Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information – if it’s about AC/Aeroplan, it doesn’t belong in this thread. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may should be posted to the relevant forum, as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities, and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are here: original 2004 - 2014 thread, 2015, 2016 , 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:34 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS
A) A local strong IPA, 7.5% or so.

B) additional (A)
Repeat this about four times over and that was my night in Asakasa last night,
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by warrens
Repeat this about four times over and that was my night in Asakasa last night,
How’s Japanese IPA tasting?

For some reason, most Japanese beer I consumed appears to be on the “too light” side.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 5:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Bittermen's tiki bitters might be an okay substitute?
That could work.

BTW - There's a 1934 version of this drink which has some differences, the biggest being three ounces of rum per drink versus two.

Have not tried that one yet.
billdokes likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Changeup2000
How’s Japanese IPA tasting?

For some reason, most Japanese beer I consumed appears to be on the “too light” side.
Encountering a pretty wide variety of taste profiles, but not a lot to my liking. P2 and I burned through four floats of IPAs and sours from across the country before we found two we really liked, and then worked on emptying those barrels for a few hours.

​​​​What I do like is that there does seem to be a lot of passion for microbreweries and new places that are trying new things. But as with whiskey, they have to import their traditions and techniques from elsewhere, and so the scene still feels to me like Ontario 20 years ago.... After Waterloo, but before Collective, I guess. I don't know for sure, I'm still trying to figure it out.
yulscs likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 9:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
That could work.

BTW - There's a 1934 version of this drink which has some differences, the biggest being three ounces of rum per drink versus two.

Have not tried that one yet.
I thought the first one you posted looked good. Lots of syrup, but I like things sweet. I'd definitely try the 2 oz one first. Unfortunately the minibar in my room has none of the required supplies.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:50 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
It bothers me when people aren't precise about timing with e-mails sent late in the day (or possibly very early in the morning). I used to do a lot of business with people in Europe, and if I knew timing was important, I would say something like "I'll have this to you by close of business London time" or "I'll get this to you today, but that's going to be at some point before I go to bed tonight [which might be 7AM London time], so don't wait up for it."

Not everyone is so precise, and that can be frustrating when there are important business deadlines. But I find this in my personal life as well.

For instance, I just got an e-mail from Savannah. She's looking for a meetup tonight. She's young and wild, loves to try new things, and is very open minded, so I would very much like to meet her.

Unfortunately, it's unclear what she means by "tonight". This e-mail was sent at 01:21 YYC time. Does she think of "tonight" like AC's operational days, in which case she thinks I'm still awake and is hoping to meet up in the next 2-3 hours or so? Or is she trying to arrange a rendezvous for later this calendar day, like maybe 20:00 YYC time? I'm concerned that in the time it might take to resolve this communication snafu, I'll either miss my chance to meet up with her (operational) "tonight", or will stay up too late and be too tired to meet up (calendar) "tonight".

If only she had been more precise, I wouldn't have this dilemma!
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
...Savannah. She's looking for a meetup tonight. She's young and wild, loves to try new things, and is very open minded, so I would very much like to meet her.
​​​​​Sadly the only young, wild, and open minded meetup requests *I* get are illegal/immoral/or attempts to trickroll. (One can always order wallets with a bulk discount to plan for the later).
​​​​​
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
My first thought was "Savannah, GA is EST - end of business is more or less the same time as in AB". My second thought was "Oh, never mind". ;-)
Old Jan 15, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I'm sure Savannah is able to process your bitcoin payment, 24/7, Adam Smith . And will schedule your face to face on Twensday, Nevember 34.

HTH

HAND
ffsim, nomadic.relief and yulscs like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:36 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm sure Savannah is able to process your bitcoin payment, 24/7, Adam Smith . And will schedule your face to face on Twensday, Nevember 34.
Huh, is the 34th a Twensday this year? Septober must be a leap month.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:45 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
When your friend finally committed to the trip after a day of back and forth but the $169 flight is now $450
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:28 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
When your friend finally committed to the trip after a day of back and forth but the $169 flight is now $450
https://youtu.be/JHdkLUl3hxM?si=Clled7ud8WUGjzIB
This is why I travel solo lol. Haven't had flight price increasing this much, but one time I waited a few hours and the hotel I wanted sold out completely.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:35 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by songsc
This is why I travel solo lol. Haven't had flight price increasing this much, but one time I waited a few hours and the hotel I wanted sold out completely.
Hotels are expensive traveling solo. I started to partner up because I want to control my travel budget
Old Jan 16, 2024, 7:51 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Hotels are expensive traveling solo. I started to partner up because I want to control my travel budget
I’ve had some issues sharing hotels when I was still single. Hard to bring my tinder matches back to the room when my friend is sleeping there. Plus the better rooms usually only have a king bed.
billdokes and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: TK *G
I am never a fan of sharing hotel room with non family members. At some time in my life I just decided that I had to make decisions between reducing my travels or focusing on improving my financial situation to the point that I can comfortably afford a hotel room by myself.

I know it can be fun to travel with a friend, but having the whole room to myself is much more valuable to me now.
billdokes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.