Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Website (aircanada.com) Experiences/Complaints/Issues (Nov 2020 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Website (aircanada.com) Experiences/Complaints/Issues (Nov 2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 1:42 pm

Aeroplan redemption issues

Yesterday I was trying to browse point redemption flights on aeroplan.com and noticed there were so many award flights that did not have a point redemption amount attached to them, nor were they bookable despite being advertised as "lowest price"
If the flights aren't available to book, why does AC have them on the search page to begin with? I was chatting with someone else and they managed to see the point amount in incognito mode but not after they logged in.
Old May 29, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
Originally Posted by chickentaquito
Yesterday I was trying to browse point redemption flights on aeroplan.com and noticed there were so many award flights that did not have a point redemption amount attached to them, nor were they bookable despite being advertised as "lowest price"
If the flights aren't available to book, why does AC have them on the search page to begin with? I was chatting with someone else and they managed to see the point amount in incognito mode but not after they logged in.
I had similar issues a week ago where the flight I was shown that worked gave an error when I tried to finish booking. I called Aeroplan to book it and the agent got an error also. Help desk told agent that flight was loaded but once seats taken showed not released and waitlisted. Later they disappeared.
Update... Just tried again with another flight on Thai, previous attempt was with flight on Ethiopian Airlines,
flight showed on the AE Agents site (not on AC site) but was unbookable when he tried to book a seat.
Update 2 nearly midnight Monday, I thought I would give the app one more try. Success, I'm booked. Flight pass system now seems to be operating.

Last edited by folkart; May 29, 2023 at 11:29 pm Reason: Update
Old May 29, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE, Bonvoy Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Still think it's kind of bananas that FP booking hasn't been integrated into the main site after all this time. I feel like I should be using Windows XP with that old clunker.
folkart and YYJ _SLF like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:38 am

Amused by this:
Old May 30, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Every single time I use Air Canada's website and attempt to do anything, it prompts me to log in with my credentials: enter email address and password. Fine - I'm OK with that (pretty standard, and easy enough: it has set a cookie in my browser, so I can readily pull up the password). So far, so good. But then it requires me to enter a 6-digit verification code, which it sends me via email.

Is there any way to get it to stop requiring this so frequently?

I'm accessing the website from my home on a desktop computer, which is quite secure - not from a stolen phone in a sketchy neighborhood in Moscow or Pyongyang. While I do appreciate the need to ensure an appropriate level of security for customers (even clueless customers) and for the company's protection, too, being asked for authentication beyond my login credentials every single time I log in seems excessive. My accounts at banks and other financial institutions are a lot less intrusive. Go ahead and validate me after a long absence or a browser switch or a OS update or when (gasp) logging in via a phone, but puh-lease can we just dispense with requiring the 2FA codes every fricking time I'm there?

Is it just me that Air Canada has singled out? Is there some way to get it to relax just a little, and let me log in with, you know, my login credentials, if I've stepped away from the screen for a few minutes? Seems crazy to me to be that insistent on constant 2FA codes...no?

/rant
I actually enquired about this. AC has apparently had significant security breaches and fraud (maybe not surprising based on their IT) and as a result require the 2FA for every log in if you have 2FA active. It is very similar to sites like CRA that ask for it every time.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
I actually enquired about this. AC has apparently had significant security breaches and fraud (maybe not surprising based on their IT) and as a result require the 2FA for every log in if you have 2FA active. It is very similar to sites like CRA that ask for it every time.
Which is amusing, because the result is that everyone turns it off. NIST stopped recommending quarterly password changes, because it resulted in either "password23Q1", "password23Q2", etc., or people just writing it on a post-it.

The most secure systems need to be easy enough to use that people don't try to bypass the annoying security.
Old May 30, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Which is amusing, because the result is that everyone turns it off. NIST stopped recommending quarterly password changes, because it resulted in either "password23Q1", "password23Q2", etc., or people just writing it on a post-it.
Yes it is amusing...and kind of dumb (but also not surprising).
Old May 30, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Every time I log in, I'm asked to enter a verification code. Is this the norm? There's no option for "this is my private device" or such. It is really annoying.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow

The most secure systems need to be easy enough to use that people don't try to bypass the annoying security.
This x1000. Password rotation is 20 year old thinking, and 2FA via email is 10 year old thinking. Not surprising though with AC IT though.

I end up using the AC app on my phone most of the time because I don't have this problem there. I only use the website when I have to do something complex.
jerry305, monkai and yulscs like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by zam
yeah. I tried to complete the survey a few hours after receiving the invitation and it said that it was already full...

I got the same one and it actually worked! Question near the end asks if you would agree to an interview.
Old May 30, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by golfr
Every time I log in, I'm asked to enter a verification code. Is this the norm? There's no option for "this is my private device" or such. It is really annoying.
Yes, it's normal (and really annoying). Scroll up a few posts and you'll see how to resolve it.
golfr likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:23 pm

Had a schedule change, picked new flights, the app errored out when accepting the change.
Called into AC, they accepted the change for me, and now when I log in all my flights look like the are an hour off (flight numbers match).

Is this "normal" for flight times to be an hour off?
Old May 31, 2023, 3:03 pm

Welp - finally had a run in with AC's OLCI. Booked with UA as a codeshare flight.

Have been having weird problems with my booking ever since I had a schedule change that had to be resolved through UA a few months ago (my outbound leg completely vanished, and I was left only with an inbound leg). I've since been unable to view it under "My Bookings", unable to select seats, etc. on AC's website. Any activity on AC's website with the AC PNR yielded an error, "please contact us to request a refund", or something. Prior to the schedule change, this was never an issue.

Contacted AC, and they assured me everything was good to go with the booking. OLCI opens, and now saying that my flight is not available for check-in. Frustrating, as I was planning a fairly late arrival at the airport tomorrow due to work commitments... doesn't leave much room for whatever surprises I end up encountering at the airport.
Old May 31, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE 100 IHG Plat Amb Nexus
I've found the not available for online check-in often happens on cross border and international flights due to document checks. May just be that.

Originally Posted by Denguin
Welp - finally had a run in with AC's OLCI. Booked with UA as a codeshare flight.

Have been having weird problems with my booking ever since I had a schedule change that had to be resolved through UA a few months ago (my outbound leg completely vanished, and I was left only with an inbound leg). I've since been unable to view it under "My Bookings", unable to select seats, etc. on AC's website. Any activity on AC's website with the AC PNR yielded an error, "please contact us to request a refund", or something. Prior to the schedule change, this was never an issue.

Contacted AC, and they assured me everything was good to go with the booking. OLCI opens, and now saying that my flight is not available for check-in. Frustrating, as I was planning a fairly late arrival at the airport tomorrow due to work commitments... doesn't leave much room for whatever surprises I end up encountering at the airport.
​​​​​​
Denguin likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 1, 2023 at 7:30 am Reason: Fixed quote
Old May 31, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by folkart
I've found the not available for online check-in often happens on cross border and international flights due to document checks. May just be that.
Hopefully that's all it is.

I'm guessing there's no way to get seats selected prior to this being resolved at the airport? Would be nice to guarantee our party sitting together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.