Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Systems down: Missing baggage claim

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I really recommend investing in an AirTag or similar for each checked in bag.
jkler likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 5:19 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
If you think BER is bad, you should see the chaos that is Frankfurt at the moment.
I would love to see this alleged chaos you are speaking about. I passed twice this week and it is busy but far from chaos, specially compared to other airports. The amount of luggage waiting in the luggage room was about one hundred today at noon. Compared to the images from LHR or AMS with thousands of luggages.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Three bags of ours have been held hostage at CDG since 01Jul. They only had 9 hours to transfer the bags from AF to DL so I can understand the incredible difficulty in this task.

I don’t need any more condescending emails from the Air France CEO, I want them to load the bags on any US-bound flight.

PS: Absolutely no updates whatsoever on the tracking site. Delta tells me that AF baggage in CDG is no longer responding to any of their messages, or answering the phones at all.

Very Impressive showing.
10 days later, Delta baggage service (last flight was on Delta metal so they are my point of contact) tells me I should consider the lost bag a write-off, file the compensation request, and move on.

Thanks for absolutely nothing, Air France, ADP, all your various handling agents, etc.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: KL Plat
My case has become a joke. Despite what the platinum line agent said on Friday, the bag indeed ended up back in GOT and delivery attempted at my home address yesterday. The driver called, pointed out we're still in Italy, he said he'd take the bag back to the airport then. Worldtracer stil shows the bag as delivery initiated, so who knows what's happened to it. In CDG it must have been blindly sent on to TRN (original destination) without checking worldtracer. Once in TRN, they seemingly ignored worldtracer and sent the bag back to GOT. Once in GOT, they failed to look at worldtracer to spot I'm still in Italy, but seemingly read enough to know where to try and send the bag to. What is the point of putting a temporary address in worldtracer if 3/3 times it was ignored?

Called the platinum line again yesterday, first for about 3 hours in the morning with no success after I got an SMS saying the luggage had arrived at 'the' airport, not saying which. Worldtracer indicated GOT, but at the same time I got an email from AF saying the luggage had arrived in MXP. I guess somebody spotted it in GOT first, therefore it was in GOT (lame quantum physics reference). Tried platinum line again in the afternoon and connected surprisingly after about 5 mins. Apparently the agent had never seen a bag sent to a home address while pax is still away, didn't know what would happen now. She said she would try and call Menzies in GOT and see what's going on & get back to me, but apparently nobody is answering phones anymore (which maybe is a bit surprising for GOT as everything seems to be running like clockwork there, ignoring SAS issues & folks trying to get emergency passports). Needless to say my phones been silent since...

She again conformed the 2nd bag had been tracked in CDG on Thursday, despite worldtracer saying nothing. Again she couldn't explain why worldtracer had nothing for the bag and why nothing had happened with the bag since.
spongenotbob likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Augustin de Romanet, ADP's CEO, admits in this morning's Le Figaro that the lost baggage is a "catastrophe" and says that all lost bags should be returned to their owners by this Wednesday evening (tomorrow).

L'épisode des bagages non distribués lors de la grève à Roissy Charles de Gaulle début juillet est «catastrophique» pour l'image de l'aéroport parisien, a affirmé mardi le PDG de Groupe ADP Augustin de Romanet, qui a présenté ses «excuses». «C'est catastrophique, c'est l'image de notre aéroport qui a été abîmée», a-t-il déclaré sur RMC, estimant que «beaucoup plus» de 20.000 bagages ont été en souffrance à la suite d'un «épisode extrêmement regrettable» le 1er juillet, lors d'une grève de salariés d'ADP.«Même si les causes sont multiples, à l'origine des choses (...), c'est le groupe ADP et des collaborateurs d'ADP, qui normalement devaient être là à 05H00 du matin pour lancer ce qu'on appelle les trieurs à bagages, qui nous avaient dit la veille de la grève qu'ils seraient là, et qui ne sont pas venus», a-t-il tancé. «Au lieu de démarrer à 05H00 du matin, ils ont démarré entre 07H00 et 09H00».

Quelque 220.000 bagages sont triés tous les jours à Roissy dans 17 trieurs à bagages. La totalité des bagages en souffrance devrait être restituée mercredi soir à leurs propriétaires, notamment grâce à des équipes d'ADP venant le soir de «façon volontaire» aider à leur écoulement, selon lui.
He also added this gem:

Augustin de Romanet a par ailleurs rappelé qu'il n'était pas nécessaire d'arriver «trop tôt» pour prendre son avion. Quand «les passagers viennent très tôt, les bagages ne peuvent pas être mis dans les trieurs, ils sont mis dans ce qu'on appelle des stockeurs». Ces stockeurs peuvent gérer 5.000 bagages, «or en ce moment nous en avons parfois 50.000 donc, vous avez une espèce d'embouteillage de bagages qui créent des désordres», a-t-il expliqué.

Pour un vol international, il faut arriver «environ 3 heures avant» le décollage, «pas plus de deux heures» avant un vol dans la zone Schengen et «une heure, une heure et demie» pour un vol intérieur. Les pénuries de personnels sont limitées, a-t-il enfin remarqué, assurant que «ça ne sera pas l'apocalypse cet été dans les aéroports».
🙄🙄🙄
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:13 pm

Does this mean my bag that disappeared into CDG on 1st July will be processed by Wednesday?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Does this mean my bag that disappeared into CDG on 1st July will be processed by Wednesday?
That's what the man says! I hope it's true for your case.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
That's what the man says! I hope it's true for your case.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt. My CDG-imprisoned bag from the 30th is still unknown on worldtracer, so I can pretty much guarantee I won't be seeing it tomorrow (or the wife, where the bag should be going to).

In other news I had a brief moment with the other bag today that miraculously escaped CDG last week only to make a pointless roundtrip to TRN and was attempted delivery at my address on Saturday. I flew back to GOT today and stopped off at the Menzies counter (had a nosey on the way, maybe 200ish bags I could see needing processing). Explained the mess, he checked and could see it was TRN who for whatever reason decided the bag was to be sent to my home address. He went off to find the bag and maybe a minute later had it on a trolley! Then I said thanks, but I don't want it it should be in Italy so he filled out whatever's needed to ping it back to Italy (shame bags don't earn XP!). Let's see if it actually turns up this time...
blairvanhorn, wrp96 and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
Augustin de Romanet, ADP's CEO, admits in this morning's Le Figaro that the lost baggage is a "catastrophe" and says that all lost bags should be returned to their owners by this Wednesday evening (tomorrow).

He also added this gem:

🙄🙄🙄

So, if I were to summarize:

* One time, a bunch of guys failed to show up at 5 AM to turn on the sorting machines.
* Apparently no-one else in the airport could figure out how to turn on the sorting machines until the regular crew showed up between 7-9 AM.
* The backlog that ensued has taken 12+ days to resolve and is STILL not resolved.
* Apparently they are now going to work a night shift actually to sort the bags.
* The airport director's main concern is the IMAGE of the airport has taken a hit. Not the fact that 12 days later thousands of bags are still missing.
* Through his exceptional leadership and stewardship skills, the same director can guarantee ALL bags will be delivered Wednesday night.

Got it.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I started getting emails and now texts from the local baggage office asking if I’ve received my bags back. Hmmm … nope, no bags. Worldtracer says so. It must be a true mess if no one is actually tracking this stuff.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I started getting emails and now texts from the local baggage office asking if I’ve received my bags back. Hmmm … nope, no bags. Worldtracer says so. It must be a true mess if no one is actually tracking this stuff.
I can assure you there is no tracking. Our bags were never once scanned at CDG. 2 out of 3 arrived at my home airport in the US (5 days late & 7 days late) with no notice whatsoever, got scanned by Delta so I went and picked them up. The original bag tags (from 30Jun) are still on them. The third bag hasn’t been scanned since departure on 29Jun. Gone without a trace.
Solevita likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

* One time, a bunch of guys failed to show up at 5 AM to turn on the sorting machines.
* Apparently no-one else in the airport could figure out how to turn on the sorting machines until the regular crew showed up between 7-9 AM.
* The backlog that ensued has taken 12+ days to resolve and is STILL not resolved.
* Apparently they are now going to work a night shift actually to sort the bags.
* The airport director's main concern is the IMAGE of the airport has taken a hit. Not the fact that 12 days later thousands of bags are still missing.
* Through his exceptional leadership and stewardship skills, the same director can guarantee ALL bags will be delivered Wednesday night.

Got it.
Perfect summary, sadly.
afmiami likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:09 am

I can assure you there is no tracking. Our bags were never once scanned at CDG. 2 out of 3 arrived at my home airport in the US (5 days late & 7 days late) with no notice whatsoever, got scanned by Delta so I went and picked them up. The original bag tags (from 30Jun) are still on them. The third bag hasn’t been scanned since departure on 29Jun. Gone without a trace.
That's what slightly worries me (although at this point I've just lost hope so why worry). My bag that went to TRN was only scanned in TRN, no mention of it being found in CDG. I highly suspect that the second bag once located will magically appear in TRN.... and that likely means ping back to GOT, although it could have just been a bad egg that decided the other bag should go to GOT. Needless to say, this morning still no news on it.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:51 am
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Got it.
Yeah - my bag is still sitting at CDG; at least that's what the AirTag inside tells me. No way it's going to be all sorted out - today is already Wednesday. What a joke.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by ofj
Yeah - my bag is still sitting at CDG; at least that's what the AirTag inside tells me. No way it's going to be all sorted out - today is already Wednesday. What a joke.
the joke continues. Our bags have been at CDG since July 1st (I have air tags ). We have been in Italy until yesterday and today back to the US, and guess what? Bags are now at Milan Malpensa! I clearly stated on worldtracer that I was in Milan until the 11th, but evidently nobody checks that (as a matter of fact, worldtracer does not report anything new).
so, I don’t know if I have to laugh or to cry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.