FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
AC link:
UPDATED HERE January 2, 2022

Boarding Process

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...g-by-zone.html

Pre-boarding: Customers who have requested wheelchair assistance
Zone 1: J and SE customers
Zone 2: 75K, 50K, 35K, 25K, Star Alliance Gold, Premium Economy, Latitude and Primary or Secondary Cardholder on Aeroplan black credit cards
Zone 2.5:
- Passengers travelling with children under the age of 6 or who require additional time to board the aircraft
- Passengers travelling with a musical instrument as part of their carry-on baggage
Zone 3: Comfort fares, passengers who purchased preferred seats in advance
Zones 3, 4 and 5: General boarding (back to front). AC Express flights will not have Zone 5.
Zone 6: Economy Basic

Companions travelling on the same PNR as an Aeroplan Elite/*Gold member will receive the same priority boarding zone.

Original thread covering 2014-2019 can be found here
Print Wikipost

Zoned Boarding (2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2022, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theranj
LOL... well, from another post, I got eUpd at the gate to Business, but my wife didn't, so I waited until she was able to board, and gave her my seat. I didn't want to wait any longer.

To answer your next question, they specifically called out "Business Class only", and then rows 12 thru 2x... economy starts at row 12 on this Airbus. I've never seen them do that before
You sure they did not call First Class first? I seem to recall that's what they did at BOS the other day. Maybe it was "First class and zone 1 though." :-)
Old Oct 19, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by theranj
Finally boarded our flight to LAS from YVR.

First they announced Business Class only
Then they started waking around gathering those in walkers/strollers
Then they called rows 12-28

Not sure what happened after that.
I have actually seen them call "business class only" before - but in that case they were actually very explicit about it, and even the reason. I forget if it was a maintenance issue or residual grooming, but there was some activity concluding in economy that meant that they did not want any passengers going back there -- so the announcement was very clear that "only those seated in the business class cabin for now. Those passengers in zone one who are seated in economy, please wait".

Sadly that included me but once the economy cabin was available, they did resume boarding by zone number - so I had no complaints.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by canopus27
I have actually seen them call "business class only" before - but in that case they were actually very explicit about it, and even the reason. I forget if it was a maintenance issue or residual grooming, but there was some activity concluding in economy that meant that they did not want any passengers going back there -- so the announcement was very clear that "only those seated in the business class cabin for now. Those passengers in zone one who are seated in economy, please wait".

Sadly that included me but once the economy cabin was available, they did resume boarding by zone number - so I had no complaints.
There WAS a maintenance issue in economy with one seat - direct correlation i suppose.

By the time we were cleared to enter the maintenance crew was walking off
Old Oct 19, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
I've seen the opposite, "everyone but business" until whatever issue was resolved a couple of minutes later.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
AC 10 NRT -YYZ , Boarding process was a complete gong show. The Narita organization skills of old, including Concierge, is no longer. Hope they get it back to “normal” eventually.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Nov 6, 2022 at 10:57 am Reason: Move content to appropriate thread
Old Nov 6, 2022, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Plumber
AC 10 NRT -YYZ , Boarding process was a complete gong show. The Narita organization skills of old, including Concierge, is no longer. Hope they get it back to “normal” eventually.
This sounds odd - I thought AC contracts with ANA for ground handling at NRT, and the ANA folks are absolutely rigid in enforcing boarding priority, and getting the right people in the right lines, and booting the wrong people out of the wrong lines.

Having said that, I did encounter the rudest NRT agent I've ever encountered working an AC flight, wearing an AC uniform (I assume a station manager or supervisor).
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This sounds odd - I thought AC contracts with ANA for ground handling at NRT, and the ANA folks are absolutely rigid in enforcing boarding priority, and getting the right people in the right lines, and booting the wrong people out of the wrong lines..
I found it odd also- I have flown AC out of NRT more than 60 times and have not seen it so bad. Maybe staffing issues due to COVID is hitting ANA also. On a separate note many shops and restaurants at the AC end of NRT, including the ANA lounge, are still closed. I don’t recall seeing anybody in an AC uniform.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Boarding YYZ-SFO yesterday, a family with a very young child (less than 2 yrs) tried to board before Zone 1 because they thought that every airline boarded young kids first. A GA was boarding them, GA seemed new. Another GA came over, explained the rules to the customers and GA and asked them to step aside till Zones 1 and 2 were done.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vernonc
Boarding YYZ-SFO yesterday, a family with a very young child (less than 2 yrs) tried to board before Zone 1 because they thought that every airline boarded young kids first. A GA was boarding them, GA seemed new. Another GA came over, explained the rules to the customers and GA and asked them to step aside till Zones 1 and 2 were done.
Glad to see some enforcement.
RangerNS likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
AC 97 GRU > YUL Dec 16 - Young children and those needing assistance were boarded before zone 1. I counted over 13 families with babies (mostly with a large entourage of hangers on - does it really take 7 adults to get a baby seated?) and lots of passengers who looked to be in their early 50's and only needed assistance or extra time because they were packing several more carry on items than they had hands for.

I'd estimate between the families and those needing extra time around 100 passengers boarded before zone 1.

The end result was the onboard staff rushing very hard to complete Pre-Departure drinks before push back. The Champagne doesn't taste quite as good sloshed into a plastic glass 1 minute before push back. I wouldn't call that "Signature Service"
Old Dec 18, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by c224488
Glad to see some enforcement.
I do see AC's zone 2.5 boarding for young kids a bit odd, especially in view of maybe half of the pax now have zone 2. I believe zone 1.5 boarding for young kids may be a better compromise.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 4:53 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Was on the YYZ to PUJ on Friday.

Great to be in warm weather so maybe any issues with boarding melt away. That said, I went down from the MLL at boarding time to find all boarding lines simultaneously being boarded. I asked the GA if they weren’t doing zoned boarding that day for some reason. She mumbled back something about calling zone 3… not quite sure what she meant by that, but hey it’s vacation and I guess island time just started before departure.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Our flight today from YYZ to CUN, just before they started boarding us in Zone 1 (gate 74):- They announced a new zone for those with kids under 6 - they said to go line up in gate 75 next to us...thankfully boarded after zone 1- They did board two families with wheelchairs first, made total sense​​​​​​​- Someone (a credit card holder?) complained they wanted to join us in zone 1 since they had "priority boarding"), someone from Zone 2 yellld at them "so did everyone else" lol

Last edited by theranj; Dec 18, 2022 at 5:58 pm
Old Dec 18, 2022, 5:41 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Zoned boarding unless Caribbean.

That said, the random boarding did seem pretty efficient. Reminded me of LH boarding at a Central Asian airport.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by wjw
Zoned boarding unless Caribbean.

That said, the random boarding did seem pretty efficient. Reminded me of LH boarding at a Central Asian airport.
Zoned boarding is never about efficiency, but price discrimination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.