Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information if its about AC/Aeroplan, it doesnt belong in this thread. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may should be posted to the relevant forum, as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities, and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are here: original 2004 - 2014 thread, 2015, 2016 , 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2024)

Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
From the NHL video on the Rielly incident. "This is not a hockey play. This is an intentional, forceful stick to an opponent's head using the stick as a weapon to exact retribution on an opponent well after a goal has been scored".

I guess 5 games is better than nothing, but I'm really disappointed that after all these years of cracking down on goons and concerns for player safety and concussions, an act of such pure thuggery gets so little punishment.
I'll preface this by saying I hate the Leafs more than the idea of a middle seat in economy on AC33.

Perron got 6 games for a very similar (cross check to the head after the whistle, an intentional act and not a hockey play, player without a suspension history) incident this year but the Sens player receiving that attack (Zub) actually got injured and missed games and NHL DOPS takes that into consideration. It seems like 5 games is reasonable given the comparable, which happened this year. Of course Twitter is full of leafs fans dredging up every high stick incident from the last 20 years that got less than 5 games and trying to compare it.

What gets me is the "not a hockey play" part of this. I wish the NHL would crack down on it more in general - it would be one thing if this was a battle in front of the net and a cross check rides up and catches him in the head. That sucks and should be penalized but at least you can say hey, he was trying to play hockey and made a mistake with his stick and should pay a consequence. But this isn't during the course of play, it has nothing to do with playing hockey - it is basically an attack, and a cowardly one at that. I kind of feel like the NHL came down and said "you do this after the whistle and you get 10+ games automatically" it would drastically reduce the number of times it happens.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:00 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
L M A O

Lyft Chief Financial Officer Erin Brewer said on the earnings call that the company had misstated its margin expansion in the press release. Rather than 500 basis points, or 5%, of growth for 2024, as the company initially indicated, the actual increase will be 50 basis points, or 0.5%, Brewer said. This is actually a correction for the press release, Brewer said. Lyfts stock soared more than 60% minutes after the earnings release hit and is now up about 16%. The swift drop represents a market cap decline of well over $2 billion for a company that closed the day valued at less than $5 billion.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/13/lyft...-guidance.html
asovse1 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:00 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I'll preface this by saying I hate the Leafs more than the idea of a middle seat in economy on AC33.

Perron got 6 games for a very similar (cross check to the head after the whistle, an intentional act and not a hockey play, player without a suspension history) incident this year but the Sens player receiving that attack (Zub) actually got injured and missed games and NHL DOPS takes that into consideration. It seems like 5 games is reasonable given the comparable, which happened this year. Of course Twitter is full of leafs fans dredging up every high stick incident from the last 20 years that got less than 5 games and trying to compare it.

What gets me is the "not a hockey play" part of this. I wish the NHL would crack down on it more in general - it would be one thing if this was a battle in front of the net and a cross check rides up and catches him in the head. That sucks and should be penalized but at least you can say hey, he was trying to play hockey and made a mistake with his stick and should pay a consequence. But this isn't during the course of play, it has nothing to do with playing hockey - it is basically an attack, and a cowardly one at that. I kind of feel like the NHL came down and said "you do this after the whistle and you get 10+ games automatically" it would drastically reduce the number of times it happens.
I hadn't previously seen the Perron incident, and that one is also horrific. Although Zub wasn't injured and didn't miss any games (cross-check was December 9), it does put somewhat of a cap on the Rielly suspension, which is unfortunate, because these are both things that should easily be double-digit suspensions. Incredible that in the Perron case, it wasn't even "righteous" retribution against the person who committed the offence. But when you legitimize thuggish behaviour, what else do you expect?

I agree that in addition to tougher discipline, something automatic for incidents after the whistle would help.

Sadly I suspect the people running the league are still too stuck in the 14th century to contemplate that.

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Lyft Chief Financial Officer Erin Brewer said on the earnings call that the company had misstated its margin expansion in the press release. Rather than 500 basis points, or 5%, of growth for 2024, as the company initially indicated, the actual increase will be 50 basis points, or 0.5%, Brewer said. “This is actually a correction for the press release,” Brewer said. Lyft’s stock soared more than 60% minutes after the earnings release hit and is now up about 16%. The swift drop represents a market cap decline of well over $2 billion for a company that closed the day valued at less than $5 billion.
I've never worked for a company anywhere near as high-profile as Lyft, yet press releases have always had so many eyes on them that it's unthinkable that such a huge error could be made. I'm sure it was a last-minute change that someone made in a rush in all that, but on something so important... wow.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I hadn't previously seen the Perron incident, and that one is also horrific. Although Zub wasn't injured and didn't miss any games (cross-check was December 9), it does put somewhat of a cap on the Rielly suspension, which is unfortunate, because these are both things that should easily be double-digit suspensions. Incredible that in the Perron case, it wasn't even "righteous" retribution against the person who committed the offence. But when you legitimize thuggish behaviour, what else do you expect?

I agree that in addition to tougher discipline, something automatic for incidents after the whistle would help.

Sadly I suspect the people running the league are still too stuck in the 14th century to contemplate that.
I know about as much about hockey as I do about botany, but at what point does something like this go from being "part of the game" to a criminal assault?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 11:40 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I know about as much about hockey as I do about botany, but at what point does something like this go from being "part of the game" to a criminal assault?
Somewhere between there and this incident, which did lead to a criminal charge.

tcook052 and yyznomad like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 13, 2024 at 11:47 pm
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:15 pm

Nice to see the Rielly suspension at least not get reduced.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:13 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Nice to see the Rielly suspension at least not get reduced.
A rare occasion I agree with (and enjoy) Bettman's comments.
Specifically calling out their testimony about being "provoked" lol.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
A rare occasion I agree with (and enjoy) Bettman's comments.
Specifically calling out their testimony about being "provoked" lol.
Yeah, that was good. We can argue that Grieg broke some silly unwritten code with the slapper into the empty net, but the reaction was nowhere near proportionate to the perceived offence.
billdokes and CanadianMike like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Yeah, that was good. We can argue that Grieg broke some silly unwritten code with the slapper into the empty net, but the reaction was nowhere near proportionate to the perceived offence.
I just wish it had happened against another team than Ottawa. I am going on two weeks of my Ottawa Senators feed at The Athletic being polluted by articles posted by the Leafs fans posing as journalists over there.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:09 pm

I just wish it had happened against another team than Ottawa. I am going on two weeks of my Ottawa Senators feed at The Athletic being polluted by articles posted by the Leafs fans posing as journalists over there.
For sure. Leafs fans are the worst!
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: AC 50K, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Don't worry, the leafs, journos, and their fans will be true to form with normal service resumed with every cliche in the book including lack of heart; after they get bounced in the first/second round of the playoffs.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by kronos80
Don't worry, the leafs, journos, and their fans will be true to form with normal service resumed with every cliche in the book including lack of heart; after they get bounced in the first/second round of the playoffs.
The is why they should trade their 1st round pick for Tanev. Grit, heart, the ability to play defense... all the things they lack, he has in spades.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: AC 50K, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The is why they should trade their 1st round pick for Tanev. Grit, heart, all the things they lack, he has in spades.
Being a Flames fan and growing up in Calgary, I am still haunted by the Gilmour trade and the Flames being fleeced by Fletcher, was 12 at the time. For me it was one of those where were you moments. Will never forget it that is for sure.

I like Tanev and I really hope he doesn't go there, mainly out of spite of TO, but if he does has to be a first rounder.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by kronos80
Being a Flames fan and growing up in Calgary, I am still haunted by the Gilmour trade and the Flames being fleeced by Fletcher, was 12 at the time. For me it was one of those where were you moments. Will never forget it that is for sure.
And don't forget the more modern version when Burke got Phaneuf for a grab bag of spare parts (back when Phaneuf was one of the most promising young defencemen in the league, before the became the overpaid jerk who never quite lived up to his perceived potential). That reminded me of trading my little brother a bunch of crappy hockey cards for one good one - "I'm being nice to you, I'm giving you four guys, and you just have to give me this one! It's a great deal for you, you get way more guys!"

I like Tanev and I really hope he doesn't go there, mainly out of spite of TO, but if he does has to be a first rounder.
I just want to maximize the return. If the Leafs have the best package, send him there. If Dallas has a better offer, off to Texas he goes.

But I'm puzzled by reports that Conroy has been looking for a 2nd rounder. There are plenty of comps from recent years of less desirable guys going for a 1st, and Tanev's contract is cheaper than guys like Chiarot too.
RatherBeInYOW and kronos80 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Two days straight where I got scolded by my mom for wanting to travel two weekends in a row

She doesn't even know about my intent to go to the ottawa DO yet lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.