FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Original thread covering 2014-2019 can be found here
Print Wikipost

Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by vernonc
Yes, it does but still depends on the gate and execution.
My recent flight to DEL had a Zone 1 line. However it was closed off with a stanchion and rope till a customer decided to take matters into their hands and open up the lane.
Most of the time the GAs will announce boarding by zone and announce Zone 1 but whether they turn people back or 'police' the line is another matter

Here's hoping no issues for me on Friday - Zone 2
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:23 am

Programs: Aeropolan Super Elite SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
LOL oh, Ya I forgot that. The miracle of flight. When waiting for DXB, HKG, LHR there are about 50 wheelchairs, and upon arrival 3 wheelchairs
Jetway Jesus - hallelujah!!!
JayTakesOff and warrens like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Saydie11
Surprisingly on June 10, YVR- YYC had separate lines for 1 and 2 They did not let the family with kids board with the wheelchairs but after zone 1.
Families with kids should be boarding after Zone 2 according to AC boarding rules.
Also seen a few flights where an announcement is made where people who voluntarily gate check their bag will board after Zone 2. If you gate check your bag, what is the benefit of boarding earlier ?
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
YUL - June 18

A bit of a s*** show at YUL Gate 25 on June 18.
AC 8003 was boarding when I arrived but no signs indicating boarding groups. So I asked? Turns out they called for Groups 1 & 2 but do not have signs? Is this normal?
For those not familar with Gate 25, its on the opposite side of the runway from the AC Lounge and quite a hike!
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:55 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Boarded young kids before Zone 1 today for IAD-YVR.

Not that it really mattered, since our inbound arrived 22 minutes early only to be blocked at the gate by a delayed IAD-YYZ flight for three hours.

And we are (currently) delayed a further two-ish hours waiting for fuel.

So they got the understandably cranky kids on the plane a few minutes earlier than they 'should'. No biggie in the scheme of things.

Quite the excrement exhibition on the East Coast today.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

Not that it really mattered, since our inbound arrived 22 minutes early only to be blocked at the gate by a delayed IAD-YYZ flight for three hours.

And we are (currently) delayed a further two-ish hours waiting for fuel.

So they got the understandably cranky kids on the plane a few minutes earlier than they 'should'. No biggie in the scheme of things.

Quite the excrement exhibition on the East Coast today.
Is it contract staff or AC staff > I find in bigger operations with AC staff like SFO they follow AC boarding process and smaller outstations with contract staff follow a hotpotch of UA/AC boarding - typically they announce uniformed military, families with small kids, Zone 1 or 'business class', etc.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
My associate was flying home Wednesday, noonish, YYZ-YHZ.

Reported the usual "will be boarding by zone number" talk, and then they segued into "now boarding Zone 5", with much annoyance to her (Z2), and especially those in Z1.

Can anyone comment? Are the GAs taking bets in the break room again?
Old Jun 30, 2023, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
My associate was flying home Wednesday, noonish, YYZ-YHZ.

Reported the usual "will be boarding by zone number" talk, and then they segued into "now boarding Zone 5", with much annoyance to her (Z2), and especially those in Z1.

Can anyone comment? Are the GAs taking bets in the break room again?
Have been seeing more and more of this lately on short hops with the RJ fleet
Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
BrianBus, but who knows if the GAs even were aware of that.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
What are the qualifications to be an AC GA? Do you first have to flunk the test to be an FA? and then the test to be a check-in agent? and then flunk the test to be a Call Centre agent? and then flunk the test to be a MLL gate keeper? and then pass a special test where you prove that you have the ability to be surly, rude and inconsiderate for no reason while having no ability to complete basic tasks and follow simple rules?

I consistently find that GA's, while admittedly. having a difficult job, provide the WORST service of anyone I deal with in the AC chain and seem to do it in a very obvious manner.

Not sure if this is the place, or if we should start another thread, but I think we should all be sharing our boarding experiences and interaction with the GA community.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 12:13 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by billdokes
Not sure if this is the place, or if we should start another thread, but I think we should all be sharing our boarding experiences and interaction with the GA community.
I'm not sure about the rest of your post, but I have certainly been noticing more 'service with a snarl' from 'GAs Gone Bad'.

When there's massive delays and cancellations and myriads of panicky FOTSGs, I totally understand their thin veneer of civility wearing off. But some of the less than ideal interactions I've had have been with GAs just dealing with normally pre-board and boarding activities.
billdokes and Davvidd like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Similarly, a couple weeks back on a MSY-YYZ flight, passengers requiring assistance (including families with young kids) were allowed to board before Zone 1. By the time my family and I were ready to walk up to the gate to board, Zone 1 had started boarding, so we were walking to the back of the line, but the gate agent called us to the front to let us board, rather than having us wait, which was kind of them.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by billdokes
What are the qualifications to be an AC GA?
According to job postings on Air Canada's web site, they are precisely and exactly this:

Qualifications
  • Must have an ability to use tact, good judgement and initiative;
  • Must be capable of expressing self in a clear and pleasant manner;
  • Ability to work under pressure with a minimum of supervision;
  • Must wear Company uniform as prescribed and conform to Company grooming standards;
  • Must be able to stand for extended period of time;
  • Must, after training, be able to efficiently use the Company's automated reservations, ticketing and baggage tracing systems;
  • Must be able to lift seventy (70) lbs unaided;
  • Must maintain an acceptable attendance record;
  • Must be able to work shift work including irregular shifts and overtime when required/directed.
  • Ability to successfully obtain Airport specific badging and seals (Security clearance and USCBP clearance required)
In other words, there's nothing in terms of hospitality degrees or other formal education.

And I wouldn't say that "GAs are failed FAs" because they really are significantly different types of work and require different types of knowledge. I would be very surprised if the typical FA had significant knowledge of Air Canada's booking systems, and conversely, I'd be very surprised if a GA knew what was what in the galley.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by warrens
And I wouldn't say that "GAs are failed FAs" because they really are significantly different types of work and require different types of knowledge. I would be very surprised if the typical FA had significant knowledge of Air Canada's booking systems, and conversely, I'd be very surprised if a GA knew what was what in the galley.
And some people value going home every day more than anything else, while others would probably work for free to get paid layovers in random cities.

Completely different jobs, different requirements, different benefits, etc.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:31 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

GA's main job is get the plane out on time as much as possible.

Of course, anyone working for a company represents that company and should be polite and courteous but by no means would I consider that job as a hospitality position.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.