Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
So it's useless? I'm sure there is a safety margin settled on by at least an engineering intern and extrapolating from a single sample. Or maybe had some solid engineering study go itnto it.
Straw man. Defining a V1 is necessary. No matter how arbitrary it may be.

Unless there are two lights: "door not sealed but is ok" and "door broken and likely to fall off" then the first light means the second light.

​​​​​
Another straw man. Door won't fall at low altitude.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Some people are making way more out of this than necessary, it’s a pretty straight forward series of procedures to follow.

Scenario:

Safety related EICAS (or simklar) indication during takeoff roll.

1. Above V1? Yes/No

No:
Reject take-off (no other options in most cases) communicate with tower re: rejected take-off and need for brake/tyre check if applicable.

Yes:
Continue with take-off (no choice once passed V1) work QRH procedures for indication, communicate with tower ask for vectors for holding between 3000 and 6000 ft. while working the checklists.

Determine if A/C is within weight limits for overweight landing.

If A/C is within weight limits for overweight landing ask ATC for vectors for overweight landing. Land overweight and follow applicable procedures for overweight landing for the type of A/C.

If A/C is too heavy for overweight landing then ask ATC for vectors for holding pattern to burn fuel until A/C is within limits for overweight landing, land and follow applicable for overweight landing for the type of A/C.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by jaysona
If A/C is too heavy for overweight landing then ask ATC for vectors for holding pattern to burn fuel until A/C is within limits for overweight landing, land and follow applicable for overweight landing for the type of A/C.
Out of curiosity how would that work? If the plane is overweight by a decent amount (i.e. TATL flight) and since jettisoning is not possible per Boeing, the aircraft might have to do circles for many dozens of minutes, perhaps even an hour or more. Do you think passengers might experience any discomforting from the wind and being exposed to the elements? Colour me cynical!

I suppose it would be hard for us to estimate the amount of fuel burn required to make a safe landing since the accident has yet to be investigated let alone a preliminary report being released!

-James
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity how would that work? If the plane is overweight by a decent amount (i.e. TATL flight) and since jettisoning is not possible per Boeing, the aircraft might have to do circles for many dozens of minutes, perhaps even an hour or more. Do you think passengers might experience any discomforting from the wind and being exposed to the elements? Colour me cynical!

I suppose it would be hard for us to estimate the amount of fuel burn required to make a safe landing since the accident has yet to be investigated let alone a preliminary report being released!

-James
Well, B6 292 was circling 2 hours to burn out fuel before landing with a defective landing gear. So yes, burning off the extra fuel may take some time. However, I recall reading somewhere that the reason for narrowbodies not being equipped to jettison fuel is simple: They are withing overweight landing limits even at MTOW. Unfortunately, I can't find the article now.
As far as estimating how much fuel would have the crew of AC1049 burn is concerned, it would be impossible for us. None of the "usual suspects" published the 7M8's MLW yet. So even if we would know the LF, the weight of cargo and somehow managed to estimate the amount of fuel, we still wouldn't know the weight we would wish to reach.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
However, that would entil landing overweight, which safetywise is probably comparable with rejecting takeoff. Both scenarios entail very hard braking.
Not necessarily. Depends entirely on weight of aircraft, length of runway surface, winds, slope, density altitude and lot other variables. Landing overweight at London City Airport will require a different braking strategy than landing overweight at Edwards AFB - to offer two extremes.
Originally Posted by Stranger
V1 is some value more or less arbitrarily selected as being an acceptable limit. In other words, more or less pulled off someone's hat, on the basis of it being reasonable. Keeping odds within a "reasonable" margin.
It sounds like you're stating that V1 is "arbitrary", "pulled out of a hat" and offers a "reasonable margin".
V1 speeds may differ from takeoff to takeoff, but they are the opposite of arbitrary, calculated with precision and as for being 'reasonable', V1 is the speed that determines whether a plane stops on a runway, or beyond it.
Originally Posted by WilcatYXU
None of the "usual suspects" published the 7M8's MLW yet.
Max Landing Weight is 152,800lbs.
Max Takeoff Weight is 181,200lbs.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It sounds like you're stating that V1 is "arbitrary", "pulled out of a hat" and offers a "reasonable margin".
V1 speeds may differ from takeoff to takeoff, but they are the opposite of arbitrary, calculated with precision and as for being 'reasonable', V1 is the speed that determines whether a plane stops on a runway, or beyond it.
They are calculated with precision for every takeoff. (Obviously, operationally, one needs a totally unambiguous criterion.) Calculated based upon some formula that's supposed to provide for an "acceptable" risk. Latter being fully based upon reasonableness, i.e. "pulled off someone's hat." Add to that that no matter what the application, risk estimates are always a very subjective exercise.Bottom line, someone somewhere puts a dollar value on your life. But they likely prefer you not to know that, or god forbid, what value... But of course, what other choice is there?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:38 am

Stranger, while I don't understand your V1 argument enough to agree or disagree with you, I endorse your position about risk being subjective.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:56 pm

Comparing the PSP airport diagram to the picture above, it looks like 31L was used and the a/c exited on J taxiway.
Where the a/c stopped prior to J is anyone's guess.

Factors affecting V1. Runway length, temperature, airport elevation, a/c weight. And no doubt a few others.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
Factors affecting V1. Runway length, temperature, airport elevation, a/c weight. And no doubt a few others.
Such as slope. AC1049 was taking off uphill.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by songsc

A bit late to the discussion, as I just finished reading the report.

On on the second page of the PDF, under Aircraft details, Type of engines, it stated GEnx-1B67. It’s supposed to be GE90-115B?!
@songsc

Looks like someone fixed that

Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unruly passenger removed and hospitalized at YYC

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...lice-1.4983421
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:47 pm

From the story:
"Air Canada Rouge flight RV1683 from Toronto to Victoria diverted to Calgary due to an unruly passenger. The flight was met by the authorities and as this is now a police matter we have no further details to provide. The flight resumed to Victoria after a three-hour delay,"
IDK about you folks but I'd be pretty ticked to find my route went Rogue

Joking aside, what is going on with people these days? They want to turn an inconvenience into a big drama and involve the authorities. Sometimes I wish for the good ol' days when people were polite, respectful and smoked cigarettes in the airport/plane to ease their anger.

-James
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
From the story:

IDK about you folks but I'd be pretty ticked to find my route went Rogue

Joking aside, what is going on with people these days? They want to turn an inconvenience into a big drama and involve the authorities. Sometimes I wish for the good ol' days when people were polite, respectful and smoked cigarettes in the airport/plane to ease their anger.

-James
Given the article heading I would assume some mental illness.

Unfortunate for those on board, but more so for the ill passenger if this is indeed the case.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:30 pm

Agree with WTME above, the article's wording hints of signs of some instability, and let's hope if that was the case, the woman receives the treatment and support she needs.

Does a routine passenger medical/behavioural diversion count as an incident?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:35 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Does a routine passenger medical/behavioural diversion count as an incident?
It has before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.