Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, 2020 edition and 2021 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2022)

Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Me and a colleague at dinner and we split the cheque. With two identical looking black cards. And we each put the others card in their wallets and flew off that afternoon.

I didn't notice until a day or two later. Since I was based in YVR and he was based in YYZ, FedEx saved the day.
Happened to my former boss many years ago, except the restaurant mixed up his card with a completely random person. Plain green corporate card. He only noticed a few days later when we took some clients out for lunch and the card was declined.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
. With two identical looking black cards. And we each put the others card in their wallets
​​​​​So you're saying that Amex Black (Centurion) cards are just too common at restaurants that you frequent.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Camp 1 is the easiest. After having a cheque returned to me as undeliverable to whatever the Waterloo camp was, a colleague told me his girlfriend has lost hers a bunch. Camp 1 lets you pay and order online. Delivery to SF was quick.

I don't think this is just an Ontario thing? I think they recognize all schools?
It's national, but IIRC only Camp 1's iron rings are actually iron. The rest only offer stainless.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Pretty sure my new one is still stainless.
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Speaking of superfluous pieces of metal, my Amex Platinum card got compromised recently. The replacement card came pleasantly quickly, and even had an envelope in it to return the old card.

But why do the credit card companies keep making these damned things? The few days I didn't have that stupid thing in my wallet were wonderful.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But why do the credit card companies keep making these damned things?
Because it "feels more premium"?

Shrug.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Because it "feels more premium"?

Shrug.
I think it feels what poor people think a rich person's credit card should feel like.
ffsim, canadiancow and YOWgary like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Speaking of superfluous pieces of metal, my Amex Platinum card got compromised recently. The replacement card came pleasantly quickly, and even had an envelope in it to return the old card.

But why do the credit card companies keep making these damned things? The few days I didn't have that stupid thing in my wallet were wonderful.
Doesn't Amex let you request a plastic card in addition to the metal?

And I agree, the metal cards are pointless.

It is, but the symbolism works particularly well in this case.

​​​​​​….by the way, it’s always bothered me that Electrical Engineers don’t wear non-conductive rings. Aren’t you people supposed to know better?
Blanket no-jewelry policies are pretty common in hazardous workplaces.

The problem is not just conductivity, but exacerbating injury during an arc flash or arc blast by melting onto your skin or becoming a projectile.

For arc flash, even things under your PPE can be quite hazardous if they melt at a low temperature like many popular synthetic textiles.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Aug 27, 2022 at 2:41 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Aug 27, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Well I’ll be…….. Camp 2 wrote to me today saying they’ll mail my replacement ring on Monday. Impressive!

As for iron vs stainless, I thought they all went to stainless ages ago, no?
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Doesn't Amex let you request a plastic card in addition to the metal?

And I agree, the metal cards are pointless.
Amex told me they couldn't do it.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:34 pm

I think it feels what poor people think a rich person's credit card should feel like.
Hence the quotes.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Amex told me they couldn't do it.
Amex Canada or US?

I hadn't even thought of asking about it though. I wonder whether any other FIs might offer that option.

Hence the quotes.
And yet the income requirements suggest that the people they're aiming these cards at are not exactly poor. Not the super-wealthy, but not the kind of people I would expect to be impressed by something like a metal credit card.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:52 pm

Amex US. I guess I should try Amex and TD Canada, as well as Chase.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 7:29 pm

And yet the income requirements suggest that the people they're aiming these cards at are not exactly poor. Not the super-wealthy, but not the kind of people I would expect to be impressed by something like a metal credit card.
I really didn't care what mine was made of, until it started falling apart.

Never had that problem with a plastic card.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver

My class action cheque just arrived and while it was half your amount, it was a nice little end of the week mailbox surprise I'd totally forgotten about. Now how to spend it...
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.