Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum for Life

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pjhartog
On a recent flight we found to be 3 LTPE's seated on the same row and we were wondering how exceptional or not that was.
Not that uncommon. I was seated next to a swedish LTPE couple on my last transatlantic flight and we counted more than 500 crossings between the three of us.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:34 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
One of the 3 mentioned there are only 500 LTPEs but that seemed very low to me. According to him it was said that about 30 new qualify per year. If that would be true, my guess is that that applies to NL alone.
I understand that in NL alone 200 people qualify for PFL (information based on last years PFL event invite).

Provided that France has a higher FB frequent flier base, I assume the number of PFL qualifying in France would be a factor X higher.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
That's an interesting number. It's probably safe to assume then that the total number of PFLs is less than 4000, possibly even less than 2000. If FB has about 20 million members (or was it 16 million?), then that's about 0.1 or 0.2 percent of all members.
What can we guesstimate with this number about the percentage of Plat members and about the percentage of PFLs on a particular flight?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:53 am

Sorry, I meant 200 per annum in NL.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I would guess the numbers are quite low for now, but they will increase sharply in the coming years due to rollover EQM's and Flyertalk.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by Gajan
Sorry, I meant 200 per annum in NL.
This changes things a bit. :-)
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a recent flight we found to be 3 LTPE's seated on the same row ... so much for appreciation for loyal customers.
Any airlined that gives a hoot for their top tier elite would not seat three of them next to each other, they would strive to keep the middle seat free. As you mention OpUps, I assume that economy was overbooked, in which case the LTPEs ought to have been upgraded ahead of everybody else.

Pursers have quite some discretion in this regard. In conversation with one of them I once pointed out that the first row behind the curtain was completely packed, whereas there were plenty of empty middle seats further back. After take-off I was invited to take a seat in ES, with full service.

Johan
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
That's an interesting number. It's probably safe to assume then that the total number of PFLs is less than 4000
We are of course all guessing here, but assuming ±500 qualify worldwide every year, the total is perhaps a bit higher? Given that lifetime is not the same as eternal, there will of course also be some attrition.

Johan
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Given that lifetime is not the same as eternal, there will of course also be some attrition.
Here's an idea for a new LTPE benefit (to differentiate from "regular" Platinum benefits): when you die, a tombstone offered by AF/KL with written "from Air France-KLM, with our eternal regrets to one of our best client"
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:39 am

We are of course all guessing here, but assuming ±500 qualify worldwide every year, the total is perhaps a bit higher? Given that lifetime is not the same as eternal, there will of course also be some attrition.

Johan
I understand that the number that qualify per annum in France is higher than this; I assume that the number that qualifies worldwide (including NL and FR) for LTPE is probably at least 2,000
Old Jun 8, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: FB Silver, EK Gold, *A Gold, BAEC,KM
I understand that the number that qualify per annum in France is higher than this; I assume that the number that qualifies worldwide (including NL and FR) for LTPE is probably at least 2,000
Since inception and taking into account the numbers bandied about on this site, you have to be looking at 50k+ minimum LTPE at least, as the person who qualifies always has it, and death being the only way to lose it!

Plus Plats are multiplying like lemmings since abonne, Carryover miles etc

Last edited by RigpigMalta; Jun 8, 2014 at 6:51 am Reason: addition
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
How many do you think qualify each year from France? If I were to make wild guesses, I would expect France+NL to account for at least 3/4 of qualifyers every year and I would personally be surprised if France had 6 or 7 times more people qualifying each year than the Netherlands because the population is only 4x larger, France is slightly less wealthy per head than the Netherlands, and many French business flyers predominantly fly domestically and those flights never used to qualify for FB miles and segments until very recently and for abonnes only.

I guess that we will never know for sure unless some FB person throws confidential papers in the wrong rubbish bin but if you say 200 from the NL, I would have personally imagined somewhere about 1200-1600 in total.

Last point, it is worth remembering that one doesn't qualify for PfL twice in other words, I would guess that after a number of people have already made it, the number of new qualifiers will go down as those very frequent flyers are now out of the pool for qualification.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Last point, it is worth remembering that one doesn't qualify for PfL twice in other words, I would guess that after a number of people have already made it, the number of new qualifiers will go down as those very frequent flyers are now out of the pool for qualification.
Good point. After a few years there won't be linear growth of PfL's.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

Not sure that I agree with you.
This is an overlapping generation model. Let's assume that each birth year has the same number of future very frequent flyer (VFF). Undoubtedly, the first year that the PfL is introduced (meaning the first year that one of the "old" VFF can become PfL), there should be a large number of qualifications because the past pool of VVF has accumulated and suddenly becomes PfL. But the following years should be steady state. Pax who became VFF ten years ago qualify. As pax get older and more successful they become VFF and obtain PfL ten years later.
It could be that it was easier (or more difficult) to be F+ Rouge, so that history could affect the steady state for a couple of years. It could also be that Plat is granted more generously (or less) than in the past and that will affect the steady state.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
Any airlined that gives a hoot for their top tier elite would not seat three of them next to each other, they would strive to keep the middle seat free. As you mention OpUps, I assume that economy was overbooked, in which case the LTPEs ought to have been upgraded ahead of everybody else.

Pursers have quite some discretion in this regard. In conversation with one of them I once pointed out that the first row behind the curtain was completely packed, whereas there were plenty of empty middle seats further back. After take-off I was invited to take a seat in ES, with full service.

Johan
Nice way of getting a free upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.