FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Opinions on On My Way (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/872162-opinions-my-way.html)

neuron Oct 2, 2008 11:29 am

Opinions on On My Way

Has anyone purchased and had to make use of the On My Way service?

I am debating paying for the OMW option for a LGA-YYZ flight at Xmas time as these flights are perpetually delayed/cancelled (and soliciting opinions).
Although I am * Gold and AC has treated me well enough at LGA, I do not usually expect any priority from AC over other passengers.

So for my last 20 flights on LGA-YYZ or YYZ-LGA, my record is as follows:
on time - 10% (summer)
1-2hr delay - 30% (spring/fall/winter)
2+hr delay - 40% (winter)
Cancelled flights - 20% (winter)
cancelled and rebooked on later flight - 3
cancelled and rebooked on earlier flight - 1

As you can see, most of the flights are delayed (ATC mostly) and as I usually choose either the last or next to last flight, the chances of problems arising are increased.

So my question (after this long preamble), is given these odds, would you buy OMW, or take your chances?

SensFan Oct 2, 2008 1:25 pm

Why not just take an earlier flight so that there are a lot more options in case of a cancellation? If it is delayed then you will still get out, just a bit later. If it is cancelled then you would have more options and as a *G you would be pretty high on the pecking order.

kwflyer Oct 2, 2008 1:29 pm

I'm actually planning on flying that route on Oct 5 and again on the 20, and am interested in knowing as well.

From reading other posts on FT, the OMW seems to be of more value on routes that have chronic cancellations/delays. Judging by your %'s it would seem worthwhile especially since AC is known to drag their heels on customer service issues when it comes to Weather/ATC issues.

But then again you are *Gold so they may just help you out regardless if you have OMW.

On a side note - does anyone know if they open up the bar onboard b/c of an ATC delay? :D I know they've done it for weather.

ALW Oct 2, 2008 1:34 pm

To the OP, you could have stopped with "LGA-YYZ flight at Xmas time" or even "LGA-YYZ flight" or even "LGA" and I'd have said it's worth buying OMW. Though I wonder (i.e. haven't looked up) if OMW will cover you at your home airport or only at a connection or return point.

=aw

PropWasher Oct 2, 2008 6:12 pm

As a non-rev traveller OMW is not available to me.

As a long-time traveller, if it were available, I would buy in a heartbeat.

http://crankyflier.com/2008/04/03/air-canada-on-my-way/

ALW Oct 2, 2008 8:09 pm

Same here, thought substitute "Pass" for "non-rev". Actually if they offered it as an add-on to the entire Pass ($250/$350 for a 10-credit pass) it would still be worth it.

=aw

airbus320 Oct 2, 2008 9:04 pm

I would like to hear from someone who has benefited from this feature.

What was your experience using this service?

StarAlliance2005 Oct 2, 2008 9:36 pm

it's funny how people fall for stuff like this..this is my advice..when you require assistance..you go get it ! you ask for service to whomever is at the airport and you make yourself loud and clear..the hell with OMW bs..you paid for your ticket..ask for options ! END OF STORY

Stranger Oct 2, 2008 11:15 pm

Why one would want to pay for something they are already supposed to do anyway is beyond me.

OK, I should recognize that the world has been taken over by crooks and spin doctors. Except, the Wall Street ones suddenly find themselves in hot water. And with a bit of luck, so will the AC ones? :D

(There presumably is a good side to recessions...)

ALW Oct 3, 2008 12:53 pm

you ask for service to whomever is at the airport and you make yourself loud and clear..the hell with OMW bs..you paid for your ticket..ask for options ! END OF STORY
So if I shout loud enough that AC owes me a free night's hotel when EWR shuts down due to a storm, they'll give it to me? I think I'll let you go first on that one, thanks.

Why one would want to pay for something they are already supposed to do anyway is beyond me.
Because they claim no obligation to accommodate you when the problem is out of their hands, e.g. weather or ATC. OMW covers both. Since EWR almost always blames its problems on weather, and when it's not weather it's excessive volumes, neither of which AC admits to responsibility for, OMW _should_ pay for the hotel when AC's normal conditions won't.

=aw

Clipper801 Oct 3, 2008 2:07 pm

Any one able to confirm who has the higher priority for the next available seat: one who has bought OMW or an SE who has not bought OMW?

The answer to this question will probably determine whether OMW is worth the cost.

shore9 Oct 3, 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801 (Post 10466672)
Any one able to confirm who has the higher priority for the next available seat: one who has bought OMW or an SE who has not bought OMW?

The answer to this question will probably determine whether OMW is worth the cost.

I think many have just assumed that OMW gets priority over status. If this statement is incorrect I think someone from AC would be pretty quick to correct me.

LRESFG Oct 3, 2008 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by shore9 (Post 10466727)
I think many have just assumed that OMW gets priority over status. If this statement is incorrect I think someone from AC would be pretty quick to correct me.

I recall a previous thread where this very question was discussed in detail. I don't think that there was any clear answer at that time and I suspect that it remains an open question. I have yet to hear from anyone who has either purchased OMW or used it despite much curiosity on this and other threads. The other disturbing part of the issue is AC's penchant (along with other airlines) of hiding behind weather as an excuse when other factors are in fact in play. I guess as winter approaches, more people are thinking about it, but I remain skeptical that when IROPS occur, OMW is going to be in any better position to rebook passengers when the airlines themselves don't know what will happen next (airport ops, aircraft repositioning, crews timing out and in the wrong places......)

ALW Oct 3, 2008 2:45 pm

I think this is the thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821622 It's not conclusive but does suggest that in some situations OMW will trump SE.

Certainly for being put in a hotel overnight, OMW will trump SE since the latter doesn't get it as a benefit.

=aw

Academic Oct 3, 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 10466883)
Certainly for being put in a hotel overnight, OMW will trump SE since the latter doesn't get it as a benefit.=aw

I'm not sure that's always the case. I've had weather-related overnights in which a Concierge has been able to get me into a hotel.