Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French strikes, strikes, strikes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy

jsfr above asked if anyone had been seriously impacted by the strike. Of course no one has (really? You can't dig up one person? I'm sure that at least a few people out of the millions who have visited France so far this summer must have a story).
Oh my, more digging.

Impact of strikes, just the first entry after googling "impact greve": http://www.francetvinfo.fr/economie/transports/sncf/sncf-l-impact-de-la-greve-sur-les-entreprises_1493487.html

And that is just one example (which should be sufficient to prove the point, no? Otherwise, google yourself).

Also, upthread:

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Depends how you look at it: I did change my travel plans and overall scheduling so as to avoid going to/from France on strike days as much as possible. On the days that I traveled things usually worked fine (accumulated delays 4-5 hours over various strike days). But if the strikes hadn't happened I would not have had to change my agenda and travel plans. The strikes did upset and impact me.
If I have to cancel business trips, cannot meet people I want to/need to see, cannot be at home on the days that I want to, only because the prospect of the strike forces me to change my plans, then I do call that impact.

Whatever, I leave this thread, this set of strikes is over, no more need for information exchange, we'll have a new thread for the next set of strikes which will certainly happen, and to protect my mental sanity I don't want to take part in any more "debates" which are a complete distortion of facts or lines of argument. Strikes have taken place, the French economy has suffered, individual people have been impacted, and quite a number of tourists have cancelled or changed their travel plans to France because of it. Those are the facts. Denying them just to avoid saying that one was wrong is...
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Other than the possible AF strike on July 27th, are any disruptions expected for CDG and Paris during the next two weeks?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
You might experience a slight increase in traffic during Black saturday 30 July
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Grouchy
You might experience a slight increase in traffic during Black saturday 30 July
Right: that weekend will be the southbound (outbound from Paris) annual French migration for August vacations.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Le tour will be arriving Paris on Sunday, July 24th. Although it's usually not a big disruption, I've had to walk for a few blocks dragging my luggage because the streets in my area were closed.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Le tour will be arriving Paris on Sunday, July 24th. Although it's usually not a big disruption, I've had to walk for a few blocks dragging my luggage because the streets in my area were closed.
Yikes. I forgot about that. I know they traditionally go down the Champs Elyssees, but what's the complete route and anticipated timing?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Le Tour will head east at Suresnes towards the centre and it ends with 8 rounds on the usual circuit: Avenue des Champs-Élysées - Turn at the Arc de Triomphe - Avenue des Champs-Élysées - then around the 'Jardins des Tuileries' Rue de Rivoli-Aveneu du Général Lemonnier - Quai des Tuileries- Pont de la Concorde

The caravan will start early at Chantilly around 14h00 arriving around 16h00. Riders will start at around 16h00, expect finish at around 19h00.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Le Tour will head east at Suresnes towards the centre and it ends with 8 rounds on the usual circuit: Avenue des Champs-Élysées - Turn at the Arc de Triomphe - Avenue des Champs-Élysées - then around the 'Jardins des Tuileries' Rue de Rivoli-Aveneu du Général Lemonnier - Quai des Tuileries- Pont de la Concorde

The caravan will start early at Chantilly around 14h00 arriving around 16h00. Riders will start at around 16h00, expect finish at around 19h00.
Thank you!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:18 pm

There has been no update on the SNPNC website since Friday. Do any of you have a viable update on the 27 July proposed action?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:16 pm

Just thought I'd update the latest.....
AF has issued a travel waiver effective tomorrow for the SNPNC et al work stoppage. The called strike officially begins on 27 July and runs through 2 August.
I'm glad I watched this like a hawk and rebooked within an hour of the announcement four hours ago.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:23 am

I can report that immigration (passport control entering Europe from a USA TATL DL flight) was as baad as I've ever seen it. It took me over a half hour in the SkyPriority Acces No.1 lane while it looked like kettles in coach were forced to wait several hours, Looking at the mess, I counted only three desks open in the kettle area, with at least twelve closed. Acces No. 1 has two booths staffed, with some people being directed toward the two lanes for diplomats, crew, and UM when no one from that group was being processed.

It was unclear whether this was a deliberate slowdown or reflected added caution in response to the Munich attack yesterday evening. I was processed as usual, with a little flip through my passport and no questions, not even how long I plan to stay in France/Europe or the purpose of my trip.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 23, 2016 at 6:40 am
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
http://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/common...air_france.htm

If I were to interpret this report compared t other ones, I would say that it seems that the strike will be biting. Better not plan AF travel during that period.
Apparently HOP will not strike, but the last A5 flights I took were officially HOP but operated by AF, so HOP schedule will be affected too.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can report that immigration (passport control entering Europe from a USA TATL DL flight) was as baad as I've ever seen it. It took me over a half hour in the SkyPriority Acces No.1 lane while it looked like kettles in coach were forced to wait several hours, Looking at the mess, I counted only three desks open in the kettle area, with at least twelve closed. Acces No. 1 has two booths staffed, with some people being directed toward the two lanes for diplomats, crew, and UM when no one from that group was being processed.

It was unclear whether this was a deliberate slowdown or reflected added caution in response to the Munich attack yesterday evening. I was processed as usual, with a little flip through my passport and no questions, not even how long I plan to stay in France/Europe or the purpose of my trip.
Doesn't sound like extra security after the Munich attack. Not manning twelve desks is more a sign of staff shortage/bad organization rather than extra security. However, not a strike either I believe.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:21 pm

In any case I am back in avoidance mode. Changing itineraries, dates, booking backup options. Some of it at a cost, all just to avoid potentially being stranded by AF.

Anyone whether there is a chance that the strike will be extended beyond August 2nd? I have two flights on August 6th and August 8th that I cannot change or only very difficult to change.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
In any case I am back in avoidance mode. Changing itineraries, dates, booking backup options. Some of it at a cost, all just to avoid potentially being stranded by AF.
Why don't you wait until AF offers changes for free? They always do offer this a few days in advance when a strike is confirmed. It's what I do nowadays and it works perfectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.