Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm about 50/50 for veal instead of beef in the past two months, for the record.
Does the cow pick the veal? If so, Is it any good?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
No, Hawksworth dishes are on international flights (only leaving YYZ I believe).
No, not just YYZ. Although YYZ is the Centre of the Universe, Bigglesworth gets love ex-elsewhere too, like int'l YVR.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gcashin
6 AM departure YYC-YVR. Definitely used to be an omelette on this flight.
Agreed. I frequently did YYC-YVR en route to HKG, and always had omlettes.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Does the cow pick the veal? If so, Is it any good?
Double yes.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Certainly not a guarantee, but I can't see AC loading pork, getting to the last person with one meal left, saying "We have bacon wrapped bacon with a side of bacon", and risking a response of "I'm Jewish".
But AC cares less for the last person being Hindu?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
But AC cares less for the last person being Hindu?
I've actually never met anyone who would only not eat beef. I've met Hindu vegetarians (no meat at all), and Hindus who would eat beef (heck I have a very good friend of mine who kept strict Kosher until he realized how good pork was).

Regardless, I guess this is what special meals are for, no? I think the problem is people who aren't "strict" in their practice, but still follow the "no pork" rule. So they don't order a Kosher meal, but absolutely will not eat pork.

Again, I think this is all pointless until they get online ordering working. There's no reason not to offer bacon and eggs if you can order it ahead of time.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:20 pm

You are right on all points, but my comment was directed to the phrase "

AC ..... risking a response ......

As you pointed out, the last person could be at risk of not getting any choice and at times no food because of their convictions.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Pork is only occasionally boarded as an entree on flights to/from Asia, and not boarded as an appetizer (prosciutto) on IST & TLV flights. Sausages in breakfast omelettes are poultry-based (chicken or turkey).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Hawksworth out of YUL confirmed. I like fish, so I liked it, but some were less pleased.

Also, for the record, I've flown 3 TK flights of sub 5 (and even sub 4) hours, and they all had full catering (of 3 choices though).

All flights were intra-europe or North Africa.

Each flight had a different appetizer and different main courses but:

The vegetarian option was always the same.

The appetizer was always different, but the same setup. So like a small cold fish (smoked salmon, smoked espadon, etc), a small cold salad (tabouleh or lebneh and spinach), and a small baked salad (stuffed peppers or zehlook).

They all came with different cheeses on each flights. Sometimes blues, sometimes "bries", sometimes stuff with holes. Always different.

The desert was different every time, from puddings to cakes.

There was always 2 options and they were always different. The first went from classic beef, to slow cooked veal cheek, to roasted lamb shank.

The second option was either poultry or fish.

Just to make sure it's clear, those flights were considered (for all intents and purposes) "international", but were all of very short duration (either like NA PLH or shorter), but they were NOT catered by TK's international menu standards.

So yes, I am sure AC can make a tiny effort. It just depends on how much of an effort they want to make, and/or is it even profitable to make that effort (which I think is probably not).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
....So yes, I am sure AC can make a tiny effort. It just depends on how much of an effort they want to make, and/or is it even profitable to make that effort (which I think is probably not).
A point I posted upthread (where I included some photos)

Originally Posted by 24left
....Airlines choose their catering suppliers and clearly, there are better choices out there.

Given my recent experiences with online pre-ordering with AA, BR, and SQ, I agree with you that AC has an opportunity to have more variety and needs to move forward on this. I believe they know it but it is not a priority regardless of optimism.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC S100K
New menu on PLH out of YVR today:

Veal stew with a tomato and vegetable sauce, cauliflower au gratin and fine French green beans.

Green curry chicken with rice pilaf, carrots and edamame beans.

Flame-seared loin of cod with red pepper, tomato and almond sauce, orzo and vegetable medley.

Cheese tortellini with Italian-style tomato sauce and mozzarella.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
New menu on PLH out of YVR today:

Veal stew with a tomato and vegetable sauce, cauliflower au gratin and fine French green beans.

Green curry chicken with rice pilaf, carrots and edamame beans.

Flame-seared loin of cod with red pepper, tomato and almond sauce, orzo and vegetable medley.

Cheese tortellini with Italian-style tomato sauce and mozzarella.

I posted on Oct 21:

I ordered the veal for the first time a few days ago (J on 791 o LAX).
While onboard @ 34,000, I sent photos to friends. It was exactly as you describe and excellent.

Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:24 pm

You didn't taste it. It was a major hit on that flight and those that chose the French Toast were jealous.
Wait, French Toast was a breakfast option?
French Toast sounds even better than quiche.
I'm really tired of the omelette and pancakes on AC.
It's not that they are horrible, but when you eat the same stuff again and again for years, you get sick of it.
Quiche and French Toast sound like good alternative options.

BTW, has anyone taken AC Rouge flights between YVR and US-West coast (SFO/LAX) recently?
I wonder what kind of meals are offered in Premium Rouge on the afternoon/evening flights.

Last edited by agjil; Jan 11, 2016 at 4:10 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: 35 K
I really do not understand why they can not let you know what the meal on your flight is going to be. Does the kitchen just arrive in the morning and deals with what is in the fridge? I have traveled on KLM and they let you purchase the meal you would like ahead of time.
I was on United at Xmas YYC to IAH in paid business class and when breakfast was offered it was French Toast (which I have never liked) or Spinach Quiche (and I have never liked Spinach) so it was 4 hours with nothing to eat.
Today on AC210 the light lunch was cold salmon with some sort of Potato salad which again I do not like cold fish but no other option. By the way of the 6 people in Business 3 (including me) sent back the dish without touching it.
The problem is when you go to a gourmet menu it may have tastes that some do not like which is why there should be a slightly blander option for those without a educated palate. It does bother me when I pay for business class I expect to be treated better than if I am in Y but all it means is I get a bigger seat.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:52 pm

Business Class Breakfast AC919 ex MIA?

Can anyone tell me what the breakfast is like on this flight? Is it a full cooked breakfast or a continental offerring?

The AC website says breakfast is served, but no details and the AC Call Centre couldn't help - just need to know if to eat in the terminal first or not.

many thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.