Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Forum Hang-Out Thread (2024)(formerly Forum Lounge Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information if its about AC/Aeroplan, it doesnt belong in this thread. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may should be posted to the relevant forum, as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities, and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are here: original 2004 - 2014 thread, 2015, 2016 , 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Hang-Out Thread (2024)(formerly Forum Lounge Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024 | 12:36 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Thank you for the reminder to keep being immensely grateful for stumbling into the role/career I have - I'll keep my location unpredictability/theoretical employment instability over all that nonsense thank you very much.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 4:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Credit Card owning Peasant), Avios (Peasant), Flying Blue (Exploring Peasant)
Originally Posted by songsc
And is this the norm or anomaly?
At this point, I've heard tell from other colleagues in IT that it's all over the place and everyone does it in their own chaotic, dysfunctional ways. I've had people straight up locked out of their Slack, etc before being officially notified on their personal emails of the call to officially find out they're being canned. I've seen people laid off on all days of the week, gone is the reliability of being leery of last minute HR meetings on Mondays/Fridays.

For example, if your org is a publicly traded company that has an upcoming earnings call and you get an HR meeting on your calendar in the days leading up to said call? Magic eight ball says "Outlook not good.'

Anyway, this is a grim topic and so, for a little bit of positivity - for those of us with a job that pays the bills, let us be thankful. For those that are affected, make the most of your time off, keep your chin up and prep yourself for the next gig. Through all of this, remember one thing - you are not your job. You have an identity outside of work, what you do for money is only a small facet of who you are as a person and a relatively newer one in your life, at that. Losing it doesn't make you less of a person, how you handle it reflects on who you are. Be strong, enjoy everyday and strive to be happy.
Old Jan 24, 2024 | 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SidK
At this point, I've heard tell from other colleagues in IT that it's all over the place and everyone does it in their own chaotic, dysfunctional ways. I've had people straight up locked out of their Slack, etc before being officially notified on their personal emails of the call to officially find out they're being canned. I've seen people laid off on all days of the week, gone is the reliability of being leery of last minute HR meetings on Mondays/Fridays.

For example, if your org is a publicly traded company that has an upcoming earnings call and you get an HR meeting on your calendar in the days leading up to said call? Magic eight ball says "Outlook not good.'

Anyway, this is a grim topic and so, for a little bit of positivity - for those of us with a job that pays the bills, let us be thankful. For those that are affected, make the most of your time off, keep your chin up and prep yourself for the next gig. Through all of this, remember one thing - you are not your job. You have an identity outside of work, what you do for money is only a small facet of who you are as a person and a relatively newer one in your life, at that. Losing it doesn't make you less of a person, how you handle it reflects on who you are. Be strong, enjoy everyday and strive to be happy.
Thank you. Post of the week. Definitely post of the year-to-date.
painintheuk, ffsim, D582 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024 | 2:05 pm
10 Countries Visited500k100 Nights5 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
"Unprofessional" Me?

Irreverent, maybe.

Inbound formal note for the permanent file.
Old Jan 25, 2024 | 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Inbound formal note for the permanent file.
That sucks. Been there - luckily nothing came of it in the end. Hope you can put it behind you now and focus on more important things.
Old Jan 26, 2024 | 6:10 pm
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Just road up in the elevator which a bunch of the Leafs. They are staying on my floor.

If somone wants an edge in over/under, let me know and maybe unnamed conspirators will start knocking on their doors at odd hours. I'm sure we can work something out.
Old Jan 26, 2024 | 6:56 pm
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Just road up in the elevator which a bunch of the Leafs. They are staying on my floor.

If somone wants an edge in over/under, let me know and maybe unnamed conspirators will start knocking on their doors at odd hours. I'm sure we can work something out.
Can't be too many hotels that NHL players use in the 'peg. ;-)
Old Jan 28, 2024 | 7:14 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
My 49ers are really stressing me out right now
Old Jan 28, 2024 | 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
My 49ers are really stressing me out right now
I'm trying to stream it on AC from over the Pacific ocean, so it is a bit stuttery. But good game so far, feeling the 49ers have turned a corner and are going to win.
Old Jan 28, 2024 | 7:26 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I'm trying to stream it on AC from over the Pacific ocean, so it is a bit stuttery. But good game so far, feeling the 49ers have turned a corner and are going to win.
Theyre absolutely doing much better on both sides of the ball. A pair of 4th down stops in the 2nd half have solidified their lead for now.
Old Jan 28, 2024 | 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim
Theyre absolutely doing much better on both sides of the ball. A pair of 4th down stops in the 2nd half have solidified their lead for now.
See I told you! ;-)
ffsim likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024 | 8:12 pm
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
See I told you! ;-)
You nailed it!

Now onto the revenge match against the Chiefs
Old Jan 30, 2024 | 9:57 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I'm home for the next 5-6 weeks, anyone ready for a YOW Winter-DO?

It might be -12 that day, it might be +5, you'll just have to show up and see!
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 7, 2024 at 12:53 pm Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
Old Jan 30, 2024 | 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I'm home for the next 5-6 weeks, anyone ready for a YOW Winter-DO?

It might be -12 that day, it might be +5, you'll just have to show up and see!
So I was actually chatting with recreationaltimetraveller about a YOW trip.

And I have two FP credits expiring Feb 13. Better to use them than pay the extension...
YOWgary likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 7, 2024 at 12:54 pm Reason: Edit quoted post
Old Jan 30, 2024 | 10:37 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

I vote for either of the first 2 weekends of March for YOW Do! I know, I know, doesn't meet the cow's needs. I'm just throwing it out there.
Nitehawk, D582 and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.