Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gajan
Between 1 September 2013 and 31 March 2018 the co-branded Gold & Platinum Flying Blue American Express cards also gave you Level Miles for purchases at AF/KL.

The Gold card will give you 1.5 Level Miles & Award Miles for AF/KL purchases; the Platinum card will give you 2 Level Miles & Award miles for AF/KL purchases.

As of 31 March 2018 the Flying Blue American Express co-cards give the main cardholder additional XP's when reaching the membership anniversary:
  • Silver: 15XP;
  • Gold: 30 XP
  • Platinum: 60 XP
Print Wikipost

Co-branded American Express cards: France and the Netherlands

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Hi all,

I currently have an AMEX Air France/KLM Gold--have had it since around March/April. I just got an offer saying I could get 50,000 miles and 60XP if I signed up for the Platinum card in the next 50 days.

Given the value of the 50,000 miles and the 60XP, it seems like this is a no-brainer, correct? Especially if I can cancel a couple of months later and return to my Gold card?

Would appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks!
Great offer indeed, i got it 3 years ago in November 2016 and took it but did not cancel it after a couple of months (i am not sure but i think it said somewhere you need to keep it 6 months minimum otherwise they can take back the miles). In my case i had a problem trying to figure out if i would get my Qualifying flights in 2017 if i went to back to gold card after 6 months only, the agents were not clear so i preferred to keep it the whole year.
I rememebr I got 8 Q flights + the 4 i already had with gold card. maybe you would get both the 30 of gold and 60 of plat.

i am still waiting for the same offer again to take it again
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by glennhaak
You can link your Amex to your Paypal and send the €300 (€500 in NL) minimum to a relative or a friend to instantly reach the threshold

I don't recommend this to generate a lot of miles though there have been stories of Amex contacting people (in NL) with large Paypal transfers.
A friend of mine in France has been doing the same with Paypal for almost a year. He generates around 5k miles per month with these transfers to friends. he has not received any call from amex about this. it is indeed a very easy way to get miles for free
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Hi all,

I currently have an AMEX Air France/KLM Gold--have had it since around March/April. I just got an offer saying I could get 50,000 miles and 60XP if I signed up for the Platinum card in the next 50 days.

Given the value of the 50,000 miles and the 60XP, it seems like this is a no-brainer, correct? Especially if I can cancel a couple of months later and return to my Gold card?

Would appreciate your opinion on this.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by newflyer27
Great offer indeed, i got it 3 years ago in November 2016 and took it but did not cancel it after a couple of months (i am not sure but i think it said somewhere you need to keep it 6 months minimum otherwise they can take back the miles). In my case i had a problem trying to figure out if i would get my Qualifying flights in 2017 if i went to back to gold card after 6 months only, the agents were not clear so i preferred to keep it the whole year.
I rememebr I got 8 Q flights + the 4 i already had with gold card. maybe you would get both the 30 of gold and 60 of plat.

i am still waiting for the same offer again to take it again
Yes this is a no-brainer, if you have already received the 30XP from the gold card, you'll also get the 60XP from the platinum. You can downgrade back to gold after 6 months. Your current annual fee for the gold card will be reimbursed pro-rata.
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:37 am

A friend of mine in France has been doing the same with Paypal for almost a year. He generates around 5k miles per month with these transfers to friends. he has not received any call from amex about this. it is indeed a very easy way to get miles for free
i did it for 3 months then got a call and my amex plat was
cancelled
My friend did it with his gold for 6 months ...as soon as he got the amex plat and did one ... cancelled

But a lot more than 5k ... probably 15k by month...
i think i will never do it again lolllll

But they cancelled my card just after i received the 60 xp and refunded 500 euros ...the anual fee ...so i didnt really suffer
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Wil973
i did it for 3 months then got a call and my amex plat was
cancelled
My friend did it with his gold for 6 months ...as soon as he got the amex plat and did one ... cancelled

But a lot more than 5k ... probably 15k by month...
i think i will never do it again lolllll

But they cancelled my card just after i received the 60 xp and refunded 500 euros ...the anual fee ...so i didnt really suffer
cancelled without previous notice? that's radical. Maybe they are more thorough looking with Plat clients...

I won't do it as well then.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:35 am

cancelled without previous notice? that's radical. Maybe they are more thorough looking with Plat clients...

I won't do it as well then.
yes i was noticedthey wanted so see my last 3 months bank transactions... i refused
had my amex plat for almost 5 years
it was cancelled 30 days after
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
it's allowed to pay someone via paypal using amex do it all the time instead of the "tikkie" but it's not allowed to make manafactured spend, pay someone 5000 euro voor 5000 MR and then 5000 euro gets transfered back to you.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut
it's allowed to pay someone via paypal using amex do it all the time instead of the "tikkie" but it's not allowed to make manafactured spend, pay someone 5000 euro voor 5000 MR and then 5000 euro gets transfered back to you.
If your friends fancy manually transferring the received money back to a real bank account instead of having it in their Paypal wallet, yes - but mine won't. Transfering directly to a bank account is not possible with Amex, unless you pay a hefty fee.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Flying blue,
Yes this is a no-brainer, if you have already received the 30XP from the gold card, you'll also get the 60XP from the platinum. You can downgrade back to gold after 6 months. Your current annual fee for the gold card will be reimbursed pro-rata.
I’ve received the same offer, although I really don’t know what to do, because I’ve upgraded from silver to gold and i’m Enjoying the first year free.
are you sure we can cancel the card 6 months after and keep the miles? If I do cancel it after 6 months will I be reimbursed half of the annual fee?
tks
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:45 pm

Can you stack the 60XP from this card with the 60XP bonus from the Bank of America Flying Blue USA CC?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Doesnt the one who receives the funds have to pay a ~2% transaction fee? There is no way to get the funds into your bank account for free...which is needed to pay the Amex bill at the end of the month.

I use paypal quite a lot, for legitimate spending though, and never had a problem with Amex. Not $15K a month though
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Doesnt the one who receives the funds have to pay a ~2% transaction fee? There is no way to get the funds into your bank account for free...which is needed to pay the Amex bill at the end of the month.

No, a transfer in EUR can be done for free if you choose so.

there is no fee at all.
glennhaak likes this.

Last edited by newflyer27; Sep 5, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Yes

Originally Posted by worth
Can you stack the 60XP from this card with the 60XP bonus from the Bank of America Flying Blue USA CC?
Yes, you can receive both the 60XP from the AmEx Platinum AF–KLM card with the 60XP received by the BofA Flying Blue World Elite Mastercard. Actually, you can get up to 180XP a year with the French AmEx Platinum AF–KLM card, the Dutch AmEx Platinum AF–KLM card and the BofA Flying Blue World Elite Mastercard (if you spend at least $15k per year on the card).

vinnyc
worth and glennhaak like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
This is great info, thank you glennhaak and newflyer27! Much appreciated
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: FB
This is the best way to use this card. Otherwise it's pretty useless. I generate a ton of miles this way. Hopefully they don't change the rules because the US Amex does not allow miles for person to person payments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.