Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hub 2012, satellite S4 and future CDG2 developments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:07 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Zembla
And from hat I've seen at the DO, S3 could be one Europe's finest terminals.
Back to 2007
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue
Here is another gallery with better pictures as mine
https://plus.google.com/photos/11045...17894001?hl=fr

And I finally had the time to write the report of the visit but I had to do it in French. I'll try to write an English version next week (it's hard to find time those days).
So here is the French report for the visit of the S4 (I'll make another report especially for the Air France Lounge) : http://sophiefigenwald.wordpress.com...ite-s4-de-cdg/

Edit : Oops, sorry JOUY31 I didn't see you also published it ! Thanks a lot I still let the post so that you can have the link to the pictures
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by sophiesxb
Here is another gallery with better pictures as mine
https://plus.google.com/photos/11045...17894001?hl=fr

And I finally had the time to write the report of the visit but I had to do it in French. I'll try to write an English version next week (it's hard to find time those days).
So here is the French report for the visit of the S4 (I'll make another report especially for the Air France Lounge) : http://sophiefigenwald.wordpress.com...ite-s4-de-cdg/

Edit : Oops, sorry JOUY31 I didn't see you also published it ! Thanks a lot I still let the post so that you can have the link to the pictures
You're right, it is a nice gallery . Mille mercis !
Old Jun 28, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue
Originally Posted by JOUY31
You're right, it is a nice gallery . Mille mercis !
My pleasure
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
And from hat I've seen at the DO, S3 (edit: S4) could be one Europe's finest terminals. Whilst still covered in plastic and construction, it all looked very lounge (as in a big variety of comfy seats well arranged all over the place), light (as in daylight everywhere) spacious and pleasant to me.
I agree with Zembla, but i missed moving walkways in S4 for departing passengers. Walking from 2D to 2F is half the length of the S4 and there are moving walkways. Walking such distances can be quite tiring if you have heavy carry on luggage, are in a rush, not to mention if you are with kids or elderly. Or want to maximize time in the lounge. Will test it soon.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ajs123
I agree with Zembla, but i missed moving walkways in S4 for departing passengers. Walking from 2D to 2F is half the length of the S4 and there are moving walkways. Walking such distances can be quite tiring if you have heavy carry on luggage, are in a rush, not to mention if you are with kids or elderly. Or want to maximize time in the lounge. Will test it soon.
I think they want you to walk past all the shops and help fund ADP. One question, do they have trolleys inside S4 like AMS? Or not, like LHR? You do an awful lot of walking with your carry on bags at LHR T5.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Originally Posted by ajs123
I think they want you to walk past all the shops and help fund ADP. One question, do they have trolleys inside S4 like AMS? Or not, like LHR? You do an awful lot of walking with your carry on bags at LHR T5.
There aren't luxury shops at the exteremities of S4 I did not see any trolleys during the do, but those would be helpful! And I guess cheaper than moving walkways.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Sophie has posted her detailed report (in French, for the time being ) on the Salon Air France and the VIP lounge within it. Thanks !!! I am a bit envious, in truth, very much so, as I have had to be in the, admittedly nice (but not as nice!) lounge in the main pier today . OTOH, the upgrade from Premium Eco to Premium Affaires was a nice touch on this peak departure day and for a flight that was completely full. So, merci Air France.

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 30, 2012 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
One of the busiest travel weekends of the year - with lots of less-than-regular is a complete and utter disaster.

30 times worse than a normal Monday...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub

Just passed through CDG. Don't know what is going on today but the beast is biting back and reminds us what a user-unfriendly place it can be. Why just today they have to block one of the access lanes for taxis to terminals (and thus creating a huge traffic jam) is beyond me. Why three elevators out o three and the adjacent two escalators are either broken/not in repair or broken/currently in repair (thus all unusable) may have a reason, but I don't understand it. Maybe it's also the reason why only half the security lanes are open (staff couldn't use elevator to work and went on strike?). ADP has improved many things but planning and adapting capacities and processes to what is needed is still a weak point. Although: they shoul get credit for a smooth opening of S4. People in Berlin should pass by and learn.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Well, I had to do a very last-minute hop to LHR on Saturday, probably the busiest day of the year for Air France at CDG. 2E landside was full, but the baggage drop, passport and security process (overall about 20mn) was better than what I had experienced recently on a weekday at peaktime, and so much better than what my, admittedly non-Elite, friends experienced on another August peak day, two years ago.

So, heartfelt compliments to all the people at Direction Generale de l'Exploitation Sol, headed by Executive VP Michel Emeyriat, who was our gracious host at the FT DO dinner, and to all the staff they have mobilized from the rest of the company!

Lounge experience pleasant and a surprise upgrade from Premium Eco to Premium Affaires. On a full flight, that was a nice touch ^. (Overly) Minimalist but tasty mealbox, Michel Cluizel chocolats and pleasant Charles Laffitte Champagne (admittedly not as good as the Billecart Salmon in the lounge).

On the way back, I flew BA in CE from an empty terminal. Not really a peak day for LHR. Quick stroll into the Galleries lounge, which reeked of gravy (alas, I am no longer Gold and should drop from Silver soon). The only decent newspaper was the FT (the other FT ), no international press, just the British tabloids ... Onboard, very dry chicken and mezze on salad; yes, it was served on China, but it was not as tasty as the content of the AF box, probably as bland as the Pommery, which I skipped.

So, a longish day, with nice touches from AF and a dismal performance from RER B. One hour lost in the morning due to the late ending of works at Gare du Nord (of course, they had to do it on a peak day for non-frequent travellers going to the airport, so there was a lot of anguish on the train ), and another one in the evening, due to an electrical failure at Le Bourget! My thanks for bringing me home after 01:00 AM.

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Why three elevators out o three and the adjacent two escalators are either broken/not in repair or broken/currently in repair (thus all unusable) may have a reason, but I don't understand it. Maybe it's also the reason why only half the security lanes are open (staff couldn't use elevator to work and went on strike?).
What terminal was that ?

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 2, 2012 at 6:02 am
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Another concern (might have been addressed before) which had me worried as I sat in this mornings mega-traffic jam - with the addition of S3, the parking in 2E/F was sometimes fullish.

Now that S4 is added and by then end of Summer we will have all AF flights from 2C and 2D moving to 2E/F where will we park?

They are adding terminals and jetties, but no Parking (at the terminal).
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:56 am

I am bit confused- is this coming weekend going to be one of the busiest or was it the last one? I am transiting this Saturday... Thx
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Most week-ends until mid-August will be busy at Paris airports. The previous one was announced as being the busiest for the year, but the coming one will also be the first one after the beginning of the summer holidays for schools.

June 29th week-end: 496K AF passengers expected to depart from Paris airports

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 6, 2012 at 7:39 am
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:09 am

Is the weekend of July 14 (Bastille Day) generally worse than others?

We are arriving 2E on 15 July Sunday.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.