Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French strikes, strikes, strikes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Same experience for me, but with a distinction between the "old ones" and the young pilots. This state of mind described by San Gottardo is much more prevalent in AF pilots 50 y.o. and older. The youngest pilots are much more aware of the competitive environment and they are strongly opposed to the suicidal behavior of their senior counterparts. So there's hope...
And indeed, the guy I talked to is in the >50 yr. age bracket.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm really not familiar with the French strikes. My brother is in Paris right now, and scheduled to depart to TLV on Friday the 17th (over the last three days, 67% of the CDG-TLV flights have been cancelled, including all three on the 14th). Does anyone with more experience have any insight into whether he has anything to worry about with regard to a possible strike extension?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm really not familiar with the French strikes. My brother is in Paris right now, and scheduled to depart to TLV on Friday the 17th (over the last three days, 67% of the CDG-TLV flights have been cancelled, including all three on the 14th). Does anyone with more experience have any insight into whether he has anything to worry about with regard to a possible strike extension?
Typically, when deciding on what flights to keep and cancel, AF will largely base their decision on ensuring that the maximum of passengers can be rerouted appropriately. Your brother's flights should fall outside of the strike period anyway, but even if it were not he would be rerouted, so he should keep an eye on the AF website but doesn't need to worry.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Might be due to the mess in France, or not. But BA/AA are offering their direct flights to NYC for 1,070 in business
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just got a phone call from a Chinese friend. He was really worried about my safety after the evening news he watched on local TV. The violence (demonstrations, assassination, hooligans) and strikes (garbage, train, Air France) are making headlines. The Euro cup is bringing a lot of bad publicity to France.
very sad.

Last edited by brunos; Jun 15, 2016 at 9:53 am
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by brunos
I just got a phone call from a Chinese friend. He was really worried after the evening news he watched on local TV. The violence (demonstrations, assassination, hooligans) and strikes (garbage, train, Air France) are making headlines. The Euro cup is bringing a lot of bad publicity to France.
very sad.
Reminds me of the 1998 strikes at the time of the World Cup. I had the misfortune to host a delegation of our Chinese partners, who suffered the full impact of the AF (and other) strikes - flight from BJS cancelled, rerouted through FRA with LH, arrival at CDG T1 with no baggage handlers working, bags piled in heaps everywhere etc. I wanted the ground to swallow me up.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Bad news: My AF A380 flight was cancelled.

Good news: I was rebooked on another AF flight and got to experience the new La Premiere. ^

Better news: The new timing was better for my sleep and I slept the whole flight, enjoying the most private cabin of any Euro airline. That makes the jet lag soooo much easier to deal with.

Today in Paris, it is pretty much back to normal.

Heading to my first Euro 2016 match tomorrow. I'm sure everyone will have fun.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Bad news: My AF A380 flight was cancelled.
Cancelled because of technical issues with the plane, I am sure (must be, it can't be that strike-that-doesn't-happen-during-the-Euro).
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Is there a strike affecting the Euro's? No, of course not.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 15, 2016 at 3:39 pm Reason: Unneeded comment removed
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Another AF Pilot's strike announced 24th -27th of June...
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by newflyer27
Another AF Pilot's strike announced 24th -27th of June...
Do you have a public source that I could use to try and change my return through CDG?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
Do you have a public source that I could use to try and change my return through CDG?
Article in press

However, you'll only be able to change tix for free or get a reimbursement once AF has "officially recognized" the strike and made an announcement on its website. That isn't the case yet.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thank you, this will at least let me start a conversation since this is a DL ticket using AF equipment on the return from CPH.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just keep watch of the AF website. They won't waive the change fees/conditions until they announce it. And that's usually a couple of days before the strike when it appears that negotiations failed.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat
the pilots are at it again...

http://www.france24.com/en/20160619-...week-euro-2016

They will be the death of this once great company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.