Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinions on On My Way

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2008, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Academic
I'm not sure that's always the case. I've had weather-related overnights in which a Concierge has been able to get me into a hotel.
You are not entitled to it but it appears that the Concierge Agent has used his/her discretion to offer you complimentary hotel accomodation because you're SE. In any case, almost all travel insurance and most premium credit cards offer such protection. The priority ranking to the next available seat is more important IMO.

Consumers are entitled to know what they are buying.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
ON MY WAY, probably some other today (tomorrow, please)

MY OMW experience, so far....

So, when I started this thread, I was toying with the idea of OMW and when I finally booked, I figured that I would try it out (at least one way).

As I was checking today, my flight looked ok. Of course, I get to the airport and was told that my flight was cancelled! So what to do, what to do. Agent protected me on the next available flight (tomorrow). For anyone who goes thru LGA regularly, the agents become quite familiar, and my agent is probably one of the better of the bunch in that he has always been able to get me on a flight, even avoiding giving me the middle seat (even the occasional op-up). I digress.

Agent tells me that I am on the next flight, but nothing I can do tonight. I tell him I bought OMW and he responds "first time I have met someone who admitted that they bought it"

I call the # i was given -- note to AC, it would be nice to put it on the BP, as well as the Itin as I had to dig to find my e-receipt. Agent is very friendly and apologetic for my circumstances. She initially tries to see if I can get on any other flight. Only one option available but I have missed the cutoff window to check my bags. She asks me to give her a few minutes and she will call me back as she will proceed with trying to find me a hotel for the night. Within 10 minutes, she has found me a place to stay for the night and has also given me a credit as a food allowance (dinner and breakfast).

So, all in all, scoff as you will, but I am pleased with OMW. Will I do it again, probably as my usual airports are LGA and YYZ, which do get delayed in the winter.

As for whether OMW trumps SE. Not sure, but I do not think SE get hotels for weather Cx. There were a few others on my flight, incl one SE, and no hotel accomodation, though protected on early flight. Luckily they got hotel rooms. While visions/nightmares of Planes Trains and Automobiles danced in my head, I prob would have helped out a fellow ACer in need, I would prefer no "pillow" incidences.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neuron
As for whether OMW trumps SE. Not sure, but I do not think SE get hotels for weather Cx.
That may be true. But who cares?

If, like 99.99% of us, bought your ticket using Amex or a premium CC, their insurance will cover.

Without having to spend time on the phone with AC or the Out Of My Way 1-800 number.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: AC E
MY OMW experience, so far....

Agent tells me that I am on the next flight, but nothing I can do tonight. I tell him I bought OMW and he responds "first time I have met someone who admitted that they bought it"

I call the # i was given -- note to AC, it would be nice to put it on the BP, as well as the Itin as I had to dig to find my e-receipt. Agent is very friendly and apologetic for my circumstances. She initially tries to see if I can get on any other flight. Only one option available but I have missed the cutoff window to check my bags. She asks me to give her a few minutes and she will call me back as she will proceed with trying to find me a hotel for the night. Within 10 minutes, she has found me a place to stay for the night and has also given me a credit as a food allowance (dinner and breakfast).

So, all in all, scoff as you will, but I am pleased with OMW. Will I do it again, probably as my usual airports are LGA and YYZ, which do get delayed in the winter.
Was the agent handling OMW with AC or are they an independent service? It was always my impression that OMW was outsourced.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:00 am

The fact that neuron was able to get through to an agent so quickly is already worth it.

I was wondering if neuron rang the OMW line immediately to arrange the flight protection rather than waiting for the AC agent, would s/he been able to get on the earlier flight? Was the wait to see the AC agent long?

Sunday night, I waited >2h to speak with an AC agent, calling in on the Elite no.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
The fact that neuron was able to get through to an agent so quickly is already worth it.

I was wondering if neuron rang the OMW line immediately to arrange the flight protection rather than waiting for the AC agent, would s/he been able to get on the earlier flight? Was the wait to see the AC agent long?

Sunday night, I waited >2h to speak with an AC agent, calling in on the Elite no.
No, agent told me my flight was cancelled when I got to the airport and tried to checkmy bags. I called OMW immediately and the phone was picked up within three rings.

Originally Posted by Stranger
If, like 99.99% of us, bought your ticket using Amex or a premium CC, their insurance will cover.

Without having to spend time on the phone with AC or the Out Of My Way 1-800 number.
OMW did all the leg work for me, no reimbursements, no hunting and pecking for a hotel. One phone call is all it took. Maybe I'm not "like 99.99% of us" !

Anyway, I was only reporting my experience FWIW. If you are happy with your cc coverage, you have no need for it.

Last edited by neuron; Dec 25, 2008 at 9:06 am Reason: wrong name on quote, sorry Clipper801
Old Dec 24, 2008, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
That may be true. But who cares?

The wait to access an AC agent may be over 2 hours such as my case on Sunday evening, fortunately at the comfort of my home! OMW callers are obviously jumped to the top of the queue base on neuron's post. I rang in on the Elite no. ending with 7X64.

OMW did all the leg work for me, no reimbursements, no hunting and pecking for a hotel. One phone call is all it took. Maybe I'm not "like 99.99% of us" !

Anyway, I was only reporting my experience FWIW. If you are happy with your cc coverage, you have no need for it.
The comment that you quoted was actually made by Stranger, not me (Post #18). In any case, I concur that On My Way is worth the money based on your experience. When you're able to access an agent within 3 rings and everything - flight protection, hotel, etc. is arranged spoke for it. Excellent decision to buy OMW especially during winter travel. Many folks now stuck at the airport with the next flight until 2 or 3 days later probably regretting being penny wise and pound foolish not to have bought OMW!

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 24, 2008 at 9:02 pm
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:50 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
OMW Benefits vs. Costs

Neuron, good to hear that they took care of you with minimal hassle. I would buy this insurance when I travel to NY as you said it is prone to problems. Would you care to share with us how much OMW costs and which hotel they put you into (near LGA or back in Manhattan), and how much allowance they gave you for meals? Do they pay for the taxi to/from hotel too? Trying to weigh the benefits vs. costs.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 3:04 am

While enjoying my winter fun at YYZ yesterday I ran into a young lady who was stuck trying to get to YYT. I asked her if she had to spent the night in the airport, and she mentioned that she had purchased OMY and was well taken care of and generally satisfied with the product. It was my first time meeting a customer that had purchased such a product.

Happy flying everyone,
Old Dec 25, 2008, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Neuron, good to hear that they took care of you with minimal hassle. I would buy this insurance when I travel to NY as you said it is prone to problems. Would you care to share with us how much OMW costs and which hotel they put you into (near LGA or back in Manhattan), and how much allowance they gave you for meals? Do they pay for the taxi to/from hotel too? Trying to weigh the benefits vs. costs.
I suggested to the agent that if AC ever offered an OMW booklet of 10 for a discount, I would seriously buy it, only as I have to fly from LGA so often!

The hotel was within a mile of the airport and the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle (arrived within 5 min), so I did not need a taxi. While it was only a Holiday Inn, I only wanted a bed. The rate on the bill was $109. I did get a dinner and breakfast allowance, that was about the rate I get for when I travel for work. The credit was sent back to my cc that I billed my ticket to. The agent who took care of my call wanted to know if this was everything I required (she even told me where the phone was to call for the shuttle).

I may have said this before, but LGA in winter is bad, when you compound it with the recent snowstorms, it was fortuitous that I did purchase it, but I think it will be something I seriously consider for my LGA-YYZ flights from now on in the winter months.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OMW vs Rule 240

I have a question I would like to ask and perhaps my fellow FTers can provide their input.

OMW vs Rule 240 (which can be reviewed at this link). Rule 240 is part of the General Conditions of Carriage which is listed on AC website at (Rule 240 starts on page 65).

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...r%20Canada.pdf

I wanted to ask are we not all entitled to be rerouted onto other carriers in case of IROPS at AC? I did not type out the entire rule but the following are some of the wording:

Rule 240: Failure to Operate on Schedule
- Applicable if you have a confirmed ticket

(8) SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY INCLUDES ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WHICH OCCURS IN THE DAY OF DEPARTURE, BUT DOES NOT REFER TO DISTRUPTIONS RESULTING FROM LABOUR DISTRUBANCES AND/OR STRIKES:

(A) DELAY IN SCHEDULED DEPARTURE OR ARRIVAL OF AN AC FLIGHT RESULTING IN A MIS-CONNECTION; OR,
(B) FLIGHT CANCELLATION, OMMISSION OF A SCHEDULED STOP, OR ANY OTHER DELAY OR INTERRUPTION IN THE SCHEDULED OPERATION (my bold to say the term "other" delay to means anything from mechanical to weather) OF AC'S FLIGHT; OR,
(C) SUBSTITUTION OF AC'S EQUIPMENT, OR,
(D) AC SCHEDULE CHANGES HWICH REQUIRE REROUTING A PASSENGER WHO HAD NOT BEEN NOTICE OF THE CHANGE PRIOR TO THIS ARRIVAL AT THE AIRPORT TO CHECK-IN FOR THE ORIGINAL FLIGHT.
It goes on to say in item #9, if the carrier is a codeshare carrier and the operating carrier fails to operate that it would:

(A) CARRY THE PASSENGER ON ANOTHER OF ITS PASSENGER AIRCRAFT ON WHICH SPACE IS AVAILABLE WITHOUT ADDITIONAL CHARGE REGARDLESS OF THE CLASS OF SERVICE; OR
(B) ENDORSE TO ANOTHER CARRIER (my bold: Is this not OMW is offering however we are already entitled to it?)
(C) REROUTE THE PASSENGER TO THE DESTINATION NAMED ON THE TICKET OR......
The rule goes on to say:

(1) WHEN A PASSENGER WILL BE DELAYED DUE TO A SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY INVOLVING AN AC FLIGHT.....

(A) AC WILL TRANSPORT THE PASSENGER WITHOUT STOPOVER ON ITS NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT AND IN THE SAME CLASS OF SERVICE AS HIS ORIGINAL FLIGHT.

EXCEPTION 1: A PASSENGER HOLDING AN EXECUTIVE (J) OR FULL ECONOMY (Y) FARE TICKET MAYBE UPGRADED, AT NO ADDITOINAL COST, TO FIRST (F) OR EXECUTIVE (J) CLASS ON THE FIRST AVAILABLE FLIGHT

EXCEPTION 2: A PASSENGER HOLDING A DISCOUNT TYPE TICKET WILL BE UPGRADED TO THE NEXT HIGHER CLASS OF SERVICE, AT NO ADDITIONAL OCST, IF THAT FLIGHT PROVIDES AN EARLIER ARRIVAL AT HIS DESTINATION, STOPOEVER OR TRANSFER POINT THAN THE NEXT FLIGHT ON WHICH SPACE IS AVAILALBE IN THE ORIGINAL CLASS OF SERVICE.
This is where it gets interesting.

(B) IF AC IS UNABLE TO PROVIDE RESONABLE ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION ON ITS OWN SERVICES, AC WILL, SUBJECT TO THE PASSENGER'S CONCURRENCE, TRY TO ARRANGE TRANSPORTATION ON THE SERVICES OF ANOTHER CARRIER OR COMBINATION OF CARRIERS WITH WHICH AC HAS AGREEMENTS FOR SUCH TRANSPORTATION. IN SUCH CASES, THE PASSENGER WILL BE TRANSPORTED WITHOUT STOPOVER AND AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO HIMSELF, CLASS OF SERVICE AS APPLIED TO HIS ORIGINAL OUTBOUND FLIGHT ON AC. (my bold)

Is item #B not part of what OMW is about?

I dug this up because I remember someone at AC telling me about this when I was delayed and was rerouted (this was back in 2003).

I went looking for this as I'm flying to SEA on AC (YVR-SEA-ORD-ATL) and AC is my frist leg. Since I am I am indeed on AC, I am building contingencies since they tend to cancel the Jazz flights. The flight to SEA is a UA flight operated by AC and as first operating carrier, they are responsible to get me to SEA....and seeing how they did this past week -- I am concerned.

But the question is, does Rule 240 provide the same service OMW offers re: being rerouted onto another carrier? IMO, it does.

Cheers
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC E
I'm under the opinion that the OMW service merely gives you the same service to which everybody is normally entitled, but the fee gives you access to a telephone number that is answered within a fortnight. When every passenger is suddenly forced to scramble for alternate travel arrangements, the management at AC surmises that passengers will consider 'front of the queue' treatment is worth the extra money. And if the OMW treatment doesn't really cost AC much, if anything, to administer, it's yet another (ahem) innovative revenue generator.

So the short answer to your question is 'yes', in my opinion.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threepoint
I'm under the opinion that the OMW service merely gives you the same service to which everybody is normally entitled, but the fee gives you access to a telephone number that is answered within a fortnight. When every passenger is suddenly forced to scramble for alternate travel arrangements, the management at AC surmises that passengers will consider 'front of the queue' treatment is worth the extra money. And if the OMW treatment doesn't really cost AC much, if anything, to administer, it's yet another (ahem) innovative revenue generator.

Probably right. It's yet another of these negative "benefits" in the "a la carte" menu. They have to make you suffer if you don't pay extra from the crap.

In other words, they have to make sure it takes hours to talk to someone on the 1-800 line for people who didn't pay for OMW in order to make the thing worthwhile.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:34 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by threepoint

In addition to the improved phone support, it does give you more than other passengers are entitled to as they will take care of you if the problem is weather related. If it is a weather related delay without this coverage (or that provided by many travel credit cards) you are on your own for out of pocket expenses.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:03 pm

Ok, so for $25 you can get a $109 hotel room if your flight is canceled and the next flight isn't until the next day.

I know some airports are bad, but they're not *that* bad. Seriously, do you really end up having to stay overnight unexpectedly 1 in 4 flights? In all the flying I've done that's happened to me once in my life (and it was my own damn fault, I just plain missed the flight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.