Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
As much as I dislike cost cutting (rouge), I think almost any airline would be at a disadvantage when diversion back to origin followed by cancellation occurs.

what is the optimal # of staff when you normally need 5 employees? 5 more in case they end up going over hours? But what would 2 more to continuously block and reserve hotels just in case. And 5 more for if back to back flights or a rescue flight on an off-sceduled day of flying occurs.

My opinion is that passenger care/ground accomodation can be handled better by just one consolidated team (co-op), shared by all airlines. Airports could require each operator to contribute a share of normal expenses based on passengers carried each month, and also would be billed 100% of costs incurred for hotels/meals/etc when this "go team" covers for an event that the airline causes.

Sounds like Rouge managed to handle is still better than AC's mainline Tokyo cancellaton a year ago....rubber mats for the terminal, restaurants closed, gave just a hard dinner roll to each passenger.

Last edited by expert7700; Jul 17, 2017 at 5:54 pm
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What exactly is the airline required to do?

LGW has one flight a day (I think?), so after it takes off, I assume all staff are "gone".

For a mechanical issue, meals and hotels and such have to paid for, but is the airline required to handle everything (with prepaid food and hotel vouchers), or is it acceptable to just reimburse passengers after the fact?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What exactly is the airline required to do?

LGW has one flight a day (I think?), so after it takes off, I assume all staff are "gone".

For a mechanical issue, meals and hotels and such have to paid for, but is the airline required to handle everything (with prepaid food and hotel vouchers), or is it acceptable to just reimburse passengers after the fact?
Since this is a flight departing the EU, the 261 regulations apply. The airline is required to provide "duty of care" and accommodations if there is a forced overnight.

The right to care entails:
a) Food and drink: Meals and refreshments “in a reasonable proportion to the waiting time”;
b) Communications: 2 telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails. In practice, airlines often give passengers a telephone card;
c) Accommodation: hotel accommodation where the passenger is rerouted (or the flight delayed) the next day or later as well as transport to/from the hotel.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Since this is a flight departing the EU, the 261 regulations apply. The airline is required to provide "duty of care" and accommodations if there is a forced overnight.

The right to care entails:
a) Food and drink: Meals and refreshments “in a reasonable proportion to the waiting time”;
b) Communications: 2 telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails. In practice, airlines often give passengers a telephone card;
c) Accommodation: hotel accommodation where the passenger is rerouted (or the flight delayed) the next day or later as well as transport to/from the hotel.
But do they have to provide it, or just reimburse it?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Irrelevant. In either case, the airline should have sufficient staff on hand to deal with the passengers. You don't just abandon your customers. Well, at least decent airlines don't.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My guess would be that (1) they have to provide it, but that (2) in case they did not, they should still pay for it, no?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Well, at least decent airlines don't.
Decent airlines might not. But then, any decent one left?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:54 am

They are supposed to provide it. The idea is that if the airline delays/forces an overnight on passengers they should not be out of pocket. Passengers might be stuck at a connecting airport and not have any local currency/not have enough etc.

As the reason for the delay was caused by the airline, the airline has a duty to care for those people it has delayed. Reimbursing after the fact isn't looking after the people in the airlines care.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
My guess would be that (1) they have to provide it, but that (2) in case they did not, they should still pay for it, no?
Correct. It's a legal obligation, not airlines "goodwill"; assuming the delay thresholds have been met.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Irrelevant. In either case, the airline should have sufficient staff on hand to deal with the passengers. You don't just abandon your customers. Well, at least decent airlines don't.
Please name 1 company that has sufficient staffing when problems arise? You will be very hard pressed to find even 1.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Please name 1 company that has sufficient staffing when problems arise? You will be very hard pressed to find even 1.
Since I seldom fly with Air Canada any more, thinking of companies that provide good customer service isn't hard at all. A couple of weeks ago when thunderstorms cancelled a bunch of flights and killed my ride home, Delta were quite proactive in giving me the choice of an alternate routing home, or a hotel for the night while they sorted it out.

Last year I was delayed on a trip home from AMS when the plane went mechanical. KLM had a bunch of agents waiting at the gate to help pax as we disembarked.

Oh hell, I've even received help from United when they couldn't complete a flight. I have zero status with them - or any Star Alliance carrier.

Customer service is far from extinct. Some companies offer it, others choose to abandon their customers. It's your choice who you give your business to.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:48 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Customer service is far from extinct. Some companies offer it, others choose to abandon their customers. It's your choice who you give your business to.
Totally agree.

And there's something about your 'plane went mechanical' phrase that I really like and will steal for future use.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ga...e-blowout.html
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:46 pm

Saw that. But the links at the end of the article to other stories are classics in themselves. Do I see a pattern here?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: TK *G
Saw that. But the links at the end of the article to other stories are classics in themselves. Do I see a pattern here?
That AC is at the bottom of the barrel article should be paired with AC ranked the best airlines in NA by Skytrax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.