FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Original thread covering 2014-2019 can be found here
Print Wikipost

Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: AC SE100k
A few months ago I was offered Aeroplan points if I checked my roller carry-on, but this was at the check-in desk (at YYZ). Didn't explore to find out how many points were on offer.
Old May 15, 2023, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Kinda odd to pay passengers to check bags while also charging them for the same thing.
vancouver25k likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Kinda odd to pay passengers to check bags while also charging them for the same thing.
Yes, odd.
Charge for checked bags resulting in overstuffed carry-ons and too many carry-ons.
Size check the carry-ons only at some Canada airports.
Offer free carry-on bag check at gate with 'benefits at multiple locations.
AC needs to think this thru. What they should do if they think they have a full flight and limited space is to offer people checking suitcases the option for free checkin of carryons too. If people are checking a suitcase and have to wait for it, might as well checkin carry-ons since the reason they have multiple carry-ons is to reduce the cost of checked bags. Removes the drama at the gate, reduces the need for multiple annoncements and speeds up the boarding process and on-board carry-on jenga. Families with checked bags are more likely to take this option instead of lugging multiple carry-ons onto the plane.
Old May 15, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Families boarding before zone 1

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Has anyone noticed if some stations are boarding families before Zone 1? I haven't seen it for a while, but my sample size may be limited.

Yes I saw this in a flight YWG-YYC last month. There were 4 families with kids, a couple with strollers, who were all boarded before Zone 1 was called
Old May 15, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Flew WS for the first time in a long time. Such a refreshing experience.

No gate lice clogging up the gates 30 minutes prior to boarding. Everyone was seated until the Zones were called. Not a single person in line before the Zones were called.

I have NEVER seen an empty line at the gate prior to boarding flying with AC. There's always a dozen or so people lined up in Z1 or Z2 way prior to actual boarding.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
What a mess

The international gates at YYZ are a hot mess. Crowds everywhere. Boarding for AC42 began with a yell for wheelchairs followed in quick succession by Zone 1 and 2. Zone 1 lane still blocked with the rope. Now have a bunch of people single file with no chance of getting to the front . And upg list has not been cleared. And now due to a maintenance issue all boarding is stopped. After 2 rolling delays. 5 agents at the desk. Now an announcement that they will deboard passengers already on board.
Old May 26, 2023, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K/*G, Nexus
AC90 YYZ-EZE tonight. Agent plays preboard announcement as wheelchair pax are being boarded. Guy walks up and asks her a question, she points to front of zone 1 line. Guy goes back out into the crowd and comes back with wife, baby, and two small kids. Agent promptly starts scanning their boarding passes.

This prompts a rush of other families with kids who push their way to the front of the zone 1 line. Second agent plays “now boarding zone 1” announcement. Zone 1 line starts moving forward, finds their path blocked by crowd of families. Second agent tells them to “go around” so some do. Indignant parents get upset that zone 1’s are “cutting” the line. One agent continues boarding families as other boards zone 1’s.

Walking down the jetway, zone 1’s are mixed in between families and forced to dawdle with them. Everyone is then backed up at the aircraft door waiting for strollers etc to be folded, stored, gate checked etc. In the time we (zone 1’s) stood waiting, we could have completed boarding the J cabin.

What is Air Canada thinking? How is this an efficient boarding process?
Old May 26, 2023, 9:53 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kenlor
What is Air Canada thinking? How is this an efficient boarding process?
To be clear, zoned boarding isn't about maximizing efficiency, it's more about rewarding valuable customers. But AC's thinking its agents should follow procedure and board families after Zone 2 and before Zone 3. Those agents did it wrong.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by eigenvector
The only thing worse than flying from Vancouver Island is... all the other options for leaving the island. Same goes for the Sunshine Coast, where I live now.
Having just been in that area it's fascinating, but what a pain to leave/get into. God for you managing to live there are travel a lot. That ferry, or limited harbour flights seem like a lot of hassle.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
To be clear, zoned boarding isn't about maximizing efficiency, it's more about rewarding valuable customers. But AC's thinking its agents should follow procedure and board families after Zone 2 and before Zone 3. Those agents did it wrong.
​​​​​​
I find it varies with which agent is at the gate. Literally a coin toss on how they board each flight.. There should really be a set standard.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
The international gates at YYZ are a hot mess. Crowds everywhere. Boarding for AC42 began with a yell for wheelchairs followed in quick succession by Zone 1 and 2. Zone 1 lane still blocked with the rope. Now have a bunch of people single file with no chance of getting to the front . And upg list has not been cleared. And now due to a maintenance issue all boarding is stopped. After 2 rolling delays. 5 agents at the desk. Now an announcement that they will deboard passengers already on board.
This x 1,000,000.

I just boarded a YYZ-FRA. I decided not to board right away with the Zone 1 because why rush, but then when they announced zone 3 and 4 people just flooded the zone 1, zone 2 and zone 3/4/5 lines. There was 0 management of the line up process. I commented to an "in-charge" looking agent after I eventually got my boarding pass scanned and she told me that after announcing zone 1/2 it was supposed to be a free for all. Well, she said anyone can line up anywhere after. It seems strange because in the Dom side of things I've found they are decent at shooing people out of the line throughout the boarding process. Total waste to have the lanes but then let anyone use them once they announce the other boarding groups. The point of them is to make it easy to board anytime, otherwise they may as well not exist.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC E75K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Tit, HH Silver, BW Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
This x 1,000,000.

I just boarded a YYZ-FRA.
If you think this is bad, wait til you do FRA-YYZ. If there is any way to priority board there, I have yet to figure it out.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by YVR4Ever
If you think this is bad, wait til you do FRA-YYZ. If there is any way to priority board there, I have yet to figure it out.
I would have thought the Germans would have rules and systems down pat. I'm returning EDI-YYZ in the first few days of operation so I'm sure it'll run perfectly smooth
Old May 28, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: TK *G
Is it just me, or has boarding become much worse after Covid? Families used to be consistently behind Zone 2, and Zone 1/2 lane used to remain clear after Zone 3 started.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 28, 2023, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'm not sure COVID caused that. It's never been very consistent.
vancouver25k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.