Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum for Life

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Brobbel
How much is it worth?

What do you think? (And if you think it is worth it: how to proceed?)
Not easy and a bit of a lottery I guess. But the way you're describing the situation, I would try to qualify this year and avoid the risk to fall back to 0 years on LTPE.
Qualifying on segments looks like a tough deal, so you have to generate level miles. You seem to be living in NL - means you could go for an FB Platinum AMEX with a 2-level-miles-per-€ earning scheme, and spending as much as you can on AF/KL, including buying tickets for friends & family.
On top of that, you could have a look at the typical business class offers in autumn, which are usually Z-fare with 125% Level mile earning.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Platinum for Life

I've just boarded the flight that'll make me virtual Lifetime Platinum. Thanks to carry over miles
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
I've just boarded the flight that'll make me virtual Lifetime Platinum. Thanks to carry over miles
Welcome to the club - hope you enjoy your Dubuque moment!
Old Nov 28, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Congratulations ^. Welcome in our exclusive club
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Congratulations and welcome indeed - but just don't expect too much!
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Thanks all! I don't expect anything to be honest. Except the end of worries about how to renew. Some years it was easy (Such as the years to come, I'll explain below), some years I really had to make an effort. (Such as my 2nd year when I had to drag myself out of bed with a bad hangover on boxing day after christmas just to do a segment run, or my 4th year when I had to find a cheap 4 legged Z fare in J for a big mileage run)

So, the thing is, I'll probably not see my card until April 2017, it really is virtual only!

I just qualified for 2016 due to projection of my carry over miles, and 2016 is also my 10th year!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: AFKL Plat STE+ (LT), OZ Diam+ *G (LT), QF Gold OWS (LTG 83%)
Congratulations, welcome to the club !

Now as a side note, after having completed Plat for life, I received my first upgrade (actually double upgrade from Y to J) to a LH flight and on a classic award ticket.

I'm having a second trip DXB to CDG for Christmas, and return through AMS-DXB. We'll see if the hit rate is improving compared to the near 0, I experienced since FP days.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: KLM Elite, Star Alliance Gold
Congratulations and welcome on-board !

It would be so nice if we could get the luggage tag that shows your allegiance, or even get a special very special boarding call "would Platinum ELite For Life step forward to board the plane now.....".
I am saying this beacuseI have been PE for life for 4 years now ( I think) and keep requalifying Platimum since. What bugs me is that our reserved boarding "SkyTeam Elite" corridor is full of newly qualified Silver and other similar card holder, making one of the few advantages we have non advantageous.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by Carmentesoro
... our reserved boarding "SkyTeam Elite" corridor is full of newly qualified Silver...
Remember when you begun your long way to Plat! What a great pleasure to be (at least) recognized as a "privileged traveller"....

Last week, in FLR, there was no separate boarding line and it was a great "n'importe quoi"
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
very odd. Just logged into my FB account.

Previously it said "Status: Platinum for life", now it only says "Status: Platinum". The picture of the card next to it is a "Platinum" card, without the "For life" mentioned - but then I think they always had that picture, also for PFL customers.

So is this a glitch? A new way of presenting things? Did they boot me out?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It seems they changed the look and feel. But if you look at your mileage summary you should see a gray box near the middle left of the page that says Nous sommes heureux de vous compter parmi les membres « Platinum à vie ». Or the equivalent in whatever language you are set to.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
It seems they changed the look and feel. But if you look at your mileage summary you should see a gray box near the middle left of the page that says Nous sommes heureux de vous compter parmi les membres « Platinum à vie ». Or the equivalent in whatever language you are set to.
Ah, yes, you're right, they are still heureux to have me.

Thanks ^
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, ET Gold, M&M FTL, UA Silver, EY Silver, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Hi all!

Based on everything I've read on this thread, I think I have qualified for Platinum for Life. Last year, the website said I only have one year left to qualify and I confirmed this with the FB Service Desk. This year, the website again says I have one year to qualify, so I called the desk to clarify, and they said - yes, you need one more year.

I was like - wait a sec - so I need to qualify by flying 70,000 miles for 11 years? And he was absolutely.

So the date I first became Platinum was 06/21/05 - what say y'all? Did I make it - or do I need another year of qualifying?

Thanks everyone...
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
Originally Posted by amenachem
Hi all!

Based on everything I've read on this thread, I think I have qualified for Platinum for Life. Last year, the website said I only have one year left to qualify and I confirmed this with the FB Service Desk. This year, the website again says I have one year to qualify, so I called the desk to clarify, and they said - yes, you need one more year.

I was like - wait a sec - so I need to qualify by flying 70,000 miles for 11 years? And he was absolutely.

So the date I first became Platinum was 06/21/05 - what say y'all? Did I make it - or do I need another year of qualifying?

Thanks everyone...
If I am correct you are what I would call virtually plat for life assuming that in 2014 you have made sufficient travel to remain plat in 2015. If so then you will have your official plat for life card & status in March 2016 even if you do not requalify for plat in 2015 (it was my case few years ago)
2006 plat 1
2007 plat 2
2008 plat 3
2009 plat 4
2010 plat 5
2011 plat 6
2012 plat 7
2013 plat 8
2014 plat 9
2015 plat 10 so 10 consecutive years as plat and defacto plat for life officially in 2016
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, ET Gold, M&M FTL, UA Silver, EY Silver, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pauillac
If I am correct you are what I would call virtually plat for life assuming that in 2014 you have made sufficient travel to remain plat in 2015. If so then you will have your official plat for life card & status in March 2016 even if you do not requalify for plat in 2015 (it was my case few years ago)
2006 plat 1
2007 plat 2
2008 plat 3
2009 plat 4
2010 plat 5
2011 plat 6
2012 plat 7
2013 plat 8
2014 plat 9
2015 plat 10 so 10 consecutive years as plat and defacto plat for life officially in 2016
So if I remember correctly, I qualified for Platinum in 2005 for 2005. So, I have hit 70,000 miles for 10 years, from 2005 to 2014. And de facto, I am Platinum this year until 31 Dec 2015. But the guy on the phone was insistent that I needed to qualify again this year...

So, it sounds like that in my case, as you describe that I am de facto platinum for life. Which works out, because I do not anticipate getting to 70,000 miles this year.

I wish they would have semi-knowledgeable people in the call center.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.