Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Call Centre Glitch (won't recognize inputs from certain cell phones)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

When calling the priority aircanada number, after entering my aeroplan number, then saying the code they send, they now offer an number of options. When trying to answer, i.e. pressing "1" for reservations, their system never gets my answer. Repeats the menu and asks again the answer a few times, then eventually say "good bye" and hangs up on me. (Same would happen with he number they send if I tried entering it instead of saying it. But for the answer to the menu there is no option of saying the answer.)

When trying to call the concierge, a similar issue comes up when tying to answer the question on travelling today or later. They never pick my answer and eventually hang up. This is using an iPhone 15.

I still can get through to Aeroplan.

Welcome to the beautiful world of our beloved Mapleflot...
Old Jan 27, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Yes it should work, but try using a wifi dialing app on your phone or a laptop.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Yes it should work, but try using a wifi dialing app on your phone or a laptop.
I set up wifi dialing on my iPhone. No difference.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: Free Agent
Messenger seems to be the only tool with modest level of interaction esp when travelling internationally.
We dialed 'local' number in Germany and the call cut off immediately.
Frustrated that the SM agent/bot refused to provide info on how to find the concierge in FRA...
Old Jan 28, 2024, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canolakid
Messenger seems to be the only tool with modest level of interaction esp when travelling internationally.
Frustrated that the SM agent/bot refused to provide info on how to find the concierge in FRA...
Except,I am at home, in Canada...

It's not that the call gets cut off, but hat their system does not capture when I press numbers on the keypad, beyond initially pressing 1 for English, then my Aeroplan number. These it gets, but the security code it does not capture, reacts as if I had never answered. Saying the security code gets me to the next menu, 1 for reservation, etc. But pressing a number of the keypad leads to no reaction, their system repeats the menu, still does not get my answer, and finally says that without an answer the cannot continue. For that answer, pressing the keypad is the only option, no option of sying the answer.

I cannot believe nobody else has the issue?
Old Jan 28, 2024, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger
pressing a number of the keypad leads to no reaction, their system repeats the menu, still does not get my answer, and finally says that without an answer the cannot continue. For that answer, pressing the keypad is the only option, no option of sying the answer.

I cannot believe nobody else has the issue?
from time to time, AC's phone menus don't recognize my Pixel 6 or 7 phone's DTMF inputs.

A variety of enabling or disabling wifi calling, setting it to use carrier only vs data, or simply turning speakerphone on or off often resolves.

//sadly old enough to remember "if you're calling from a rotary phone please stay on the line"
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I had no issues calling in yesterday.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
from time to time, AC's phone menus don't recognize my Pixel 6 or 7 phone's DTMF inputs.

A variety of enabling or disabling wifi calling, setting it to use carrier only vs data, or simply turning speakerphone on or off often resolves.

//sadly old enough to remember "if you're calling from a rotary phone please stay on the line"
Seems you were right. Instead of streaming to my ear pieces, I used speakerphone and it worked. I still don't understand why their system has no prfoblem understanding the first options, up to aeroplan number, but never gets the security code and further options, when using the same configuration... Someone must have implemented a quick hack.

And BTW I obviously remember rotary phones too. :-(
yscleo and expert7700 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Titanium
While in France, using a French sim on my iPhone, I have many times where AC won't recognize the tones from my phone, usually at Ski Stations. In Cities, it's usually fine. I will try going to speaker phone on and off. Thanks for the tip.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 2:06 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canolakid
Just curious, which 'local' number did you dial in Germany? 00800-66992222? The 00800 prefix can be confusing as we also have the 0800 prefix for toll-free calls in Germany. However, this number is Air Canada's reservations office in Frankfurt-Niederrad (which is open from 9am-5:30pm Mo-Fr and closed on weekends) and not an office at Frankfurt airport.

I have seen the concierge in FRA at the check-in area, in the MLL and during boarding at the gate, usually at the entrance of the line for Groups 1 and 2.

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Feb 7, 2024 at 5:13 am
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Yesterday I called AC using google phones (actually my wife's) because AC messed my bookings, and even deleted one booking. I waited nearly 2 hours before speaking to an agent. We're in Asia traveling, and called the Canadian toll free number.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I always find it easier to email the concierge team. I am also not really a big fan of talking with phone agent and being on hold forever (unfortunately it now becomes the norm that for any complicate issues (aka, you cannot do it online) the agent will put you on hold for an hour).
CdnFlier likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I always find it easier to email the concierge team. I am also not really a big fan of talking with phone agent and being on hold forever (unfortunately it now becomes the norm that for any complicate issues (aka, you cannot do it online) the agent will put you on hold for an hour).
The SE reservation line usually answers right away, if you can get through the menus. Concierge is another story.

I have not used to concierge e-mail, except a local one once. But I never heard back from an e-mail sent to the superelite e-mail tn days ago. I ended up being able to phone, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

E-mails to credit do eventually work.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:28 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
I've noticed this as well lately. Whenever they need to talk to ticketing or check with anyone, it becomes an hour very quickly. That never used to take that long except in extreme/rare circumstances really.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:02 am

i'm not totally sure that this is the solution but i think that it's possible that if you can't get a system to recognize your input, that perhaps your phone is not generating the necessary DTMF (dual tone multi frequency) sounds.

on my android, if i go into the phone app/settings/sound and vibration, i see an on/off setting for "Dial pad tones." although i'm not 100% sure, i believe most phones have a similar setting. it would be worth checking out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.