Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by capedreamer
AC cancelled one of my flights and booked me on an alternate 2 hours 40 minutes earlier. I didn't like the new time but also wasn't ready to pick an alternate yet, so I called in and the Concierge agent I spoke to at the time said he'll leave a note that I can choose a different flight at a later date once I'm ready.

A couple days later, the system apparently took my silence as acceptance of the automatic rebooked flight. Now I just called back in to try to change the flight to one day later, and the agent I'm speaking to now is saying that involuntary schedule changes under 3 hours in different does not entitle passengers to a date change free of charge. She does not care for the note by her colleague.

Is this a new rule?

EDIT: The agent ultimately allowed me to make the change but made it a point to let me know she was making an exception and doing me a huge favour.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 11:50 am

Hi everybody,

If I may I would like to use this very topic to ask a question.
AC has just "changed" the second leg of my flight from LHR to Smithers. The layover in between the two legs was 22h, which I had no issues with. The trouble now is that AC sent me an email saying they moved the second leg (vancouver -smither) 24h! That means that I'll have to wait in Vancouver one unecessary day. I checked on the website ad it looks like my original flight was cancelled as is not more availabe on that day, so I 'm afraid AC has used the word (and the excuse) of the "change" to not incur in compensation.
Note also that this was notified to me less than 12 days from the departure.

The free cancellation won't do, so is there any compensation I have any right to ask?

thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GTMD81
If I may I would like to use this very topic to ask a question.
Your question is exactly what this thread is for

AC has just "changed" the second leg of my flight from LHR to Smithers. The layover in between the two legs was 22h, which I had no issues with. The trouble now is that AC sent me an email saying they moved the second leg (vancouver -smither) 24h! That means that I'll have to wait in Vancouver one unecessary day. I checked on the website ad it looks like my original flight was cancelled as is not more availabe on that day, so I 'm afraid AC has used the word (and the excuse) of the "change" to not incur in compensation.
Note also that this was notified to me less than 12 days from the departure.

The free cancellation won't do, so is there any compensation I have any right to ask?
You're unlikely to get any compensation, because AC thinks everything is out of its control (see this thread for discussion), but you have the right to ask them to re-book you on a better route. For instance, flying LHR-YYZ-YVR-YYD might get you back on your original YVR-YYD flight and only having to leave LHR a few hours earlier.

If you share your dates, the FT community would probably help you try to find better routings.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:13 pm

Thanks for that. All sorted already though: I've been at the phone with AC (30 min wait - 15 mins talk ) and they changed with a solution that makes me wake up veeeeery early in the morning, divided in three legs but at least no overnight stops in vancouver. (and also more expensive than the one I choose anyway, of course didn't pay any difference at least)
I was expecting no change on the flights and a hotel night and/or a category upgrade but clearly I've seen too many tiktokers giving away wrong information ahahahahah
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:25 am
yrp

LH feeder cancelled; will misconnect to AC TATL

My girlfriend has a AC ticket returning from Europe to Toronto this week: KTW-FRA-YUL-YTZ:
LH has cancelled the morning KTW-FRA flight and rebooked her on the afternoon flight which misconnects in FRA. I found this out when I called LH for a different question. Neither AC nor LH notified her, which seems odd, and the bovine-information-inspector (thanks canadiancow!) still shows the original flights. The LH agent said to call AC to rebook it.

Simple enough, call AC to rebook. The complication is her situation, so I'd like to understand some options.

She is there to visit an elderly relative who is day-to-day in hospital. She will likely want to delay the return, depending on events. I'd been planning to either use AC's flexible policy if required or just book a separate cash or reward return. The cancellation turns out to be beneficial, if it lets her change the date.

This policy (AC Travel Ready Hub) says she can make a free change due to the cancellation -- does it waive the fare difference, or just change fee? It is a discount L class fare. Was there a different policy for tickets booked before Dec 31? I thought I saw posts mentioning a policy change. It is an 014 stock ticket, booked direct with AC, if it matters.

Alternatively, EU261 seems to apply, assuming they can't find a within-four-hours-arrival alternative (I can't spot one), as I found out 10 days before. EU261 seems to say she has the option to rebook on a later date, if available seats. Does the available seat need to be same fare bucket or just any seat, i.e. pay fare difference or not? Obviously they have to rebook with no fare difference if it is same date, but maybe its different if you request the date change.

The reason for asking is that while AC/LH obviously have to rebook her something, we probably want to tentatively delay the return at least a few days. But I'd prefer to avoid paying a fare difference in the meantime since it might be lower after a later change. Also we don't want to "use up" any limits in AC's free change policy, although that seems to be unlimited until Jan 31.

Last edited by yrp; Jan 9, 2022 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Just don't do anything until you know when you want to fly.

Fare difference will be waived. Historically they've letting you book within 30 days of original travel date.
yrp, Adam Smith and kalderlake like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:42 pm
yrp

Even if we don't know before the original date?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yrp
Even if we don't know before the original date?
Oh, well, that's harder. You don't want to no-show. But you at least have a few days to figure it out.
yrp likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:01 pm
yrp

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Oh, well, that's harder. You don't want to no-show. But you at least have a few days to figure it out.
Ok, yes. Thanks for the help.

(And the tools. I've been using both of them. Good stuff.)
painintheuk likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:11 am
yrp

In the end, her travel medical insurance made the decision; it could only be extended so long. AC rebooked a week or so later, no real issues.

Just curious about one point, which perhaps matters if she wants to ask for EC261 compensation: she never did get notified of the cancellation. AC says LH should have notified her. LH says they tell the ticketing carrier who notifies the passenger. So neither did. Who is supposed to or normally does?

(I do feel slightly awkward asking about that, since she would have changed the flight if it hadn't been cancelled. So it would strictly be a bonus, not compensation for inconvenience.)
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:21 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yrp
Just curious about one point, which perhaps matters if she wants to ask for EC261 compensation: she never did get notified of the cancellation. AC says LH should have notified her. LH says they tell the ticketing carrier who notifies the passenger. So neither did. Who is supposed to or normally does?
LH is correct, AC should have notified her.

For questions relating to claiming EU261 compensation from AC, you may want to consult this thread.
yrp likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:43 am
yrp

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
LH is correct, AC should have notified her.

For questions relating to claiming EU261 compensation from AC, you may want to consult this thread.
Thanks for the link. My understanding is that LH as the operating carrier is responsible for EU 261 compensation. I shall look for the corresponding thread on the LH forums.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Time Change Causes Illegal Connection DUB-YYZ-DTW - Award Flight Options?

I have a business class award booked in March from Ireland to the US. The YYZ-DTW flight time changed and now only provides for a 65 minute connection in YYZ - I think the minimum is 90. The AC website is not showing any options to rebook so I'm guessing I'll have to spend some time on the phone with a human. I always like to know my options so I can ask for what is best for me instead of making the agent find the first less than desirable option. In terms of status with AC I am basically dirt - the booking was made with transferred Chase points. I'm curious for input from the AC experts here on what I can actually ask for. What I see so far:

Override the MCT and risk a misconnect. I will be up front on the inbound and have Global Entry/Pre Check for US security/customs. Possible?

Move me to late DL flight for the YYZ-DTW leg. Doubtful as not alliance partner.

One stop UA itineraries on UA metal through IAD and EWR. Show business award availability on UA website but not AC. Possible to be moved to an all UA itinerary?

Overnight in YYZ. Not sure if this complicates anything with Canadian immigration and COVID rules.

YYZ-IAD-DTW is showing bookable as an AC award but think I would rather overnight in YYZ if it came down to it.

Lufthansa through FRA? (That is actually my outbound routing with Aviancia Lifemiles)

The one stop UA routing would be my first choice with moving to DL for the second leg my second choice. Biggest thing is staying in J for the over water segment. Anything I missed or other advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The itinerary is a no go. You ll need to change it.
Key is to have a routing in mind when you call. See whats available via AC points bookings online (amount of points doesnt matter)

They can open up availability on any AC flight without questions, but not partners, although they may be open to if you press hard.

For the United flights, you will need partner availability (not just Mileage Plus) - so you need to look at the AC search engine
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by work2fly
Thank you.

I'm hopeful that there will be another schedule change that will allow us to clean this up to SFO-YYZ-MAD RT so I am inclined just to stay put with what we have. Thankfully, there are footrests on the 737Max, and it's a more personal 787 after all (LOL),

I'm sure once we're ensconced in the Signature lounge on the outbound, all will be forgotten.
I'm in a similar boat where the latest schedule adjustment has changed the first leg of my SFO-YYZ-MAD trip from a 787 to an A320, hence the loss of lie-flats for both SFO-YYZ and the return as well. The arrival time on SFO-YYZ is delayed 15-minutes with the A320 switch but still won't impact the connection to YYZ-MAD, yet I was doing some wishful thinking that maybe that's enough to allow me to rebook from LAX instead (where I'm actually based - I took advantage of the same fare sale ex-SFO) and take the currently scheduled A330. What's the likelihood of AC letting me make that change? Ultimately, I'll be fine as-is, just curious if it's worth spending the effort to contact AC. And who knows - there could be further schedule changes down the line!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.