FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Original thread covering 2014-2019 can be found here
Print Wikipost

Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think part of it is that you're just less likely to really take issue if the combined zone 1+2 is 5 people.

When I want to board early, I don't care if 3 people in Y get on before me. It's when zone 2 is 50 people that I care about properly calling zone 1, making sure those pax can actually get to the podium, and enforcing the zone.

It's worse when zone 2 is 50 people and zone 1 is just me and they call them together, and when questioned say "you're the only one in zone 1 so it didn't make sense to do them together". Yes, it definitely makes sense there. If zone 1 is 50 people and zone 2 is 1 person, then it doesn't really matter.
m.y, ZenFlyer, canopus27 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Flew A3 this week they called zone 1, the lady in front of me handed her boarding pass to be scanned and it beeped, she was told sorry you are zone 3 we are only boarding zone 1 now. If only AC could have this same technology..........
Instead of a beep, there should be a loud announcement, audible for 100 feet in every direction: 'Sorry, you are in zone 3. Please wait your turn.'
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC 75k
YYZ-YOW last week there was a long line at gate for zone 3+, so I just sat down. Then for some reason the whole mass of humanity started moving forward with no announcement. Seeing the action, I got up to join the 1/2 line and watched the 3+ line forcing forward while I took my time pondering with Z1/2. Within a minute or two there was a , "Boarding for Zone one only at this time." announcement. Suddenly everything halted. I politely barged my way through the 1/2 corridor. Not sure if the crowd surge overwhelmed the system or if a junior agent goofed. All said though, there was no Zone 1 announcement prior to initial boarding for sure.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by chromag
Wow, those gates sound great. I've never seen them. What airport?
I thought I last experienced this at the NH gate in NRT. According to one company; https://www.dormakaba.com/us-en/solu...g-gates-293606 the system is at multiple airports.. I believe that Lufthansa uses the Swift Boarding Gate format in Frankfurt and Munich The format is used at Incheon airport on skyteam flights. I am surprised that Air Canada doesn't use on its long haul flights. Yes,its an investment, but it makes boarding so much faster and easier. I suppose the argument is that photo id must be checked, but surely AC could do what EVA does and that is to verify the people in line as they go before they go through the gates. It boggles the mind how many people still dont have their id available or their boarding passes out when they go to board.We are called elitist when we complain about the mess at boarding, and yet we pay for that priority boarding, just as we pay for seat selection (either as a direct payment or as an indirect payment though our FF activity.)
chromag likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:16 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I suppose the argument is that photo id must be checked, but surely AC could do what EVA does and that is to verify the people in line as they go before they go through the gates. It boggles the mind how many people still dont have their id available or their boarding passes out when they go to board.We are called elitist when we complain about the mess at boarding, and yet we pay for that priority boarding, just as we pay for seat selection (either as a direct payment or as an indirect payment though our FF activity.)
Absolutely. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for those gates!
Old Apr 1, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Just wanted to report a great zone experience on 106 this morning.

Lines 2+ were filled up as expected even before the flight arrived. There was no one in zone 1 until it was time for boarding and then we made our way up.

It was a nice changed
YLWflyer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 8:38 pm

Flying YYZ LGA 02 April on E175 sitting window seat in 20s row. I was given zone 2 even though I don't have status nor cobrand black card. Anyone know why?
Old Apr 1, 2023, 11:01 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Yyzperson
Flying YYZ LGA 02 April on E175 sitting window seat in 20s row. I was given zone 2 even though I don't have status nor cobrand black card. Anyone know why?
Clearly, you made an impression with someone, lol
Old Apr 2, 2023, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Our boarding zone on août boarding pass has *.
no number: we shally get zone 2 with our Aeroplan visa infinite or whatever it’s called. We requested a wheelchair at the arrival city as they need to be booked. In Toronto we usually just pick one up when arrive at YYZ I push my wife :
would the wheelchair request replace any boarding zone and that’s why it’s not listed
I'd go talk to the agent at the front. With a wheelchair you do want to board early. Personally I like to be the last on the plane. I'm going to be sitting long enough. I always find a spot for my luggage
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CanadianCandice
I'd go talk to the agent at the front. With a wheelchair you do want to board early. Personally I like to be the last on the plane. I'm going to be sitting long enough. I always find a spot for my luggage

Seems like this follows up on an older article.

But yes, if requiring assistance, you get a * instead of a zone. And they board you first if my memory is correct, before zone 1. (Has been a few years but before my wife got her hip replacement, for a while we requested assistance for her.)
visitor likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Stranger
Seems like this follows up on an older article.

But yes, if requiring assistance, you get a * instead of a zone. And they board you first if my memory is correct, before zone 1. (Has been a few years but before my wife got her hip replacement, for a while we requested assistance for her.)

Yes you have PRE instead of a zone number and you do board first and while the AC agent assists you, your entire entourage goes ahead of you and gets to board also
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
Yes you have PRE instead of a zone number and you do board first and while the AC agent assists you, your entire entourage goes ahead of you and gets to board also

You miss a detail: then after the whole tribe has boarded, a miracle takes place and suddenly the person in a wheelchair walks like a charm.

But then that's another story. Some people think they are smarter than you and me...
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:20 pm

You miss a detail: then after the whole tribe has boarded, a miracle takes place and suddenly the person in a wheelchair walks like a charm.

But then that's another story. Some people think they are smarter than you and me...

LOL oh, Ya I forgot that. The miracle of flight. When waiting for DXB, HKG, LHR there are about 50 wheelchairs, and upon arrival 3 wheelchairs
Old Apr 2, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

That's not always a scam. My parents can both walk ... but they are not good with long distances, nor standing for a long time - so they both now request wheelchairs at the airport. They are both quite comfortable walking down the ramp to board, it's the "in-airport" experience they need help managing.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canopus27
That's not always a scam. My parents can both walk ... but they are not good with long distances, nor standing for a long time - so they both now request wheelchairs at the airport. They are both quite comfortable walking down the ramp to board, it's the "in-airport" experience they need help managing.

But then, it's only the two of them, not a whole tribe...

As I mentioned, at one point my wife also asked for assistance. She too could walk short distances, just painful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.