FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Original thread covering 2014-2019 can be found here
Print Wikipost

Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:12 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by wjw
Things seem to just work differently in the Caribbean (and in Canada on flights to the Caribbean).

[...]

Seems like airlines and airports are much more lax on protocol on routes with mostly leisure travellers, unfortunately.
Proper zoned boarding procedures were observed at YYZ on the way down, as they have been on past flights that I've taken to the Caribbean, so I don't agree with this assertion.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Apparently NAS has a fun spin on boarding procedures. "Pre-boarding" is "passengers needing extra time, passengers with children under 4, Zone 1, and wheelchair passengers".
I realize the airport staff handle all of the flights here (i.e. not even AC contact personnel), but I don't think that's any airline's priority. Do they just make it up as they go along?
You're surprised? Have you actually flown on Air Canada before?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canopus27
You're surprised? Have you actually flown on Air Canada before?
Only about 800 times, so I'm still getting the hang of it

It's not the inconsistency that surprised me, it's the bizarre mishmash of groups they lumped together there, especially not doing wheelchairs beforehand like they should. That seems to be the one thing they do consistently, regardless of whatever hash they make of the rest of it.
canopus27, YYC3722 and YLWflyer like this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:37 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Proper zoned boarding procedures were observed at YYZ on the way down, as they have been on past flights that I've taken to the Caribbean, so I don't agree with this assertion.
Good that things were as they should be on the way down at least! I was also a bit surprised when my flight from YYZ boarded how it did. I asked the GA on the way by if they werent following zoned boarding for some reason in this flight and she just shrugged it off, so wasnt sure if they just didnt care. Maybe more about that agent than the flight destination though.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
My experience there is that if I show up as zone 1 in the middle of boarding, I also can't get through.
Or when you show up and the line has already formed, after asking if there is a zone 1 line and being told yes its with zone 2 as well you get this on your way down

so frustrating
Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by YLWflyer
Or when you show up and the line has already formed, after asking if there is a zone 1 line and being told yes its with zone 2 as well you get this on your way down
Yup, zone 2 is like half the plane these days.

For the opposite experience, I flew AC back from FLL in mid-January and the gate area was total chaos, zone 1 and 2 all jumbled together and people just everywhere. The GA called out 4 names including mine and when I got up to the gate pushing through the crowds he says "ah yes, my SEs". Then he scans our BPs, and then lets us stand past the gate away from the insanity and then lets us board before they even call zone 1. Couldn't have been happier.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
127 today at YYZ is another zoo. Three other zone 1 customers were stranded in the zone 1 lane watching the gate agents clearing zone 2-6. We were late to the gate due to late connecting flight, but this did not seem to be right. Later we were told the agent clearing zone 1 lane had trouble helping a passenger with special need, but there were two other agents there clearing other zones
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Later we were told the agent clearing zone 1 lane had trouble helping a passenger with special need, but there were two other agents there clearing other zones
If there's no agent dedicated to the Zone 1 line, or they're tied up with someone, I have no qualms about making my way from the head of the Z1 line to another agent. I'll usually give it a bit of time to try not to be a jerk about it, but if buddy in front of me doesn't remember where he put his passport or is trying to get his seat changed or something, and the GA doesn't have the good sense to move him out of the flow, I'm not going to let half the plane get on while I stand there. Like David Dingwall, I'm entitled to my entitlements!
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:09 am

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Mex-yyz red eye just now. Flying J waiting around and they make the boarding announcement. Agent checking passports and then tells everyone who is using a phone they need a paper boarding pass. There was no overhead announcement for at least 45min before as lounges were closed and we were just hanging around.

Ended up having to wait for one agent to work her way through everyone and by the time got to us zone 4 was boarding. Almost no bin space in J. Quite irritating. I was not super enthused and did let the gate agent know there should have been an announcement saying everyone needs a paper boarding pass.

Not sure this is the correct thread but wonder what others would have done?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Mex-yyz red eye just now. Flying J waiting around and they make the boarding announcement. Agent checking passports and then tells everyone who is using a phone they need a paper boarding pass. There was no overhead announcement for at least 45min before as lounges were closed and we were just hanging around.

Ended up having to wait for one agent to work her way through everyone and by the time got to us zone 4 was boarding. Almost no bin space in J. Quite irritating. I was not super enthused and did let the gate agent know there should have been an announcement saying everyone needs a paper boarding pass.

I would have gone to the desk to do a doc check in the 45 minutes I was "just hanging around".
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

This stupidity has been going on for a long time - it's prevalent at LAX, like they never saw a mobile boarding pass before . If they don't want to see mobile boarding passes, why offer them??
canadianhockey91 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:25 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
I would have gone to the desk to do a doc check in the 45 minutes I was "just hanging around".
I guess moving on I will do that. But do you seriously do a doc check on every single flight you go on? Lol a tad annoying and anal retentive but a good way to ensure it doesn't happen again.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
I guess moving on I will do that. But do you seriously do a doc check on every single flight you go on? Lol a tad annoying and anal retentive but a good way to ensure it doesn't happen again.
If doing OLCI only for an international/transborder flight, then yes.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This stupidity has been going on for a long time - it's prevalent at LAX, like they never saw a mobile boarding pass before . If they don't want to see mobile boarding passes, why offer them??
If you have a paper boarding pass, then you have definitely done a doc check.

It's definitely possible to do one without actually getting paper printed, but it's a lot easier for them to quickly know one way or the other if you have paper. I don't like it, but I understand it.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
If you have a paper boarding pass, then you have definitely done a doc check.
even if you printed it at home?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.