Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 21, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Old Aug 24, 22, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Only if you make said jewelry out of the rubble of something one of your predecessors destroyed by doing their job badly.
Hmm... Not sure I can make anything out of spreadsheets and PowerPoints.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Plat, HH Silver, BW Gold
Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Isn't the answer "use all the training required to justify such a ring to resize it yourself at home"?
As an electrical engineer, I've tried that. I got a nasty shock but the ring is still stuck on my finger.
Old Aug 24, 22, 6:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Only if you make said jewelry out of the rubble of something one of your predecessors destroyed by doing their job badly.
That's a bit of myth, but we engineers still use it to pimp our incredible humility. Especially us vastly superior Electricals.
Old Aug 24, 22, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Bohemian1 View Post
That's a bit of myth, but we engineers still use it to pimp our incredible humility. Especially us vastly superior Electricals.
It is, but the symbolism works particularly well in this case.

​​​​​​.by the way, its always bothered me that Electrical Engineers dont wear non-conductive rings. Arent you people supposed to know better?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 6:55 pm

It is, but the symbolism works particularly well in this case.

​​​​​​….by the way, it’s always bothered me that Electrical Engineers don’t wear non-conductive rings. Aren’t you people supposed to know better?
For the only, exactly one, Power (i.e. > 5 volts) class I was forced to take, our lab prof would stand proximate to all kinds of sinister, high voltage thingys with one hand in his pocket "for safety". That, and his tie dangling right over the spinning bits of the aforementioned thingys.

The ring was the least of his problems.
ffsim likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Aug 24, 22 at 10:49 pm
Old Aug 24, 22, 7:03 pm

It's always fascinated me how thoroughly scrupulous engineers can be in their work, while also being some of the more thoroughly risk-comfortable people I've ever met in their recreational lives.

Nobody drinks like Engineers, at least not where I went to school, and one or two of my friends may still have some... outstanding questions to answer, somewhere, about the suspension of various Volkswagens from various landmarks.
yowcat, Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC*E75 (*A Gold), Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
It's always fascinated me how thoroughly scrupulous engineers can be in their work, while also being some of the more thoroughly risk-comfortable people I've ever met in their recreational lives.

Nobody drinks like Engineers, at least not where I went to school, and one or two of my friends may still have some... outstanding questions to answer, somewhere, about the suspension of various Volkswagens from various landmarks.
Different situations deserve different safety factor.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
For the only, exactly one, Power (i.e. > 5 volts) class I was forced to take, our lab prof would stand proximate to all kinds of sinister, high voltage thingys with one hand in his pocket "for safety". That, and his tie dangling right over the spinning bits of teh aforementioned thingys.

The ring was the least of his problems.
To this day there are still occasions when I work with one hand in my pocket. So far, this approach has helped me successfully avoid being electrocuted

(And ... no. A proper experiment with double blind controls has not been conducted. Or electrocuted)
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Is there any faculty that doesn't think they party harder than everyone else at university?
canopus27 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 22, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Is there any faculty that doesn't think they party harder than everyone else at university?
If there's a ranked list of individuals who've personally held the largest liquor licenses of any university event in Canadian history, my name's got to be somewhere in the single digits.

I can claim legitimate expertise on the logistics of post-secondary consumption, and having belonged to a non-ApSci faculty that had a fierce rivalry with the Engineers, it brings me no joy to verify that they did in fact go harder than everybody else.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 6:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Div School?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 22, 6:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Div School?
Some nights its sacrament at 6, then 6:30, then 7, 7:30.....
YOWgary, Adam Smith and smallmj like this.
Old Aug 26, 22, 1:59 pm

I had to call a bank today about my credit card. I couldn't access online statements due to their fubared backend and I was pretty sure I had a new statement. The response from the very sincere and helpful CSA was priceless.

No, they could not just email a PDF copy for some obscure reason. So, I was given three other, more creative options.

The first was to snail mail me a copy. Brilliant, as I would be gone by the time it got here and would miss the payment due date. So, No.

The second option was to read me my statement line by line over the phone. Like I was rolling cigars or something. Nope.

The third option was that they could send me a fax. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I mean, I'm old, but not that old.

I know exactly one person with a fax machine, and he's on FT. Maybe I should have just had it sent to him.

I guess I will just wait for their mainframe to reboot.
zrh2yvr and YYC3722 like this.
Old Aug 26, 22, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC*S100K ACMM / HH Diamond
I had to call a bank today about my credit card. I couldn't access online statements due to their fubared backend and I was pretty sure I had a new statement. The response from the very sincere and helpful CSA was priceless.

No, they could not just email a PDF copy for some obscure reason. So, I was given three other, more creative options.

The first was to snail mail me a copy. Brilliant, as I would be gone by the time it got here and would miss the payment due date. So, No.

The second option was to read me my statement line by line over the phone. Like I was rolling cigars or something. Nope.

The third option was that they could send me a fax. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I mean, I'm old, but not that old.

I know exactly one person with a fax machine, and he's on FT. Maybe I should have just had it sent to him.

I guess I will just wait for their mainframe to reboot.
BTW, I've been meaning to tell you that I borrowed your credit card while we were in Munich last weekend. Hope that's ok.
eigenvector and smallmj like this.
Old Aug 26, 22, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27 View Post
BTW, I've been meaning to tell you that I borrowed your credit card while we were in Munich last weekend. Hope that's ok.
You jest, but I've had something very similar happen in HKG once.

Me and a colleague at dinner and we split the cheque. With two identical looking black cards. And we each put the others card in their wallets and flew off that afternoon.

I didn't notice until a day or two later. Since I was based in YVR and he was based in YYZ, FedEx saved the day.
canopus27 likes this.

Search this Thread