Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French strikes, strikes, strikes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by stimpy
Has someone edited out my post that said that there would be no strikes that affect the fans attending the matches? I posted here that if one airlines strikes, that won't affect fans ability to attend matches. Management like always will make sure that more important flights are not cancelled.

And so far up to now no one has missed a match. So no affect from any strikes.
We have only quoted what you wrote, using the quote function of this site.

------------

It is very unlikely that the negotiation with AF pilots will come to a happy end, as Gagey, the CEO of Air France, says that he is neither willing nor able to make certain commitments before the new CEO of the AFKL isn't on board, which will be by the start of July.

AF has not yet published its new schedule, but has published the rules it wants to apply for rebooking/refunding of tickets:

- You may anticipate your trip from June 9 to June 10, 2016 included, or postpone your trip from June 15 to June 21, 2016 included, at no extra cost in the same ticketed cabin.

You can make these changes on this website*, in the "Your reservations" section, on our mobile sites or from your travel agent.

- To postpone your trip beyond June 21, 2016, to change your origin or destination or if you no longer wish to travel, you can receive of a non-refundable voucher valid one year on Air France, KLM or Hop!
In this case, you may contact your travel agent.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:16 pm

You can be sure the strike will be over before June 10th and no striking until after July 10th. At least not to the point where it would affect travel during that period.
Here's your first post in this thread.

I don't see anything about football in there. Not to mention, I'm not travelling for the football, and I couldn't care less whether football fans are inconvenienced.

Given how correct you've been about strikes so far - especially while arrogantly telling everyone else they're talking nonsense and they don't understand France, you owe more than one poster in this thread an apology.

Nonsense. There is no way there will be any kind of serious strike between June 10th and July 10th. It is patently unrealistic to think there could be, if you understand France and the dynamics involved. You are right that it would have maximum nuisance if it happened during the tournament, so why did they begin weeks in advance? It's because they know they cannot strike during the tournament. For several reasons.

And I think it is rather unlikely there will be another strike until after the summer holidays. The new labor laws are a loooooong way from being actually implemented.
I highlighted some choice phrases from your second post. You didn't say "a strike that would affect football travellers" here. You said they "cannot" strike. Clearly they can. Is, perhaps, a strike only a serious strike if it only affects people who aren't going to watch the football?

Yes, you did mention travellers going to see the football later, to cover yourself.

Last edited by Naomasa298; Jun 9, 2016 at 1:24 pm
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Naomasa298
Yes, you did mention travellers going to see the football later, to cover yourself.
That's a rather idiotic and aggressive assumption. But I think I was pretty clear. The whole point is a successful Euro tournament for the fans. So far I haven't see any indication that this won't happen. Just fear mongering as usual.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:19 pm

Let's not waste real estate on our computer screen with someone trying to tell us he didn't say a certain thing when we all have it in writing in front of us. You said it was nonsense to think that there would be any strike during the Euro football championship (see quotes of your own posts), and you were wrong. That's all, not a big deal to be wrong, and noone would have reacted, if it hadn't been for your loud-mouthed dismissal as "nonsense" any suggestion that strikes might happen during the championship and treating posters as "not understanding France". Now you have to bear the "Schadenfreude" , that's life. Maybe just be a little more modest in your tone and all will be fine.

For further help, see here http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-de...-the-internet/
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Let's not waste real estate on our computer screen with someone trying to tell us he didn't say a certain thing when we all have it in writing in front of us. You said it was nonsense to think that there would be any strike during the Euro football championship (see quotes of your own posts), and you were wrong.
For help with English, since you appear to be having a tough time with tense, there is no strike during the Euro's because they haven't begun yet. And again, I clarified my post with a point, that I would normally consider obvious, but nevertheless I made it clear that no strike would prevent the success of the month long event. That really should not be so hard to comprehend.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a rather idiotic and aggressive assumption. But I think I was pretty clear. The whole point is a successful Euro tournament for the fans. So far I haven't see any indication that this won't happen. Just fear mongering as usual.
For help with English, since you appear to be having a tough time with tense, there is no strike during the Euro's because they haven't begun yet. And again, I clarified my post with a point, that I would normally consider obvious, but nevertheless I made it clear that no strike would prevent the success of the month long event. That really should not be so hard to comprehend.
Ever the charmer...

You know what they say: when you are in a hole, stop digging...
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Ever the charmer...

You know what they say: when you are in a hole, stop digging...
Well that's one way of looking at it. Another way would be the people who claimed that the Euro's would be affected by the strikes are the ones in the hole. And are still posting FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) as they do quite regularly here. And they are charming by selectively quoting and by being deliberately obtuse in their responses. Look at how fast they've claimed they are strikes during the Euro's when there aren't any. They couldn't even wait 24 hours to crow.

Let's see how empty the stadiums are for the next month as all those fans can't access the matches due to the awful strikes.

Positive versus negative, forces forever against each other.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahem. http://www.france24.com/fr/20160609-...ll-stade-paris

"Chacun dans ce moment-là doit être responsable et patriote"
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:52 pm

For people like me it is hard to comprehend. As you correctly pointed out, I - and many others - don't understand France, we talk nonsense when we don't exclude the possibility of a strike happening during the football championships, and I don't master English (thank God I only have a very approximate understanding of what you're writing, otherwise I might find your tone offensive). So it's simply a matter of being dim that prevents me from understanding. Ignorance is bliss, I am sure you agree.

Fair point on timing, there still is a chance that the AF strike will not happen. As for the other strikes (railways) who are also happening in this France that we don't understand how its dynamics work and prevent a strike from happening during the Euro16, they may indeed stop before the start of the championships, so by, err, yesterday.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
Well the strike might not go on until the 13th as foreseen, but for the time being a bunch of flights have been cancelled for june 11 (I checked BLQ-CDG and VCE-CDG, the two routes which affect me most). Luckily my first AF flights are on the 16th ... keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by ottone; Jun 9, 2016 at 7:58 pm Reason: fixed typos
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As per some info I got from AF, it seems that only 14% of pilots were actually on-strike today. If it stays at that kind of level, it is good news first because not too much disruptions but also because it means that most of the pilots decided to not follow the strike call from their unions. Let's hope it will continue to be so low and that the majority of them are finally realizing that they are hurting the airline and themselves...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:51 pm

From Air France website:

For June 11, we plan to operate more than 90% of our long haul flights, 90% of our domestic flights, and around 75% of our medium-haul flight to and from Paris - CDG.
Last minute disturbances are not excluded.
Not too bad.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
I think AF is dealing with this very well, very impressed. SAS started a strike yesterday, it was decided yesterday and passengers were given no advance warning. There isn't even a link on the app to information on the website about the strike like AF has. Today SAS cancelled 159 flights, affecting 20 000 passengers.

Very happy to be doing all my summer flying with AF/KLM and not SAS.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF claims that there are 24% of pilots striking, but some union claimed that this is a percentage relative to total number of pilots, not the number of pilots that were supposed to report for work today. They claim a much higher percentage.

Apparently the strike will start to bite more tomorrow. AF plans to operate only 80% longhaul and 70% medium-haul (and their schedule is often affected by last-minute cancellations/delays).
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ticino
I think AF is dealing with this very well, very impressed. SAS started a strike yesterday, it was decided yesterday and passengers were given no advance warning. There isn't even a link on the app to information on the website about the strike like AF has. Today SAS cancelled 159 flights, affecting 20 000 passengers.

Very happy to be doing all my summer flying with AF/KLM and not SAS.
Indeed, I just learn about this SAS pilot strike and it seems pretty chaotic in SAS hubs/bases.
To come back to AF, disruptions are not too bad compared to what we feared. 83% of flights are operating today. For tomorrow (sunday), they plan to operate :
- more than 80% of long-hauls
- more than 85% of domestic flights
- about 70% of medium haul flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.