FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Original thread covering 2014-2019 can be found here
Print Wikipost

Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2023, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Another flight, another instance of me standing in the 1/2 line while they board the entire 3/4/5 line.
vernonc, canopus27 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Flew out of YYC today, B37, switched from 333 to 789 (thank god!). I had forgotten how hot and odd these gates were. Combined Zone 1/2 sign, ugh. But lead gate agent was awesome. Very politely and with confident experience she had a zone 1, zone 2 line etc all set up. She asked people to move and they did. Over 30 on UG waitlist, she had them waiting out of the way. Everyone was happy as they knew process was being followed. Those of us in Zone 1 line were all commenting.

The flight to YYZ was also great, one of the best SD ever , in all my years flying AC.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Flew out of CUN a couple of days ago where there was a combined Zone 1/2. I wasn't too optimistic about orderly boarding, but to my surprise they ended up politely pulling out all non Zone 1.

I was even happier when they pulled out a couple that had been needlessly blocking empty seats in the crowded waiting area such that my family couldn't sit. I overheard them grumbling about a young man who "must be a zone 3!" Turns out he was in row 1.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Another flight, another instance of me standing in the 1/2 line while they board the entire 3/4/5 line.
When even the saints of FT experience the travails and annoyances that the non status peons of the flight (like me) regularly experience, then I know it isn't just me, but an endemic problem. Your pain gives me hope, that I shall not be forsaken, nor forgotten.

Originally Posted by songsc
All they really need to do is to have another person checking when people are forming the line up making sure everyone is in the correct line. Though from my observation, the 2-3 GAs are usually occupied with other duties before boarding, if not busy closing another flight. When a concierge is happen to be around the gate area, the concierge is very unlikely to help with boarding in any way.

Something I need to pay attention to, is how many staff are around gate area during boarding for different airlines.
I often wish for more attention at the gates and then I recall my experience with NH in NRT a couple of flights ago. They were draconian in their respect for the hierarchy of boarding. This was was when I was still E75 and in J. I was told no boarding for me until NH elites had boarded prior and I felt like a real noob for mistakenly thinking I was to board. EVA has 4 or 5 supervise boarding whether it is in TPE or YYZ and they make sure the hierarchy is respected. Perhaps the way to go is the AF/KLM automated gates that are politically correct in their discrimination.

I am still amazed by some people in Canada in zone 5/6 that try and board when boarding is called and then act like they are surprised.
kronos80 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: AC SE MM, IHG Diamond, National Exec Elite
Why is it that an out station lake YQU consistently calls the zone boarding correctly, but larger locations cannot? On my most recent trip, Zone 1 was called and I went up. As soon as my boarding pass was scanned, she called zone 2 I was the only Zone 1, but they still followed the process! I also have to complement YEG on a recent flight where they told everyone in 3-5 to sit down as there were over 50 people on Zone 1 & 2 for a 320 and they had separate lines for 1 & 2.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Ubud
Flew out of CUN a couple of days ago where there was a combined Zone 1/2. I wasn't too optimistic about orderly boarding, but to my surprise they ended up politely pulling out all non Zone 1.

I was even happier when they pulled out a couple that had been needlessly blocking empty seats in the crowded waiting area such that my family couldn't sit. I overheard them grumbling about a young man who "must be a zone 3!" Turns out he was in row 1.
I flew out of CUN on the 28th, it was the opposite of what you described.
It appeared they had their own process. Wheelchairs, family’s with kids, zone 1 & 2. It quickly just became everyone get in line. They could have easily just said “all aboard”
Old Mar 29, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by YLWflyer
It appeared they had their own process. Wheelchairs, family’s with kids, zone 1 & 2. It quickly just became everyone get in line. They could have easily just said “all aboard”
Come to think of it, they should play Ozzy's Crazy Train intro at that point rather the doing their boilerplate "Air Canada is now welcoming passengers in ..." pre-recorded message. It would at least be a fitting soundtrack to the chaos that ensues.
YLWflyer and TheCanuckian like this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:17 am

Had the same exact experience as this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 1:24 pm

Flew out of VRA on Sunday and it was more like this. They called "First class and families with small children" first. Everyone headed straight for the gate! We were in Premium Rouge, so I thought that was close enough to 1st class. While standing near the front of the line a woman stepped around me to stand right in front of me, looked back and said "I'm in 1st class". I said "so am I!" and she mumbled an apology. Another woman got her 2 kids to push ahead of me. Then, when I didn't let her past she said "let the nice man go 1st kids". Maybe I was being a bit of a <insert expletive here>, but it was pretty rude of them regardless of seating or zone. The GAs weren't really paying any attention.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:05 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Flew A3 this week they called zone 1, the lady in front of me handed her boarding pass to be scanned and it beeped, she was told sorry you are zone 3 we are only boarding zone 1 now. If only AC could have this same technology..........
YLWflyer and flyingcrooked like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
That's exactly what I had been expecting based on prior experience there, but you know that would imply consistency which is also not a feature at CUN, or with AC for that matter.

Even more surprising (to me) was a SDC that they processed at the service desk without any problem.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:57 am

Haven’t flown anything but domestic lately, where I’m happy to see separate Zone 1 and 2 lines for the most part. Flying int’l soon and hoping it’s the same both ways 🤞
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Perhaps the way to go is the AF/KLM automated gates that are politically correct in their discrimination.

I am still amazed by some people in Canada in zone 5/6 that try and board when boarding is called and then act like they are surprised.
Wow, those gates sound great. I've never seen them. What airport?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Melmy
Haven’t flown anything but domestic lately, where I’m happy to see separate Zone 1 and 2 lines for the most part. Flying int’l soon and hoping it’s the same both ways 🤞
From my experience, generally at international airports outside of US/Canada, boarding tends to be more hit or miss when it comes to calling proper zones. I have had several instances where they pretty much just called everyone up at once. Not just with Air Canada, with other airlines as well.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by SearsTower
Why is it that an out station lake YQU consistently calls the zone boarding correctly, but larger locations cannot?
No J, so rare they get anyone with status and/or status pax they know by name from the curling rink , so it's is shockingly obvious when it needs to be done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.