Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Website (aircanada.com) Experiences/Complaints/Issues (Nov 2020 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Website (aircanada.com) Experiences/Complaints/Issues (Nov 2020 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2023, 2:15 pm

I searched YYZ to SIN. It's not there
Old May 13, 2023, 4:44 pm

It's not there for me, signed in, using Chrome. And hasn't been for a few days.

If you need to extend the search out beyond what the calendar offers, you could try altering the url manually.
Old May 15, 2023, 2:33 am

Aeroplan booking, increase in points required at final page

Wow, I haven't booked anything on AC/Aeroplan for ages. Things have changed!!

I had issues with booking a reward trip this past weekend. The AC site wasn't cooperating and I had to re enter my dates repeatedly. I finally got some flight reward choices to load and discovered that my YYC-YUL (return) flight selection had Premium Economy seats for less points than Economy Flex or Latitude seats. I chose the flights, PE seats, noting the points required were 17,700 and 20,000 respectively per direction. Plus total fees of $91 ish.

On the final page, the fees were correct but the points had somehow increased to 48000. And my name had posted incorrectly, combining my first and middle names as one. In trying to correct the name and points errors, the site got hung up. Repeatedly.

In the end, a frustrating hour later, I just booked at the higher, incorrect points level (48000 instead of 37700) I have subsequently discovered that booking the same itinerary as two one way award flights, the points required (17,700 & 20,000) and the total taxes are correct as indicated on the selection page and on the final booking page.

Does anyone know what was going on with the random increase in points required? Why did this occur on a round-trip reward only? I did book on Saturday, so almost 40 hours ago, but is there any recourse in being charged 48000 points instead of 37700 as I had chosen? Is it a known website Aeroplan booking glitch?

Any insights appreciated.
Old May 15, 2023, 4:08 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by YYCishome
Wow, I haven't booked anything on AC/Aeroplan for ages. Things have changed!!

I had issues with booking a reward trip this past weekend. The AC site wasn't cooperating and I had to re enter my dates repeatedly. I finally got some flight reward choices to load and discovered that my YYC-YUL (return) flight selection had Premium Economy seats for less points than Economy Flex or Latitude seats. I chose the flights, PE seats, noting the points required were 17,700 and 20,000 respectively per direction. Plus total fees of $91 ish.

On the final page, the fees were correct but the points had somehow increased to 48000. And my name had posted incorrectly, combining my first and middle names as one. In trying to correct the name and points errors, the site got hung up. Repeatedly.

In the end, a frustrating hour later, I just booked at the higher, incorrect points level (48000 instead of 37700) I have subsequently discovered that booking the same itinerary as two one way award flights, the points required (17,700 & 20,000) and the total taxes are correct as indicated on the selection page and on the final booking page.

Does anyone know what was going on with the random increase in points required? Why did this occur on a round-trip reward only? I did book on Saturday, so almost 40 hours ago, but is there any recourse in being charged 48000 points instead of 37700 as I had chosen? Is it a known website Aeroplan booking glitch?

Any insights appreciated.
Happens all the time! Sometimes you can skirt it by booking on the app...sometimes the site corrects itself on a 2nd (or 3rd) try, sometimes you need to call in and talk to an agent offering to send a screen shot of the discrepancy...or as you discovered, book as 2 one-ways...not exactly an elegant solution but hey it's AC IT!!
boomerfss likes this.
Old May 15, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold
Not sure if this is the right thread, but thought this was interesting, not really sure if it's a fare thing or a website thing or some combo.

I'd been looking for a cash booking YYZ-CDG, and in the end found an option on Matrix through google flights that would not come up through the AC website search. The direct link from Matrix to the booking page did work, and this was an apparently a bookable fare. When I asked our corporate travel agent to replicate it he was unable, the same flights and fare classes would price out much higher. The only difference was that their system (and the AC website) was pricing it as "Business Lowest (Mixed Cabin)" while Matrix managed to get it priced as "Latitude (Mixed Cabin)"; in both cases the flight included a short Y domestic leg and then a TATL J segment. Anyone see this before or know if this is replicable?

FWIW the TA eventually managed to price it to match Matrix by feeding their system individual segments and it booked into Y and Z class on the outbound and P and Y on the return.
Old May 15, 2023, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by billdokes
Happens all the time! Sometimes you can skirt it by booking on the app...sometimes the site corrects itself on a 2nd (or 3rd) try, sometimes you need to call in and talk to an agent offering to send a screen shot of the discrepancy...or as you discovered, book as 2 one-ways...not exactly an elegant solution but hey it's AC IT!!
Thank you for the response.

So I had a conversation with Aeroplan this morning regarding the points discrepancy on the final booking page. It was a callback from an agent, which is an improvement over waiting on hold for hours.

The agent claimed she didn't know of that issue (I offered her sequential screenshots) and suggested a few solutions for....my next booking: Trying the incognito mode(which I was in while booking), asking what my browser was (Chrome), reloading the page ( done umpteen times) and finally, booking the incorrect points travel and calling in for them to fix it ( I ran out of time on Saturday). She also mentioned booking the segments as two one ways but I pointed out that would then, potentially, invoke two sets of change or cancel fees, she agreed with that assessment.

I was offered no refund of points, despite the same issue cropping up on a dummy booking this morning. I mentioned that after a hiatus booking with AC and Aeroplan, I was disappointed in how the website kept freezing/resetting and the glitch had cost me points. I am still unclear how my name(s) got mangled.

So my initial comment about how AC/Aeroplan booking has changed in the years since I last booked...was partially incorrect. The site still has glitches, known and ignored I suspect, and customer service is the same old can't really help. Sigh.

Posting this as a PublicServiceAnnouncement for those infrequent flyers like myself.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
I have been looking at SIN-SFO for a while now in J and there always seems to be availability on BR 360 days out. However, as I get closer to actually needing to book something all availability seems to have disappeared. Hoping this is just a temporary situation.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bsim
There used to be a panel at the top where you can search a few days at a time in the Aeroplan search engine . Now it is missing when you search for international flights. This is really frustrating espescially when you seraching 355 to 360 days out. Appreciate if anyone has any insights ?
They took it away. I spent a few days trying to get to the bottom of this. The explanation I ultimately got was that ACs partners wanted it removed. Seemed an odd excuse but was also told it would come back and it hasnt. I think the space available from 355 to 360 days wasnt supposed to be accessed and the option to do so was removed.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jm0115
I have been looking at SIN-SFO for a while now in J and there always seems to be availability on BR 360 days out. However, as I get closer to actually needing to book something all availability seems to have disappeared. Hoping this is just a temporary situation.
Likely not. BR space disappears quite quickly.
Jm0115 likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: AP 50K. SA Gold. Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
They took it away. I spent a few days trying to get to the bottom of this. The explanation I ultimately got was that ACs partners wanted it removed. Seemed an odd excuse but was also told it would come back and it hasnt. I think the space available from 355 to 360 days wasnt supposed to be accessed and the option to do so was removed.
This is so incredibly frustrating I've been hoping it would come back for the last month, it has made searching for award space an absolute nightmare. I figured it was a somewhat permeant change and not just a glitch seeing as it never affected any searches within North American only elsewhere around the world.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Flying EDI-LHR-YUL, booking on AC. The first leg is BA. AC says to check in with BA. BA wont let me check in online, and at the airport the agent says she cant check me in for the AC segment (nor check a bag through to YUL, of course).

The AC app is still telling me I need to check in with BA to get my LHR-YUL boarding pass. I have my BA boarding pass and an at the EDI gate, not checked in for my connecting flight.
Old May 17, 2023, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcrooked
Flying EDI-LHR-YUL, booking on AC. The first leg is BA. AC says to check in with BA. BA wont let me check in online, and at the airport the agent says she cant check me in for the AC segment (nor check a bag through to YUL, of course).

The AC app is still telling me I need to check in with BA to get my LHR-YUL boarding pass. I have my BA boarding pass and an at the EDI gate, not checked in for my connecting flight.
Can't say about the app. But aren't you able to check in on aircanada.com for LHR-YUL? That used to work OK when first leg was not on AC.
Old May 17, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by flyingcrooked

That seems strange if this is the same PNR, as both AC and BA use Amadeus so BA should at least be able to complete customer acceptance. Even if they can't fully check you in, they should be able to check the bag to YUL.

Originally Posted by Stranger
Can't say about the app. But aren't you able to check in on aircanada.com for LHR-YUL? That used to work OK when first leg was not on AC.
AC OLCI when first segment is not on AC will generally only let you access once you have been accepted by the previous carrier.
Old May 18, 2023, 2:09 am

Programs: AC SE, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by D582
AC OLCI when first segment is not on AC will generally only let you access once you have been accepted by the previous carrier.
I didnt try on the website after I checked in with BA in person, but couldnt do it with the app. Possibly because I had a 12 hour overnight layover at LHR? I didnt want to wait until the morning rush to check in, so headed to T2 when I landed last night to use the machine. That added a solid hour to the time it took me to reach my hotel, partly because crossrail is so infrequent at least at 10pm.

This would definitely deter me from booking with an initial BA leg again if my experience isnt anomalous. Not only was it a time suck but the inability to check in promptly coukd affect gate order. Luckily I was still able to clear into J (the last in the queue to make it) so am typing this from 6D.
Old May 20, 2023, 12:30 am

This is my first time booking with AC. Usually I'm on United, so when I was booking I put my and the other passengers' United FF#s into the booking. However, the booking only shows my (the first passenger on the list) United FF#. The other passengers don't have theirs showing on the booking. I've tried to add them, but the only thing that happens is a new confirmation email -- the number isn't added.

I saw a reference to something similar from ~1 yr ago, but no other great info.

How can I get the United #s into the reservation? Do I need to call?
Thanks much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.