Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Systems down: Missing baggage claim

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Systems down: Missing baggage claim

What a mess. Our flight from CDG thankfully got out of the airport (just 1.5 hours delayed), but upon landing the FA announced over 150 bags had not been loaded due to the strike. Our 3 were part of that. :-(

We were told to file an online claim. But when I attempt to do so, it tells me:

It is not possible declare missing baggage online for this flight. Please contact Air France Customer Service for assistance.

So, of course, I called customer service. After going through the English phone tree for missing baggage, the voice tells me to go online to file a claim and hangs up. Great.

I try the French phone tree and get through to a nice man, who looks up my bag tags and tells me his system is down and to call back later.

Is it true I only have 48h to file a missing baggage claim? How will they know where to deliver it if I can’t file a claim?

Would be keen to know if anyone has a better suggested way to get a claim in to AF.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Stuff like this is why I never leave baggage claim without an irregularity report in hand.
Yahillwe and fifty_two like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:25 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried the AF app? That might be another option. Perhaps the system is overwhelmed but I would keep trying. On Jul 1 my flight CDG-SFO was delayed by a little over 1 hr. sitting at the gate and when I arrived my checked bag was missing.

There were many people in the same situation and the agent advised me that they were expecting about 70 missing bags that day and I could either wait in line or file the claim online. I decided to do it on the spot and was handed a form to fill out. Less than 24 hrs the following day I receive an email from AF apologizing for this and a claim number with the ability to track the progress online. I don't know if the fact that I was in J and I have elite status with FB really made a difference but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You didn't file a report upon landing with the bags service desk at the airport ?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
No, perhaps unwisely, like many other passengers, I took a blue pamphlet directing me to go online to file a claim and did not fill out a paper form. We had been traveling for nearly 18 hours by that point, with three little kids, one of whom was throwing up, so we needed to get everyone out of there quickly.

Wondering if I should just drive to the airport and get it done there today. We’re an outstation where AF only flies 2x per week, so everything on the ground here is handled by contractors.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Wondering if I should just drive to the airport and get it done there today. We’re an outstation where AF only flies 2x per week, so everything on the ground here is handled by contractors.
That's probably not a bad idea.
blairvanhorn likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
No bag at LYS either for me. No one working bag desks either, what an insult. Machine not working with my parameters but managed to file online. Instead of sending the bag to LYS LH/FRA sent it to IAD. Sorry for off topic but this was originally an AF ticket
Old Jul 4, 2022, 7:22 am
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Mine was never loaded at CDG, so when I landed at DTW (via Delta), about 100 of the connecting bags never made it. Still waiting for an answer from them. Delta says that it's left at CDG; I can see that because I put an Apple AirTag in my luggage. However, it seems that Air France didn't release the bag to Delta, so I'm stuck. Oh well, after a few days, I am eligible to file a lost bag claim with them.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Anyone know what “SBS VIA FTP” delivery service at LYS means and how to reach them?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:49 am

That's a code, not a delivery service. They should call you or you can call the appropriate office in LYS and ask.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Travelled GOT-CDG-TRN-MXP 30th (2G-2G connection, diverted to MXP as storms over TRN), checked 2 bags which never arrived in MXP, said they were still in Paris. 96 hours later worldtracer still has no idea where they are. I could imagine 1 luggage tag disappearing, but unlikely both bags lost their tags, so what is going on in CDG? Another pax on the same route also had no bags, plus others.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 4:00 pm

Same problem here: flight from CDG to HAJ on Thursday Jun 30 was cancelled after boarding due to staffing issues. After arriving in HAJ on the next day a representative told us that the flight arrived in HAJ without bags. NO bags where loaded in CDG.
Still missing.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Expérience shows that you should never leave the airport without a PIR number when your bags are missing, whether it’s issued by the baggage service or filed online at the airport on the spot. It leads to these type of hard-to-sort situations.
i would definitely drive to the outstation or call the baggage service but with low hopes as you don’t have a file number…
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Solevita
so what is going on in CDG?
Strike actions by some baggage handling companies.
Solevita likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:33 am

Are the systems being down also impacting Worldtracer?

I cannot view my file anymore on Worldtracer as it gives the folllowing message:

Access to your file is no longer available. Please contact your airline for more information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.