Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Ikaz
I have the FR Air France gold card and just applied to the regular gold amex.
I can confirm that I received the 20000 amex rewards points with my first purchase.
I applied for the card online from a referral and added the card to the same online account than my gold Air France card.
+1, I confirm as well. me and 4 other friends all got MR rewards although we have the branded AF amex card already.
i got 145k MR for free!! (through referrals)
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:53 am

I am not FB Platinum, but as i am starting a new job in April with some business trips in Europe (around twice a month), I was wondering if I'd rather apply for the Platinum Amex instead of the Platinum AF one ?

to benefit from the access to the airport lounges.

As for the FB miles, i could still convert MR points into miles, but i'll lose the benefit of extending my FB miles validity by 2 years, am i correct ?

both cards cost pretty much the same each year but the AF does not offer the priority pass

or... i stick to my Amex AF Gold for which i pay no annual fee and I keep accumulating FB miles with my expenses
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Shangri La Jade |Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | WY gold |
Originally Posted by enzo0511
I am not FB Platinum, but as i am starting a new job in April with some business trips in Europe (around twice a month), I was wondering if I'd rather apply for the Platinum Amex instead of the Platinum AF one ?

As for the FB miles, i could still convert MR points into miles, but i'll lose the benefit of extending my FB miles validity by 2 years, am i correct ?
both cards cost pretty much the same each year but the AF does not offer the priority pass
or... i stick to my Amex AF Gold for which i pay no annual fee and I keep accumulating FB miles with my expenses
I am Pt FB, but have very few benefits from th ecard (as i wrote before). Yesterday I has a good look at the classic gold card. This card comes with hotel benefits too. However, if you don't have the card, you cannot see the benefits. AMEX sales was friendly, but had no clue. I BELIEVE, that the Pt card has wider hotel benefits, but I find AMEX advertisement too good to be to believe at face value. Substantial value vouchers for food/services in the hotels. I also got the impression thatthe hotels are in the top market segment, where I only stay by exception.

My plan is to ask for the card for a free trial later this year, and see what the benefits really are, comparing hotels with Booking.com and airfares with the best deals offered by airlines directly.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond

You will need to look at your common airports to help make a decision.
If flying often on AF between Paris CDG and Nantes, they a priority pass will not help at all (no lounge in Nantes or in CDG 2F).
In general, if you intend on flying Air France from CDG then priority pass doesn't really help. Air France European flights usually depart from CDG 2F or CDG 2G where the only lounges are Air France lounges, so you need to be at least gold with AF to access them.
If you are looking for lounge access in this case, the AF Amex cards will give you extra XP that could be valuable to climb levels with Air France.

My Priority pass account tells me that I have used it approx. 50 times last year, so for me it is a usefull benefit.
It seems like you can get a free supplementary Amex Platinum card with your main one, so your partner can have one and I assume that they would also get a priority pass with it too, so you could both enter for free when travelling for leisure.

If you are flying a lot, then the validity of your miles shouldn't be a problem as they will be extended with flying.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by emviflyer
I am Pt FB, but have very few benefits from th ecard (as i wrote before). Yesterday I has a good look at the classic gold card. This card comes with hotel benefits too. However, if you don't have the card, you cannot see the benefits. AMEX sales was friendly, but had no clue. I BELIEVE, that the Pt card has wider hotel benefits, but I find AMEX advertisement too good to be to believe at face value. Substantial value vouchers for food/services in the hotels. I also got the impression thatthe hotels are in the top market segment, where I only stay by exception.

My plan is to ask for the card for a free trial later this year, and see what the benefits really are, comparing hotels with Booking.com and airfares with the best deals offered by airlines directly.
I have the Amex Pt non-FB, if you have specific questions about hotel benefits, feel free to ask.
I can tell you that so far, I haven't seen savings on airfare against airline websites, but haven't checked too much. For hotels, I've seen ones that are over public prices, but also that are way below, like 25 EUR night instead of 90 EUR night rates.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by emviflyer

you are right, that's the problem

when we don't own a card, we cannot see all the benefits

Amex' public pages do not list the real benefits of each card

in the end, it seems to me that regular Amex cards have better benefits than Amex Air France cards
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Ikaz
You will need to look at your common airports to help make a decision.
If flying often on AF between Paris CDG and Nantes, they a priority pass will not help at all (no lounge in Nantes or in CDG 2F).
In general, if you intend on flying Air France from CDG then priority pass doesn't really help. Air France European flights usually depart from CDG 2F or CDG 2G where the only lounges are Air France lounges, so you need to be at least gold with AF to access them.
If you are looking for lounge access in this case, the AF Amex cards will give you extra XP that could be valuable to climb levels with Air France.

My Priority pass account tells me that I have used it approx. 50 times last year, so for me it is a usefull benefit.
It seems like you can get a free supplementary Amex Platinum card with your main one, so your partner can have one and I assume that they would also get a priority pass with it too, so you could both enter for free when travelling for leisure.

If you are flying a lot, then the validity of your miles shouldn't be a problem as they will be extended with flying.
I will be living in Rennes next month (airport also operated by VINCI Airports like Nantes = no lounge)

I guess that I won't be flying a lot from Roissy CDG because it's not very convenient, so having the priority pass won't be very useful

too bad the Amex cards do not grant any status...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: FB Gold
you are right, that's the problem

when we don't own a card, we cannot see all the benefits

Amex' public pages do not list the real benefits of each card

in the end, it seems to me that regular Amex cards have better benefits than Amex Air France cards
In terms of hotel benefits, the Gold card has access to the Hotel Collection while the Platinum card has Fine Hotels and Resorts + gold or equivalent at Bonvoy, Hilton, Shangri La and a few others.

I find FHR to be the most valuable benefit of Platinum cards. Free breakfast alone at 5-star properties for 2 is worth ~$80 per night. Sometimes the 3rd or 4th night is free too.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:31 pm

which card has high status match at Accor ? if so, which status ?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
I will be living in Rennes next month (airport also operated by VINCI Airports like Nantes = no lounge)

I guess that I won't be flying a lot from Roissy CDG because it's not very convenient, so having the priority pass won't be very useful

too bad the Amex cards do not grant any status...
You will be flying a lot through CDG/ORY if you fly a lot from RNS to various destinations. This is where CDG/ORY AF lounges come in handy.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by carnarvon
You will be flying a lot through CDG/ORY if you fly a lot from RNS to various destinations. This is where CDG/ORY AF lounges come in handy.
transit time will be short

and priority pass useless then
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by carnarvon
no more RNS-ORY for years. Only CDG (2G).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:29 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Goldorak
no more RNS-ORY for years. Only CDG (2G).
I stand corrected on this point. I had made a generic answer without checking first for ORY.

Haven't some TGV Air routes opened through ORY with taxi transfer to and from Massy? Could be the case from RNS...

Last edited by carnarvon; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:43 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:40 pm

transit time will be short and priority pass useless then

Priority pass is ALWAYS useless in CDG when flying AF.

Regarding short transit times, how can you be sure ?

Then what about irrops? This is very handy to have a confortable seat in a lounge when your connecting flight is delayed.

Then, what about TGV Air? I have not checked, but there must be numerous opportunities to take the TGV to CDG then connect. In which case TT can be longer.

RNS to AMS to XYZ means access to Crown lounge is a nice thing to have.

As a result, even in the absence of a lounge in RNS, access to AFKL lounges is useful for a FF residing in Rennes.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:17 am

which card would you recommend in my case then ? regular Plat Amex ?

priority pass seems to allow access in CDG only at a limited number of lounges

https://www.prioritypass.com/fr/loun...rles-de-gaulle

not the AF ones ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.