Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC cost cutting going to far?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Instead of saying they will charge $5 for video, why not simply increase the fare by $5? Also, if the BOB is also $5, why not include the $5 in the price of the airfare and serve everyone food, if people decline the food then you're in the profit because they still paid for it.
Honestly, who'll notice an extra $10 on most on-ways?... YYC- LAX $129 with no food and no AVOD, or $139 for full food service and AVOD. The choice to me is clear.
All the customer comparing fares will see is that AC is $10 more expensive. And in travel agent computers and online reservations services, priority on the screen goes to the lowest fares, progressing to the highest, so AC beginning with a higher base fare would be biasing itself. What is clear to you is not so clear. Besides, what if I don't want to watch AVOD or have a sandwich. Why should I subsidize you?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Instead of saying they will charge $5 for video, why not simply increase the fare by $5? Also, if the BOB is also $5, why not include the $5 in the price of the airfare and serve everyone food, if people decline the food then you're in the profit because they still paid for it.
Honestly, who'll notice an extra $10 on most on-ways?... YYC- LAX $129 with no food and no AVOD, or $139 for full food service and AVOD. The choice to me is clear.
I'm pretty sure that when they introduced BOB they actually told pax they would cut fare prices, although I'm sure it never happened.

When they say 5 dollars for AVOD, will that be per movie, or for the whole flight?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sebring
All the customer comparing fares will see is that AC is $10 more expensive. And in travel agent computers and online reservations services, priority on the screen goes to the lowest fares, progressing to the highest, so AC beginning with a higher base fare would be biasing itself. What is clear to you is not so clear. Besides, what if I don't want to watch AVOD or have a sandwich. Why should I subsidize you?
Why not just add the $10 as a surcharge or tax, since Canadian's can't seem to get enough of those. In fact, they could call it the FEF surcharge - food, entertainment and fuel surcharge. With the amount of taxes/surcharges already paid in Canada...who would really notice. And that way the $129 fare could be listed in all the TA computers.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:05 am

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Question Straw poll

Originally Posted by shore9
I just took 2 medium to long haul NA flights in the last couple of days, and it seems that AC is further cutting NA J service.
Without wishing to pry into others' financial affairs or spending habits, I am a bit curious to hear the AC forum's answers to the following question :

How often do you fly in paid domestic J on AC ? Not an upgrade, not an award, not the domestic leg of an international J itinerary, but a plain point-to-point Executive class fare within Canada (or North America).

For my part I haven't done so since January, though I've been sat up front often enough since then. The small but noticeable deteriorations in domestic J service (refurbished planes notwithstanding ) in that period are making it less likely that I will bother to pay for it in the future.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:11 am

Programs: Programs? I don't need no stinking programs
Originally Posted by pmax
I don't buy this as a valid argument at all. Part of the "package" from AC is membership in Aeroplan with status benefits, including upgrades. Part of the package you're buying by committing to payiny up-front for a [now overpriced] flight pass is upgrades. That means getting the service that the people paying $3k get (and yes, there are lots of them too). The only way you can view this is those people are getting screwed.
The point is not that upgraded pax are less 'deserving' of a proper J experience than those who've paid for it. The point is that if nobody (or virtually nobody) in the J cabin is actually paying for J, there's not much of an onus on AC to provide a proper J class service, and correspondingly less reason for anyone to pay for J, and so on down into the vicious Cycle of Cheapness until the front cabin becomes nothing more than a glorified version of E+ on United (i.e. a FF perk rather than a premium product).
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by nolens volans
The point is that if nobody (or virtually nobody) in the J cabin is actually paying for J, there's not much of an onus on AC to provide a proper J class service, and correspondingly less reason for anyone to pay for J
The number of J seats on the A-321 is being reduced from 24 to 20. On the A-320 the J cabin is being reduced from 20 seats to 14. You thus seem to be correct.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:16 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by I'llMissCP
But the problem is the BoB is crap. Stale sandwiches, day old salads. On some routes, they haul it across the country for the return. Not even chilled, had it been fresh that morning. More than once, I have witnessed the cart in the aisle containing packages with yesterday's date. Warm beer/wine for $6 is a rip-off.
Well no in that case, I thought BOB would be okay

Down here in Australia we have http://www.virginblue.com.au/pdfs/fl...la_cart_VB.pdf

This is our 2nd major airline which was launched as a LCC, but is now becoming more of a New World Carrier or whatever the saying goes...

Very nice fresh food, the chicken tandoori wrap is YUM!!!!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by shore9
Even if your ticket cost over 1500 dollars for a 4 hour flight?
Yes and No

I am in J I shouldn't have to pay for anything extra I have already paid $1100 extra for the flight which should include food, drinks, better seat etc etc

As lots of airlines have cut back service, and now AC are starting to in J, I would be happy to pay extra if it means I could get nice food even in J. BOB is not appropriate to J on any airline but if it means I can buy some nice food instead of a "fruit and nuts" service it would be ok
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndDee
and now AC are starting to in J,
I don't mean to be rude but they have been cutting J service for years..........

We could start a list:

From 40 inch+ pitch to 37 inch.....

Chocolate...........

Cookies.......

Ice cream...........

Fresh fruit.........

Can anyone add to the cut list?
Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
I don't mean to be rude but they have been cutting J service for years..........

We could start a list:

From 40 inch+ pitch to 37 inch.....

Chocolate...........

Cookies.......

Ice cream...........

Fresh fruit.........

Can anyone add to the cut list?
Not rude at all ! Stating the facts!

I have only had a real interest in AC for about 9 months so I have missed a bit !
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Earlier this week I met in Montreal an AC FA with lots of seniority, and he metioned to me that he heard about plans to charge for meals on the flights to London in Y.

Would it be surprising? Not really! Look how fast they removed meal service in Y from the Caribbean flights.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:02 am
ALW

For those who paid in USD, that represents a 50% increase from 4 to 6 dollars US.
So? Their dollar is falling, AC would (should) be charging U$5/C$5 if there were no increase.

=aw
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nolens volans
Without wishing to pry into others' financial affairs or spending habits, I am a bit curious to hear the AC forum's answers to the following question :

How often do you fly in paid domestic J on AC ? Not an upgrade, not an award, not the domestic leg of an international J itinerary, but a plain point-to-point Executive class fare within Canada (or North America).

For my part I haven't done so since January, though I've been sat up front often enough since then. The small but noticeable deteriorations in domestic J service (refurbished planes notwithstanding ) in that period are making it less likely that I will bother to pay for it in the future.
I flew YYZ/YUL 2 weeks ago on a C(discounted J) ticket.I received 1 drink with no meal service.(international 763 config,non refurbished)
I flew YYZ/YUL on Wednesday this week on a Latitude pass(M class) and did an u/g to J.Received 2 glasses of wine(served chilled^) and a choice of meals.(domestic 767 no less)

IMO both segments were at times outside of meal service.

R/T flights were/are 777 service.There was a meal provided with choices on a 2 pm departure.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Vaclav
Earlier this week I met in Montreal an AC FA with lots of seniority, and he metioned to me that he heard about plans to charge for meals on the flights to London in Y.

Would it be surprising? Not really! Look how fast they removed meal service in Y from the Caribbean flights.
Paying for airline meals? No thanks. I never eat the free ones as it is now so can't imagine I'd pay for a Cara special mystery meal.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
Paying for airline meals? No thanks. I never eat the free ones as it is now so can't imagine I'd pay for a Cara special mystery meal.
Will get to witness 1st hand the BOB for YYZ/BGI this winter.Flights are catered for both directions with o/b at 8:45am and return at 4pm.
Imagine what will be avaiable for the 5 hour return flight.The previous supplied meals were always overdone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.