Wiki Posts
Search

AC cost cutting going to far?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
AC cost cutting going to far?

I just took 2 medium to long haul NA flights in the last couple of days, and it seems that AC is further cutting NA J service. Firstly, the salt and pepper shakers seem to have changed to a simple package. The cookie's and ice cream / cheese and fruit service on transcon seems to also be done away with and replaced with nothing.

Now I realize that most in J are likely on passes, or upgrades, however it seems to me that they are cutting costs too far.

Another thing is that with the refurb program, it seems to me they could do more. NZ has 4 or 5 times the IFE that AC has, why is that? Seems to me that AC is too cheap to pay the extra bit of money for a much more premuim product (something I am sure that the value to the customer would outweigh the additional cost to AC). Even the cabin upkeep on NZ seemed better than AC. I also read in Enroute that in October they will start charging for movies in Y, yet many a/c still have to be re-done. How about focusing on completing the refurb program, and building a good product before penny pinching all your customers?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by shore9
I just took 2 medium to long haul NA flights in the last couple of days, and it seems that AC is further cutting NA J service. Firstly, the salt and pepper shakers seem to have changed to a simple package. The cookie's and ice cream / cheese and fruit service on transcon seems to also be done away with and replaced with nothing.

Now I realize that most in J are likely on passes, or upgrades, however it seems to me that they are cutting costs too far.

Another thing is that with the refurb program, it seems to me they could do more. NZ has 4 or 5 times the IFE that AC has, why is that? Seems to me that AC is too cheap to pay the extra bit of money for a much more premuim product (something I am sure that the value to the customer would outweigh the additional cost to AC). Even the cabin upkeep on NZ seemed better than AC. I also read in Enroute that in October they will start charging for movies in Y, yet many a/c still have to be re-done. How about focusing on completing the refurb program, and building a good product before penny pinching all your customers?
All of this has been dealt with in other threads. On the IFE question, the content is to be upgraded when the installations of AVOD reach critical mass in January and AC begins charging for it within North America.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sebring
All of this has been dealt with in other threads. On the IFE question, the content is to be upgraded when the installations of AVOD reach critical mass in January and AC begins charging for it within North America.
Yes this has been dealth with in other threads, but yet again another unhappy J customer!

The October movie guide as per the AC website http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ent/index.html
has changed

September:
Now with 12 films and 35 all new TV shows (should be hours) of tv programming on North American.... Coming soon a $5 charge...

October
Now with 14 fims and 50 hours of all new TV shows.. Please note that a $5 charge will apply on all North American routes over 3 hours.

Soo the question has anyone been charged for this yet or in the next 4 weeks ?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by AndDee
Yes this has been dealth with in other threads, but yet again another unhappy J customer!
Yes but the OP has been unhappy with AC for years so that can be taken into account.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:27 pm

The October movie guide as per the AC website http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ent/index.html
has changed

September:
Now with 12 films and 35 all new TV shows (should be hours) of tv programming on North American.... Coming soon a $5 charge...

October
Now with 14 fims and 50 hours of all new TV shows.. Please note that a $5 charge will apply on all North American routes over 3 hours.

Soo the question has anyone been charged for this yet or in the next 4 weeks ?
A fee won't be charged until January.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Saw this YUL-SFO this week. No second service - just a chocolate bar or chips. It used to be that the YYZ-SFO late flight had no second service (lame, but I buy their argument), but the others had it. Now I suppose they don't. Unfortunate...
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
I don't buy this as a valid argument at all. Part of the "package" from AC is membership in Aeroplan with status benefits, including upgrades. Part of the package you're buying by committing to payiny up-front for a [now overpriced] flight pass is upgrades. That means getting the service that the people paying $3k get (and yes, there are lots of them too). The only way you can view this is those people are getting screwed.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Regardless of whether I am happy with AC or not, that is not my point. At the rate that they are going, BOB will soon be introduced in J. Another note, I see that the price of alcohol has gone up to 6 dollars CDN. For those who paid in USD, that represents a 50% increase from 4 to 6 dollars US.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Regardless of whether I am happy with AC or not, that is not my point. At the rate that they are going, BOB will soon be introduced in J. Another note, I see that the price of alcohol has gone up to 6 dollars CDN. For those who paid in USD, that represents a 50% increase from 4 to 6 dollars US.
I would rather BOB than a crappy meal service
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Even if your ticket cost over 1500 dollars for a 4 hour flight?
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:41 pm

But the problem is the BoB is crap. Stale sandwiches, day old salads. On some routes, they haul it across the country for the return. Not even chilled, had it been fresh that morning. More than once, I have witnessed the cart in the aisle containing packages with yesterday's date. Warm beer/wine for $6 is a rip-off.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by I'llMissCP
But the problem is the BoB is crap. Stale sandwiches, day old salads. On some routes, they haul it across the country for the return. Not even chilled, had it been fresh that morning. More than once, I have witnessed the cart in the aisle containing packages with yesterday's date. Warm beer/wine for $6 is a rip-off.
That's the way it will go. I'm sure overtime the food will get worse, yet the price will go up, and AC will try and put a positive spin on it somehow. That's just how they do business.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
That's the way it will go. I'm sure overtime the food will get worse, yet the price will go up, and AC will try and put a positive spin on it somehow. That's just how they do business.
Shore9, the only way you will be happy is to sign up for this, www.netjets.com
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:18 pm

Instead of saying they will charge $5 for video, why not simply increase the fare by $5? Also, if the BOB is also $5, why not include the $5 in the price of the airfare and serve everyone food, if people decline the food then you're in the profit because they still paid for it.
Honestly, who'll notice an extra $10 on most on-ways?... YYC- LAX $129 with no food and no AVOD, or $139 for full food service and AVOD. The choice to me is clear.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: Now AC Peon, *A nobody, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
Honestly, who'll notice an extra $10 on most on-ways?... YYC- LAX $129 with no food and no AVOD, or $139 for full food service and AVOD. The choice to me is clear.
Not if westjet flys the same route and is charging $129. Then I think the choice is clear for many people...unfortunately the other way.

As I agree, BOB+avod+Elite with AC and I would pay 10 bucks over WJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.