep your platinum level” seems to suggest that it will be valid until Dec 31,2018.

As in “maintain” - “still have”. And it would be kinda difficult to MAINTAIN a status that i don’t (at the time) have...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
When will they release the new charts for the miles needed to get an award ticket?

I have never understood why they charge so many miles to get a Y award ticket on flights from France to Asia (80000 miles). I may be dreaming but I hope this will change.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LY777
When will they release the new charts for the miles needed to get an award ticket?

I have never understood why they charge so many miles to get a Y award ticket on flights from France to Asia (80000 miles). I may be dreaming but I hope this will change.
FB no longer has "charts"; it moved away from that some time ago.

There won't be charts in the new scheme, as they are making the pricings entirely dynamic. (This could mean that low-demand routes in the same "zones" are habitually priced lower in miles than high-demand routes; just like they have completely different cash prices for "similar" routes in the same zones).

The new redemption rates are to be revealed in the first quarter of 2018, and come into effect in Q3 of 2018.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:21 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
The process for determining mileage earning for partners doesn't change. These are based on the tables. (Of course, the tables can change and may change at any time, but the overall system is not changing).

They are governed by the earning percentages applicable to that individual partner. The earning percentage is then applied to the actual length of the sector in question (bearing in mind that some have a "minimum mileage" that kicks in for really short flights)
If they don't change then why in the above example I gave more Miles are given (~15k) than Award Miles (~14k)? They must have altered either the formula or the values into it otherwise the Miles = Award Miles.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jan0809
I’m kinda lost in this discussion and i thought my questions are quite straightforward - again, in march 2018 i will get - if there were no changes - downgraded to gold. Meanwhile, from their email wording “to keep your platinum level” seems to suggest that it will be valid until Dec 31,2018.

As in “maintain” - “still have”. And it would be kinda difficult to MAINTAIN a status that i don’t (at the time) have...
The text is written based on your *current* level. They apparently did not take into account people who have not yet (and will not before 2018) re-qualified.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: FB Ultimate, Accor Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond,Avis President, Hertz President Club

I have kinda the same question:

I'm Platinum and already qualified to be Platinum in 2018 as i has 95K Statut Miles and 94 status flights.

So, if I have booked flights (all qualifying flights) between 1st of January 2018 and 31 March 2018, those will become XP points on 1st April which will help me to qualify for Platinum for 2019, between 1st of January and 31 December 2018, right?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it says: "To keep your Platinum level, you'll need to gain 300 XP between 1 January and 31 December 2018". That is merely telling you what you (and everyone else) needs to do to earn Platinum in 2018.

It's not finally determined what your status will be in 2017. Therefore, although you clearly expect to be Gold next year (because presumably you know you are not going to have a final spurt of activity this year), Flying Blue cannot know. As such, they are probably making an incorrect assumption and only considering your current status.

The text you reproduced, however, should not be interpreted as meaning that you are magically granted Platinum for all of 2018. They are just telling you what everyone needs to do to get Platinum in 2018. Anyone who ever manages to put 300XP in their account at any time during their membership year, will earn Platinum.

However, based on what you have now confirmed, this is what your specific example should read.

(It actually doesn't matter if you are Gold, or if you are Platinum in 2018. Your "target" in both cases is the Platinum target)

"In order to either maintain Platinum, or to get to Platinum from Gold, you'll need to gain 300 XP between 1 January and 31 December 2018"
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siw
If they don't change then why in the above example I gave more Miles are given (~15k) than Award Miles (~14k)? They must have altered either the formula or the values into it otherwise the Miles = Award Miles.
Are you forgetting that the "status bonus" only applies to Award Miles, not to Level Miles?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:38 am

from their email wording “to keep your platinum level” seems to suggest that it will be valid until Dec 31,2018.
Business as usual i.e. FB being crap at communication.

G
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The front-page headline here on FT has again raided the historic book of European airline photos!!!

(I can't quite work out which Spandau Ballet album ( ) was most recent when that photo was taken. Or if that is a KQ or a Martinair tail stuck on!!! Must be one of the old Martinair fleet half-repainted!)

That headline is not entirely accurate either, wouldn't you agree?
Attached Images  
Xizm likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Based on what I've seen, the FB Amex adds nothing. (Even the current one was of no interest to me).

Only you can decide if the 30 XPs are worth the huge fee.
After all FB Amex purchases stopped earning level miles several years back, I started getting them to waive the fees for FB Amex Gold for me when I asked, until apparently my spending on the card went down too low and they refused. I dropped the card.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:51 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Are you forgetting that the "status bonus" only applies to Award Miles, not to Level Miles?
I showed in the formula for the old (current) system both the cabin and the FB status percentage bonuses, which gives the correct amount of Award Miles. I just do not yet see the formula they have used to get the differing value for the new Miles. Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:51 am

The front-page headline here on FT has again raided the historic book of European airline photos!!!

(I can't quite work out which Spandau Ballet album ( ) was most recent when that photo was taken. Or if that is a KQ or a Martinair tail stuck on!!! Must be one of the old Martinair fleet half-repainted!)

That headline is not entirely accurate either, wouldn't you agree?
That's actually NWA. Half the plane is KL, the other NW. On the other side (barely visible at the nose) it's the same but reversed. Seen from the front here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.