Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I offered him a bottle and he declined haha.
I left a couple gunpowder minis at his bar, but I should see if he tried it.
Yes, would love to know what he thinks. Tbh he might have already heard of it as I believe they have won awards at the World Rum Awards.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Another day, another rum.
Only one?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Only one?
Okay I had 7 there.
Bohemian1 and YYC3722 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Okay I had 7 there.
That sounds more like it. Need to pick up the pace, you're undoubtedly a long way from the next tier!
expert7700 and canadiancow like this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:28 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Which comes first - 2MM or 2,000 ounces?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Which comes first - 2MM or 2,000 ounces?
Almost certainly 2MM.

Last I checked, there were no 2k plaques on the wall.
Nitehawk likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Almost certainly 2MM.

2k ounces can be done in 286 days at 7 oz per day. Seems easily achievable.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:05 pm

Almost certainly 2MM.

Someone has to be the first!
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:29 pm

I'm not sure they have enough rum in stock.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 8:41 pm

I'm not sure they have enough rum in stock.
Were you really going to try to drink 1,500 in one night though?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
We had a power cut at home, a week or so ago. The cut was accompanied by a distant bang, the power was out for several hours, and the utility company have since announced that the root cause was a squirrel who apparently connected two lines and tripped some protection equipment. There's no word about the health of the squirrel, but I suspect it was not a good day for it.

So far so good, and relatively routine. What was fascinating was that after the power was restored, it seemed like half of my house was still out of power. After poking around, it turned out that almost half of the circuit breakers at the main panel in my house had tripped. Even when I restored those, there were still failures ... and further investigation showed that most of my surge protectors had failed, too.

That all tells me that it was more than just a power cut ... but I am curious about the details.
  • As the surge protectors seem to have tripped, I assume there was an over-voltage situation ... but I didn't know that circuit breakers tripped due to an over voltage situation.
  • I would have expected the circuit breakers to trip due to an over current state ... but it's not clear to me how external conditions would have triggered an excess current draw on any given line.
  • It does seem odd to me that a squirrel could have caused either an over voltage or over current situation in my house. An over-current state within the squirrel, that I get. Even an over current situation in the local circuits connecting to the squirrel. But how did that current get into my house?
The best guess I have is that perhaps the squirrel connected itself to neutral, and perhaps that resulted in a voltage differential between neutral and ground in my house ... and perhaps that caused the various circuits to trip? But even that seems odd, as generally speaking the neutral is common and not connected to individual breakers ...

It's all very interesting to me.

And that's what I end up thinking about when I'm not flying somewhere
YYC3722 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
We had a power cut at home, a week or so ago. The cut was accompanied by a distant bang, the power was out for several hours, and the utility company have since announced that the root cause was a squirrel who apparently connected two lines and tripped some protection equipment. There's no word about the health of the squirrel, but I suspect it was not a good day for it.

So far so good, and relatively routine. What was fascinating was that after the power was restored, it seemed like half of my house was still out of power. After poking around, it turned out that almost half of the circuit breakers at the main panel in my house had tripped. Even when I restored those, there were still failures ... and further investigation showed that most of my surge protectors had failed, too.
Yikes. Good reminder of the value of surge protectors. Did their sacrifice at least accomplish their mission of protecting the valuable devices connected to them?

Sounds like you need to fly more. Any more cheap fares to EZE? Maybe we should go again and you can actually leave the airport this time
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Yikes. Good reminder of the value of surge protectors. Did their sacrifice at least accomplish their mission of protecting the valuable devices connected to them?
Totally agree. I had some surge protectors in the house which did not trip ... but three protectors did trip -- and when I say "trip", I mean Trip; they are now dead. This also makes me curious how surge protectors work, but it seems like a fuse ... when they are gone, they are gone. The good news is that all of the equipment protected by them is ok ... projector, amplifier, TV, more. All good.

The only substantial failure in the house was that it blew up our induction cooktop. Doh! The repair estimate was more than the cost of a new cooktop ... which I picked up yesterday, and we get installed tomorrow. Doh.

Sounds like you need to fly more. Any more cheap fares to EZE? Maybe we should go again and you can actually leave the airport this time
I'm in

And yes, for sure for sure, next time I fly to EZE again I do plan to leave the airport.

The problem is that I'm now at 265K SQM, so I have my banked year ... and although the SQM will rollover, the SQD won't. If AC would allow even a 10K rollover of SQD, I would for sure for be flying more this year. Are you listening, Mark Nasr?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:42 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I too have seen / heard the squirrel vs transformer thing across the street once, followed by the distinct lack of power. Before the city crews could arrive to remove the victim, the local crows were eyeing it, but once again showed the intelligence that crows possess.

If half of your circuit breakers 'popped' they could all be on the same phase, which is the one that got disrupted. Maybe.

Also, circuit breakers come in a bunch of flavours. Some are pretty straightforward, but others have built-in surge / arc protection (look for an extra, often curly wire) and of course some of are in fact GFCIs. Either of the latter two types can trip when your regular breakers do not.

But, as an Electrical Engineer, my technical advice is to stop feeding the squirrels.
YYC3722 and eigenvector like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canopus27

That all tells me that it was more than just a power cut ... but I am curious about the details.
  • As the surge protectors seem to have tripped, I assume there was an over-voltage situation ... but I didn't know that circuit breakers tripped due to an over voltage situation.
  • I would have expected the circuit breakers to trip due to an over current state ... but it's not clear to me how external conditions would have triggered an excess current draw on any given line.
  • It does seem odd to me that a squirrel could have caused either an over voltage or over current situation in my house. An over-current state within the squirrel, that I get. Even an over current situation in the local circuits connecting to the squirrel. But how did that current get into my house?
The best guess I have is that perhaps the squirrel connected itself to neutral, and perhaps that resulted in a voltage differential between neutral and ground in my house ... and perhaps that caused the various circuits to trip? But even that seems odd, as generally speaking the neutral is common and not connected to individual breakers ...

It's all very interesting to me.

If the utility feeder is not an effectively grounded service (still common in many rural areas), then a phase-to-ground fault would cause the voltage on un-faulted phases to rise temporarily. If your home's service was tapped off of one of the unfaulted phases (a typical 120/240V service is single-phase), you might have seen some temporary overvoltage. Depending on the impedance of the squirrel and the sensitivity of the utility protection system, it could last for several seconds.

As for the breakers in your house tripping, a surge protector usually consists of a semiconducting material connected to ground in parallel with the load. At normal voltage, the semiconductor has a very high impedance and acts as an open circuit. When a certain voltage is reached, the semiconductor becomes a very conductive path to ground, which both limits the overvoltage seen by the load as well as causes temporary overcurrent as the protector is now effectively a ground fault. Many household surge protection devices have their own circuit breaker or fuse in series for this reason. But it's conceivable that if you had many surge protectors in parallel on one branch circuit that the simultaneous operation of all of them is what caused the breaker at your panel to trip. But I admit I am skeptical of this. The type of circuit breaker typically used in household applications (thermal-magnetic) need either a long-duration overload or a very high short circuit current to operate, neither of which is very likely to have occurred here.

Do you have AFCIs by any chance?

I am also an electrical engineer, but generally dealing in high voltage where the source of the problem can usually be found by looking for the thing that is completely blown up/on fire/falling over.
YYC3722 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.