Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://london.ctvnews.ca/severe-weat...ndon-1.3512898

Nearly 220 passengers heading to Toronto from Madrid on Air Canada Flight 837 had an unexpected stop in London due to some severe weather.
It was the first time a Boeing 787 Dreamliner ever landed at London International Airport when the plane was diverted due to severe weather in Toronto around noon Thursday.
Passengers were initially told they would refuel and head out again however a mechanical issue was discovered.
Air Canada sent another Boeing 787-9 aircraft as soon as one could became available and the passengers were able to head out again 7:50 pm.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I assume that's YXU, and not LON.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
And Two Four returns with a bang. Nicely done!
24left or 24right?
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kenhamer
24left or 24right?
c
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Would birds of the feathered variety, or some four-legged wildlife trigger the alarms? Can someone explain what a "persistent false target" is? Thanks.

Incident: Jazz DH8D at Toronto on Jul 2nd 2017, cleared for takeoff despite towed aircraft on runway

By Simon Hradecky, created Friday, Jul 21st 2017 19:13Z, last updated Friday, Jul 21st 2017 19:13Z

A Jazz de Havilland Dash 8-400, registration C-FSRY performing flight QK-8875 from Toronto,ON to Windsor,ON (Canada), was cleared for takeoff from Toronto's runway 33R and was accelerating for takeoff, when the crew got sight of a towed Boeing 737-700 crossing the runway shortly before becoming airborne. The 737 and tow truck cleared the runway edge just before the Dash passed. The Dash continued for a safe landing at Windsor.

The Canadian TSB reported ground control cleared the tow truck, towing a Westjet Boeing 737-700, to cross runway 33R at taxiway S about 1460 meters/4800 feet down the runway before tower cleared the Dash for takeoff. The Dash began the takeoff roll when the towed aircraft was in the middle of the runway. The runway has a slight crest with the threshold area slightly lower than the center disabling the crew of the Dash to see the crossing traffic. The Runway Incursion Monitoring and Collision Avoidance System (RIMCAS) had been turned off for runway 33R shortly before the occurrence after a persistent false target produced frequent alarms.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/J...255Z/CYYZ/CYQG
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Sure, delayed, but look at the photo ops those pax had when boarding.

Attached Images   
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I hope they adhered to proper zoned boarding.

I'm also surprised they didn't just rent a couple buses. I don't understand how flying a second 787 to YXU was cost effective.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by 24left
Would birds of the feathered variety, or some four-legged wildlife trigger the alarms?
Not many birds are equipped with transponders
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by After Burner
Not many birds are equipped with transponders

Still, maybe you can then answer the question I posted:

Can someone explain what a "persistent false target" is? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA, AC

Still, maybe you can then answer the question I posted:

Can someone explain what a "persistent false target" is? Thanks.
Don't know what that means but I suspect it's a fancy term for "malfunction".
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I hope they adhered to proper zoned boarding.

I'm also surprised they didn't just rent a couple buses. I don't understand how flying a second 787 to YXU was cost effective.
Were the passengers cleared by CBSA in YXU? If not, then it's "easier" to get a new plane, move the luggage, and fly to YYZ international.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Come on. This is a Rouge destination, what can you expect?

Plus, customers probably got precisely what *they* expected, for what they paid...

Do you fly Rouge? Seriously?
Well perhaps they could have returned to LHR, instead of LGW, where there are plenty of AC staff to help
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Probably because it is not all that easy to get 6 buses out to YXU all that easily. Then there is the logistics of getting the baggage out, cargo would have to stay. Then once at YYZ, the baggage would not be able to be collected at baggage claim, so there's another logistics nightmare.

But I suspect the ultimate reason of not sending buses is AC just didn't want to have to deal with all the complaints from the prima-donna's in J and PY that would not have the same seating and demand compensation as a result.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Geoflying
Well perhaps they could have returned to LHR, instead of LGW, where there are plenty of AC staff to help
LHR is slot constrained, so much easier just to return to the airport of origin instead of trying to get a slot at LHR - especially since there was no imminent danger to the aircraft.

Had the flight crew felt the aircraft was in imminent danger and LHR was closer and safer than LGW, they would have communicated as such. This was not the case, so back to LGW they went.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sure, delayed, but look at the photo ops those pax had when boarding.

https://twitter.com/PaulCreelmanCTV/...75704080252929

By free food, I assume they meant free pretzels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.