FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Hub 2012, satellite S4 and future CDG2 developments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1272106-hub-2012-satellite-s4-future-cdg2-developments.html)

JOUY31 Oct 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Hub 2012, satellite S4 and future CDG2 developments

After major enhancements in 2007-2008, CDG2 will undergo many changes in 2012, which will further improve the passenger experience, but will also involve changes in the way passengers transfer from one concourse to another. The timetable has not been publicly released, so the dates mentioned are subject to change:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Additional issues
  • [*]

JOUY31 Oct 23, 2011 2:10 pm

This shows the result, at the end of December 2012, of the changes that will gradually be implemented, starting June 28th with the opening of Satellite S4.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/fil...DG-hub-map.jpg

JOUY31 Oct 23, 2011 2:11 pm

reserved for future use (2)

San Gottardo Oct 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks JOUY for always keeping us posted about the long term developments at CDG airport ^

I must say that over the years CDG has changed quite a bit. The AF travel experience has improved massively with the opening of 2E.

The overall airport layout still isn't very much geared towards connections because of all those different terminals (rather than one terminal with many piers, all of them interlinked and in the same security zone) and suffers from some other design flaws (e.g. 2G as a distant "outlier"). But more IFUPBC and a concentration of operations in 2F, 2E and 2G in the long run is good news.

BTW, my understanding was that 2D was going to be closed for renovation (it was first opened in 1989 and still looks more or less the same) and the Air France and friends Schengen traffic moved completely to 2F. But don't take my word for it, things may have changed since I read about that.

Mokshu Oct 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Indeed, from my understanding, AF was to leave 2D so that OneWorld can have its own terminal.

brunos Oct 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Was in 2A last week and heard that they will soon start to redo all the lounges, including the nice Admiral lounge. Wil 2A be the OW terminal? or do you suggest that they move to 2D?

JOUY31 Oct 24, 2011 2:23 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 17323876)
Was in 2A last week and heard that they will soon start to redo all the lounges, including the nice Admiral lounge. Wil 2A be the OW terminal? or do you suggest that they move to 2D?

As mentioned by creber and discussed earlier, there were plans by ADP for a long closure and slow renovation of 2D, due to the fact that there may be some overcapacity for a few years. But as these plans were already changes to what had been previously announced, I would wait for further information.

Currently, the AY or MA flights code-shared with AF operate from 2D, while the JL flights depart from 2E. As the AY & MA flights are Schengen flights, you would need to have either a mixed-mode terminal such as 2B or 2D, or two terminals, such as 2AC & 2B. In addition, AY, MA and JL must decide whether, at CDG specifically, it is better to have all OW airlines "under one roof", with new facilities in the A-C junction, or to be co-located with the code-share partner, AF.

With respect to 2D, there could also be the loss of OS flights currently code-shared with AF. I haven't seen any information on this issue.

chrissxb Oct 24, 2011 8:58 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31 (Post 17325274)
With respect to 2D, there could also be the loss of OS flights currently code-shared with AF. I haven't seen any information on this issue.

that doesn't surprise me at all, jouy31. ;)

no decision has been taken, the assignment to terminals for the codeshares is still under discussion with ADP.
I'll report back as soon as a decision has been taken. :)

JOUY31 Oct 24, 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by chrissxb (Post 17326469)
that doesn't surprise me at all, jouy31. ;)

no decision has been taken, the assignment to terminals for the codeshares is still under discussion with ADP.
I'll report back as soon as a decision has been taken. :)

Thanks, chrissxb ; but regardless of a joint decision by ADP and AF, there is another important issue: whether OS's new owner (LH) is willing to renew the code-share agreement that was signed before OS was taken over.

Zembla Oct 24, 2011 12:08 pm

There is one thing I am really worried about. The lines at passport control and security check in 2E are sometimes very long, with the facilities operating at maximum capacities. (There is also no room to expand them). What will the result be when S4 opens?

chrissxb Oct 24, 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zembla (Post 17327631)
There is one thing I am really worried about. The lines at passport control and security check in 2E are sometimes very long, with the facilities operating at maximum capacities. (There is also no room to expand them). What will the result be when S4 opens?

between 2E and 2F (which will be the Schengen terminal) they will install additional passport control. it looked very good on the presentation ...

olivedel Oct 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by chrissxb (Post 17327659)
between 2E and 2F (which will be the Schengen terminal) they will install additional passport control. it looked very good on the presentation ...

Is there a link to the presentation?

31dany Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by olivedel (Post 17328576)

That should be interesting...
Thanks JOUY for the all the new info.

chrissxb Oct 24, 2011 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by olivedel (Post 17328576)

no. ;) but there will be a presentation to the press soon and I guess they'll publish the info then.

Goldorak Oct 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zembla (Post 17327631)

You are right saying the lines are often long, but I don't think I have ever seen all passport control points and security control points open. So there is still room for handling additional pax.