Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
If a schedule change affects an Aeroplan ticket, how much latitude is there to rebook an alternate route?

I have YXU-YYZ-FRA-MLA (last leg is LH). Schedule change on YXU-YYZ forced a seven hour layover in YYZ, as opposed to the two hour one I had booked. Only options to shorten it would be to do YYZ-LHR instead (and then LHR-MLA would be on KM I think).

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 28, 2021 at 2:21 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by talkeryxu
If a schedule change affects an Aeroplan ticket, how much latitude is there to rebook an alternate route?

I have YXU-YYZ-FRA-MLA (last leg is LH). Schedule change on YXU-YYZ forced a seven hour layover in YYZ, as opposed to the two hour one I had booked. Only options to shorten it would be to do YYZ-LHR instead (and then LHR-MLA would be on KLM I think).
I was going to say "no problem" until the very last part.

They can easily force space on any AC flights, but something like this is unlikely to get them to buy revenue on another airline, and getting them to do it on KL is unlikely.

Is there no ZRH/BRU/MUC/VIE/etc. option that works?

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 28, 2021 at 2:21 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Sep 28, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I was going to say "no problem" until the very last part.

They can easily force space on any AC flights, but something like this is unlikely to get them to buy revenue on another airline, and getting them to do it on KL is unlikely.

Is there no ZRH/BRU/MUC/VIE/etc. option that works?
I meant to say "KM" (Air Malta) instead of "KLM" (d'uh on my part)

That said, it's not an *A so I'm not sure that changes anything.

There are a couple of ZHR options but they would have an eight hour connection in ZRH and a later arrival to MLA than we want. Not seeing anything viable on the departure day through BRU/MUC/VIE when I look for cash fares.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Alaska Mileage Plan, CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by TenForward
Great to know that it will eventually be handled, as this trip is 2 months away. I proactively reached out to AE (escalated to a supervisor who is apparently going to call me back in a few days while he works on getting UA to approve revenue space) because I wanted to get into a better flight on UA Polaris (as opposed to them putting me into an alternative flight I won't be OK with). I figured keeping it in the * Alliance would be OK, but it seems that AC/AE is using COVID as a reason to avoid putting pax into any non AC revenue seats, even when AC cancels a route and the only other option is a * Alliance carrier.
Update: So the AE supervisor called me back, reiterated that it is next to impossible for them to book on UA metal on an AE ticket unless the schedule change was due to UA. He then said that it was much easier for him to book the segment that would get me to SJU on Delta. I couldn't believe this, but minutes later, sure enough, we are booked in DL C class on a 75W with the Delta One flat bed cabin JFK-SJU. UNREAL.

Thanks to all, hope this data point can be helpful.
CorSter, canadiancow and OZtrav like this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:45 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
My direct YUL-SJO flights in March have been replaced with connections in YYZ and I now leave at 530AM in the morning on the way there which I am not thrilled about.

This is an AE award, how long do I have to accept the changes in the app? And if ever the direct flight came back (used to be Rogue), will I be allowed to change back to that on an award ticket?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:04 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
This is an AE award, how long do I have to accept the changes in the app?
Essentially indefinite. Acknowledging the changes doesn't negate your right to change/cancel as a result of the change.

And if ever the direct flight came back (used to be Rogue), will I be allowed to change back to that on an award ticket?
Yes. Not that it's likely.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Woke up this morning to a "refund receipt" email from AC. Turns out our Jan 3rd BKK-HKG-YVR-YWG in Y is no longer workable. We started with this itinerary which we booked before Sept. 30th:

I called in and spoke to a very friendly CSR who changed us to BKK-FRA-YYZ-YWG on the same day. It seemed reasonable so I agreed. 20 mins later I opened the itinerary and got a nice surprise:

Never had a free upgrade before the day of flying before. The ironic thing is that we booked this flight simply to be able to show Thai immigration that we have proof of onward travel and fully intended to cancel it. Assuming we are able to extend our Thai visas we will actually be coming back to Canada in May. What are the odds that we could call in and change the dates to May and not lose the new J seats?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by poohhead80
My questions are
1. How can I request the refund? Is this something AC would be willing to provide refund? How quickly does AC reply?
2. I would like to get refund to my credit card, not voucher/e-ticket. How does AC handle the refund process?
3. How does AC calculates fare difference of Premium E and E of one-way in an international round trip ticket?
To the OP - did you end up getting a refund / any compensation? AC just did something similar to me. I had a flight for LAX to YYZ to ZRH - premium economy on AC. The aircraft was swapped for LAX to YYZ and I was downgraded to regular economy (booking class "N" was changed to "V"). I booked the ticket via United.com so that adds an extra layer of complexity. Gonna try to reach out to UA to get re-routed on a UA flight instead.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Oct 7, 2021 at 6:26 pm Reason: Add quote for clarity after thread merge
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
To the OP - did you end up getting a refund / any compensation? AC just did something similar to me. I had a flight for LAX to YYZ to ZRH - premium economy on AC. The aircraft was swapped for LAX to YYZ and I was downgraded to regular economy (booking class "N" was changed to "V"). I booked the ticket via United.com so that adds an extra layer of complexity. Gonna try to reach out to UA to get re-routed on a UA flight instead.
Since it sounds like you haven't taken your flight yet, and you bought your ticket from United, you need to talk to United about re-booking or compensation. AC can't and won't do anything as UA controls the ticket, and it's up to United to re-book or compensate you.
CorSter and hoangtri1 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm now seeing that for my HEL-FRA-YYC-SFO J reservation, FRA-YYC and YYC-SFO are canceled and replaced with flights now routing through YUL instead on January 5th. Any chance I can change the flight over the phone to a different *A partner such as LH for no difference?

Last edited by yogibearla; Oct 14, 2021 at 7:56 pm
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yogibearla
I'm now seeing that for my HEL-FRA-YYC-SFO J reservation, FRA-YYC and YYC-SFO are canceled and replaced with flights now routing through YUL instead on January 5th. Any chance I can change the flight over the phone to a different *A partner such as LH for no difference?
Is this a paid ticket? If so, probably.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Is this a paid ticket? If so, probably.
Yes paid for. With the change, I'm also scheduled to arrive more than 3 hours later. Guess it's time to give them a call
Old Oct 22, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am worried about this too. I have a 1 hour and 45 min connection in YYZ to DOH. It is on AC metal and then QR from DOH to MLE. It is an AC document. I bought this flight because AC has premium economy and the fare was reasonable. Now if I miss this flight at YYZ due late incoming AC Rouge flight, I wonder what AC is going to do? QR that flies the next day does not have Premium Economy. AC does fly to FRA and then LH to MLE but would AC give me a premium seat on LH from FRA to MLE? I am only taking this route because of the availability of Premium Economy. I am Star Gold. Would that make any difference?
Old Oct 24, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
AP J reward, LH long haul substituted with 4Y discount airline

I have a J booking for next May where the long haul portion (FRA-YYC) was on LH and it has been replaced by a flight on 4Y (EuroWings Discover) at the exact same time/duration.

Anyone have any experience with these guys? it appears to be a new rebranding of a discount leisure airline (their version of Rouge?), part of LH Group. Their web site suggests business class seating, baggage, etc is provided, but meals are like choose a sandwich off the bistro menu, and no beverages included. To me, that is a massive change for a 10hrs flight.

I see that LH is no longer flying that route. I do see an AC flight FRA-YVR about 30mins later (would effectively replace the YYC and the following segment of our booking). however, it shows at twice the AP points as what I paid for my original itinerary. I haven't called AP yet to try to swap the flight, but anyone have a similar situation and was allowed to change without being gouged with a reprice?

should I act now, or wait as there will prob be mire schedule changes still. I am concerned that this would use up my "one change" on the booking, if I understand the new rule situation on AC bookings.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
I have a J booking for next May where the long haul portion (FRA-YYC) was on LH and it has been replaced by a flight on 4Y (EuroWings Discover) at the exact same time/duration.

[...]

I see that LH is no longer flying that route. I do see an AC flight FRA-YVR about 30mins later (would effectively replace the YYC and the following segment of our booking). however, it shows at twice the AP points as what I paid for my original itinerary. I haven't called AP yet to try to swap the flight, but anyone have a similar situation and was allowed to change without being gouged with a reprice?

should I act now, or wait as there will prob be mire schedule changes still. I am concerned that this would use up my "one change" on the booking, if I understand the new rule situation on AC bookings.
Lufthansa has cancelled your flight. In the old days, this was clear-cut grounds for an involuntary change to the ticket (i.e. one you wouldn't have to pay for). Under the new policy, if you're not departing or arriving +/- more than 3 hours from your original time of departure, and there's not a CoS downgrade, you're SOL. If you make a change, it will count as your free change.

Anyone have any experience with these guys? it appears to be a new rebranding of a discount leisure airline (their version of Rouge?), part of LH Group. Their web site suggests business class seating, baggage, etc is provided, but meals are like choose a sandwich off the bistro menu, and no beverages included. To me, that is a massive change for a 10hrs flight.
That's a question for the LH forum, such as this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.