Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2024, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
The original forum lounge thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information – if it’s about AC/Aeroplan, it doesn’t belong in this thread. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may should be posted to the relevant forum, as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge, that doesn't mean that the FT rules don't apply here (they definitely do), please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities, and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

For those interested, previous versions are here: original 2004 - 2014 thread, 2015, 2016 , 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PLeblond
There are better reasons to go to Anguilla. And there are much, much worst reasons.

Wait...is there a bad reason to go to Anguilla?
I think it would be a bad idea to go there expecting to ski...
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:02 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think it would be a bad idea to go there expecting to ski...
I'm sure they offer water-skiing. (Sorry too easy)

That being said I just got an idea that one day, I need to fly to one of the smaller Caribbean Island dressed liked this and pick up a ski bag at baggage claim.

Priceless!
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I'm sure they offer water-skiing. (Sorry too easy)
If it's on water, it's not "skiing", it's "water-skiing"

That being said I just got an idea that one day, I need to fly to one of the smaller Caribbean Island dressed liked this and pick up a ski bag at baggage claim.
I think it would be better to do that in Kiribati - "What do you mean there's no snow, I thought this was called Christmas Island?!?"
yulscs likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 4:36 pm

If it's on water, it's not "skiing", it's "water-skiing"

I think it would be better to do that in Kiribati - "What do you mean there's no snow, I thought this was called Christmas Island?!?"
Ironically, I've looked into booking flights to both TRW and XCH.

Yes, I have a problem.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 9:17 pm

What is it with headhunters and LinkedIn? I've been corresponding with one over the last few weeks about an opportunity, and I told him at the outset (same as I told him a couple of years ago when we first met) that I rarely check LinkedIn and he should contact me via e-mail or messaging app (and so we've been e-mailing), and tonight I see that a few days ago he invited me to an event... via LinkedIn message.

I've found this same annoying habit with a number of others over the last few years. Anyone have any insight on this? I get it when they're first blasting out an opportunity or whatever, but outside of that, do they really expect everyone to just constantly be on LinkedIn? I decided years ago that it had gone downhill and wasn't worth monitoring actively or checking very frequently, and a lot of people I know feel the same. Am I off-market?

Ironically, I've looked into booking flights to both TRW and XCH.

Yes, I have a problem.
What's the problem, that you've looked in to it but haven't ever booked them?
canadiancow and vancouver25k like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:09 am

What is it with headhunters and LinkedIn? I've been corresponding with one over the last few weeks about an opportunity, and I told him at the outset (same as I told him a couple of years ago when we first met) that I rarely check LinkedIn and he should contact me via e-mail or messaging app (and so we've been e-mailing), and tonight I see that a few days ago he invited me to an event... via LinkedIn message.

I've found this same annoying habit with a number of others over the last few years. Anyone have any insight on this? I get it when they're first blasting out an opportunity or whatever, but outside of that, do they really expect everyone to just constantly be on LinkedIn? I decided years ago that it had gone downhill and wasn't worth monitoring actively or checking very frequently, and a lot of people I know feel the same. Am I off-market?

My former boss pushed me to get on LinkedIn. After 2 years I reluctantly did so (I was in charge of business development, so it kind of felt like an obligation). He came into my office the next day and said 'hey, I saw you're finally on LinkedIn, that's great!' My answer: " Thanks, I feel like a whore now..." ugh, I really hate that environment.

My problem is I tend to find the most out there, remote destinations, usually with awesome scuba diving. Those tend to require a lot of money and a lot of time, two things I possess in very limited qualities. I did manage to book a few, including WNI which might not be in too many flight log books.

Edit: Interesting footnote concerning WNI. I flew there in 2011 (charter Fokker out of DPS). According to wiki, they have an expansion plan: A new terminal was inaugurated on 8 May 2016 by former Minister of Transportation Ignasius Jonan. The new terminal has an area of 1,524 m2 (16,400 sq ft) and can accommodate up to 150 people daily. New facilities include a more spacious boarding lounge, more modern check-in counter, arranged concession area and more hygienic toilets.

I can vouch for the needs of the more hygenic toilets. They were the second worst ones I had encountered after PNI....

Last edited by PLeblond; Mar 14, 2024 at 10:17 am
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
My idiot PM got wind some cog has an available upgrade to v1.7.

They scheduled an hour long meeting tomorrow for me to justify on security rationale why custy should upgrade.

Custy has not once ever expressed security concerns. Release notes for 1.7 describe no security concerns being resolved or preemptively addressed.

Granting it is a migration tool to something better....

I'm getting drunk enough tonight not to send out a 9am meeting with the subject of " PMs opportunity to express their more technical knowhow than mine"
​​​​​
canadiancow and PLeblond like this.

Last edited by RangerNS; Mar 14, 2024 at 6:30 pm
Old Mar 14, 2024, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RangerNS
My idiot PM got wind some cog has an available upgrade to v1.7.

They scheduled an hour long meeting tomorrow for me to justify on security rationale why custy should upgrade.

Custy has not once ever expressed security concerns. Release notes for 1.7 describe no security concerns being resolved or preemptively addressed.
​​​​​
There have been cases where the release notes for a new version don't include security fixes, to avoid publishing the exploit before it can be patched.

But other than that, I agree. If you want to upgrade, upgrade. But you shouldn't need to make up a reason.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
There have been cases where the release notes for a new version don't include security fixes, to avoid publishing the exploit before it can be patched.

But other than that, I agree. If you want to upgrade, upgrade. But you shouldn't need to make up a reason.
Yeah, but we are at the level of "this 10mm socket is better". And not in a way that will win or lose races, unless you are using particularly fragile 9.75mm nuts, in which case your mother told you not to buy off market .... 20 years ago.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS

​​​​​[...]
I'm getting drunk enough tonight not to send out a 9am meeting with the subject of " PMs opportunity to express their more technical knowhow than mine"
​​​​​
Beware, drunk posting on FT often leads bad outcomes.

Then again, the best trips I've done were the one's where I was on the fence about booking and convinced myself to purchase the flights after a few beers and several glasses of wine, so...carry on!
RangerNS and Wigg like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Not a hockey guy but know who Brian Burke is.
Attended a UBC fundraiser breakfast yesterday where Burke was the guest speaker.

Fantastic person to listen to, funny, calls it as he sees it, compassionate and humble.

If you have the chance to hear speak when it’s not a presser, well worth it.

Could have sworn breakfast was catered by AC, same parsley omelette
billdokes and CanadianMike like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan (Credit Card owning Peasant), Avios (Peasant), Flying Blue (Exploring Peasant)

To put it simply - it's because sliding into your e-mail makes their work a lot harder, so they tend not to do it.

It's because headhunters/recruiters on LinkedIn use a slightly beefed up version of LinkedIn (look up LinkedIn Business's Talent Solutions), similar to the kind that dedicated Salespeople use (LinkedIn Sales Navigator). As a result, when recruiters/headhunters engage now, it's not just you; they're spamming a metric ton of other people with the same poorly personalized stuff and managing it all through LinkedIn's inbox (because this information also feeds back to their boss about how they're doing on engagement). Taking those conversations 'private' and off LinkedIn, engaging you directly via e-mail (while convenient for you and for good reason) makes it harder for them to track those conversation threads and lose visibility post the initial 'opportunity blast'.

I remember a time about 10 - 15 years ago when being an executive recruiter was an extremely high bar; you were tapped to find C-suite positions, there were a lot of wining and dining involved and even for senior positions in tech, coming in from a recruiter meant you had a good chance of actually landing the job and were seriously vetted before entering the hiring process. Those standards have dropped dramatically since then in the glut of all the bigger tech mass-hiring/mass-firing - now anyone with a laptop and some AI-generated copy can shotgun spam the same JD to eleventy billion people and hope for the best.
Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.

Last edited by SidK; Mar 25, 2024 at 7:42 am Reason: Added quote
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Found this to be a fascinating read.

https://prospect.org/infrastructure/...ission-boeing/
canopus27 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc

Tragedy and heroism 44 years ago!
painintheuk, Deathray and PLeblond like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
Oh that is brilliant! Made my day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.