Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Systems down: Missing baggage claim

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2022, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
The correct answer for all bags delayed more than 21 days is to accept that it is indeed "LOST" and file a claim for final settlement, reimbursement of interim expenses, and any additional compensation AFKL feels like giving. As a FB Plat, I received a litany of bad info and outright lies about the disposition of my bag over the last three weeks, and now at day 22 I am in no mood to give a further extension of time.

Business execs respond to mounting payout claims, not customer pleas for help and accurate info.
100% agreed. The cash and/or lawsuits will be what makes the difference.

I have three outstanding claims against AF (2 directly and one indirect via DL since they were the last carrier).

On the outbound: Severely delayed baggage connecting through CDG, claim for incidentals and basic needs expenses.
On the return: EU261 claim for 24 hour delayed departure, resulting in a 30-hour delayed arrival.
On the return: 2 bags delayed for weeks, 1 bag lost forever.

In theory DL/AF/KL owe me around USD $3,000 all-in (2 pax impacted), but not one word from any of them yet.

Any EU-based lawyers, feel free to reach out for info.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:21 pm

Oh I fully agree with you both. My spouse and I had a total of 4 bags lost. Only got 3 of them back because the AirTags showed them at CDG the day we left Paris and we got them ourselves. Have already filed for compensation for EU261, reimbursement expenses, and the lost luggage weeks ago. But of course, all claims have gone unanswered.

Will continue pursuing the compensation, but that’s going to take time. And the value of the lost bag is significantly more than what the Montreal convention says I’m eligible for. So I’m more than happy to pursue getting it back first, then going after the money.

Felt like I was so close last week when I spoke to a lady, who may have worked for SBA Baggage, who had my luggage in her hand. But then it just started another journey around CDG
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:31 am

My bag is still missing from a CDG connection on 1st July, so I've now sent a claim for the contents.

Does anyone know if there still is a pile of bags from that [strike] day in CDG?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
My bag is still missing from a CDG connection on 1st July, so I've now sent a claim for the contents.

Does anyone know if there still is a pile of bags from that [strike] day in CDG?
Still missing a bag from 1Jul. Doubt I will ever see it again.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Still missing a bag from 1Jul. Doubt I will ever see it again.
Have you tried calling AF/Delta to see if they have any further information?

I finally got through to someone in Bologna last night (where the bag was last seen) that was reluctant to deal with me 'this is an internal number only, you shouldn't be calling this bla bla', well that's the number GH Passenger services just gave me! Fortunately she did eventually agree to check on the case and could see the bag was sent to GOT on 7 AUG. Nothing has been updated in worldtracer. Called the Platinum line after and for a change spoke to an agent who seemed willing to investigate himself, unlike the agents I've talked to previously about this "we're not at the airport, nothing we can do". Said he'd call MXP where the case was filed, BLQ where I said the bag had been recently, and GOT were the bag probably is.

An hour later he called back and said the bag should be at GOT (although he didn't sound entirely confident) and went on to say they had been planning to send it to BLQ?!?! Are they using this bag as a ping-pong ball between GOT & BLQ? Apparently they just need to process it and it should be sent to me soon...

Meanwhile I finally filed a claim for expenses last Friday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised to get a reply already Wed morning, although the reply itself was quite a good work of fiction. They started out saying they must respectfully decline my requested delay compensation as the flight was diverted due to weather - err this was an expenses claim, not asking for compensation! But they said they would refund ground transportation - what?! They paid for a taxi to take us MXP - TRN. I didn't claim for any transport?

As I was travelling with the wife on two separate tickets, and both bags were assigned to my ticket, I sent in a copy of the Italy train tickets from Turin just as further proof we were travelling together, but in the comment section I detailed exactly what I was claiming for along with receipts attached (obviously not claiming for the train ticket). Turns out they want to refund the Turin-Milan ticket for some unknown reason.

Then they apologise for the delayed baggage AMS-OSL on 28 June. Hmm that's not my flight.

Other than that they've agreed to pay for everything I requested (90% of the claim was for the wife's things). Let's see if the money arrives within their stated 28 days.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Did they possibly have the bag at least temporarily rush-tagged with AMS-OSL? Sometimes things like that happen behind the scenes even when the bag is supposed to go to GOT, AGH or other places along the Swedish west coast or even further down toward CPH.

It’s a pro move to toss in a TilePro+Apple AirTag into the checked baggage to better deal with eventualities like this. And given the messy baggage handling is uglier than usual this year, more people would do themselves a favor by doing just that.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did they possibly have the bag at least temporarily rush-tagged with AMS-OSL? Sometimes things like that happen behind the scenes even when the bag is supposed to go to GOT, AGH or other places along the Swedish west coast or even further down toward CPH.

It’s a pro move to toss in a TilePro+Apple AirTag into the checked baggage to better deal with eventualities like this. And given the messy baggage handling is uglier than usual this year, more people would do themselves a favor by doing just that.
I flew out on the 30th June, AMS-OSL on the 28th is just plain fiction.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Solevita
I flew out on the 30th June, AMS-OSL on the 28th is just plain fiction.
Or a sequence of typos. Or an otherwise bad spin from a previous template/message.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:21 pm

Or a sequence of typos.
Considering I flew only via CDG to Italy...
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Considering that the bag hasn’t been flying with you as it was initially tagged to do so, the bag may not have flown only via CDG to Italy unless it were still sitting in Italy.

The worldtracer type info pulled up by airlines and updated by airlines, along with the handlers rushing to push out update/replace rush tags, makes not for a perfect recipe for relaying perfect information. When the system functions like this, a potential helpful tool to get better information and make additional decisions is to go in with placing Bluetooth trackers into the checked luggage and expecting “to err is to be human” when it comes to such people-dependent systems.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:40 pm

Considering that the bag hasn’t been flying with you as it was initially tagged to do so, the bag may not have flown only via CDG to Italy unless it were still sitting in Italy.

The worldtracer type info pulled up by airlines and updated by airlines, along with the handlers rushing to push out update/replace rush tags, makes not for a perfect recipe for relaying perfect information. When the system functions like this, a potential helpful tool to get better information and make additional decisions is to go in with placing Bluetooth trackers into the checked luggage and expecting “to err is to be human” when it comes to such people-dependent systems.
Perhaps you can re-read so we're not going round in circles.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Solevita
Perhaps you can re-read so we're not going round in circles.
Seems like the reply you were sent Wednesday was done by someone sloppy and/or relying upon sloppy information.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:09 pm

Baggage gone 45 days now. Zero updates.

Basic necessities claim (outbound trip) approaching 60 days old now. Zero updates.

EU261 claim (24hr delay on return) 44 days old
now. Zero updates.

Where exactly are these famous “strong” consumer protection laws that Europe loves to talk about? Is AF immune from them?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
My delayed bag became officially "lost" on July 30. I filed my claim with KLM on August 1, and on August 3rd the airline settled my bag claim for the maximum $1,695 liability amount via bank transfer. Shortly after midnight on the 4th, I got a text saying my bag was delivered to my home (!). Icing on the cake really, as I still get to keep the lost baggage settlement money.

All's well that ends well.
Solevita likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:18 am

Filed a demand for compensation due to lost bag on July 19 and still no response yet

Since I started my trip in JFK, after 30 days I guess I'll be filing a complaint with the DOT.

Meanwhile, every time I call to get an update on my bag, agents tell me different things every time. They truly have no idea where my bag is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.