Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 12:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by want2fly4less
Hi,
I`ve booked HAM-FRA (LH) FRA-YUL-SJO (AC) SJO-YUL (AC) YUL-ZRH-HAM(LX) in November. It is an Air Canada ticket and Air Canada just canceled YUL-SJO-YUL. Would AC rebook on HAM-FRA-SJO (LH) return ?
Unlikely, because they'll probably want to keep you on AC metal, or at least a codeshare, on the TATL leg (see this post). Have they re-booked you on anything yet?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Unlikely, because they'll probably want to keep you on AC metal, or at least a codeshare, on the TATL leg (see this post). Have they re-booked you on anything yet?
They added in a flight from YUL-YZZ-SJO on the day before I fly HAM-FRA-YYZ...

So time travel is the name of the game...

On a first call, they offered to rebook HAM-FRA-YYZ-SAL-SJO, which is a bit of a trek...
Old Sep 21, 2021, 9:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by want2fly4less
They added in a flight from YUL-YZZ-SJO on the day before I fly HAM-FRA-YYZ...

So time travel is the name of the game...

On a first call, they offered to rebook HAM-FRA-YYZ-SAL-SJO, which is a bit of a trek...
As I pointed out in the post I linked to earlier, AC's tariff has no real guidelines for re-bookings, and refers mainly to the relevant Canadian regulations. The key text from those regulations, from your perspective, is "Large airlines must rebook you on the next available flight operated by them, or an airline with which they have a commercial agreement, on any reasonable route from the same airport." The challenge for you is that it comes down to an interpretation of what is "reasonable", and while I would agree that HAM-FRA-YYZ-SAL-SJO is not very "reasonable" when HAM-FRA-SJO is available, AC's staff will be reading the schedule change guidelines that I also linked to, which push them to prioritize putting you on AC metal. This may require a HUCA and potentially trying to get a supervisor involved. Quoting the regulations may help, or it may not.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Alaska Mileage Plan, CX Gold, SPG Gold, Aeroplan
All AC AE booking YVR-SJU, AC no longer flies to SJU, rules to accommodate on UA?

So my AE booking in J from YVR-YYZ-SJU has had myriad schedule changes, with the YYZ-SJU on Rouge now cancelled. As of now, AC does not fly to SJU. I called in and spoke with AE, including a supervisor, who advised that "because of COVID, they are not re-protecting anyone on UA revenue seats". I was told that even if they try, the system will auto-cancel the UA legs within 5 mins.

It is my understanding that as AC has issued a ticket (albeit on AE points), they have the obligation to get me to my final destination (in this SJU, which is considered to be the US). Am I correct that if they no longer fly there, they must accommodate me with UA? Obviously there is no award space to SJU on UA (which AE was quick to point out), but I pressed them on the issue of them having a duty to accommodate. I'm reaching out to lean on the wonderful world of FT to guide me and ideally know what DoT or similar requirements to quote when I HUCA.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Their official schedule change policy says that for Aeroplan bookings, they will only book OAL in O/I/X.

DOT has no jurisdiction on your booking, because it doesn't touch the US.

Honestly I find if you just don't touch the booking, the back office will rebook you in revenue classes. Front-line agents (and supervisors) are much less likely.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Their official schedule change policy says that for Aeroplan bookings, they will only book OAL in O/I/X.

Honestly I find if you just don't touch the booking, the back office will rebook you in revenue classes. Front-line agents (and supervisors) are much less likely.
Are you talking about the SJO (not US) or SJU (definitely US, even though not a 'state').
Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:14 am

For clarity, I am referring to SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico) which I understand is considered domestic US. Good idea about the back office - I'll keep that in mind. Thank you Canadiancow!
Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by entropy
Are you talking about the SJO (not US) or SJU (definitely US, even though not a 'state').
SJU indeed - so definitely US. Do any DoT regulations apply here? Or Canadian regulations?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:34 am

Oops, my bad. Read it way too quickly.

Yes, DOT would be a good option at some point.

I'm roughly 0% for getting them to buy space on OAL for me when asking.

I'm roughly 100% for leaving completely broken tickets sitting around for weeks, and suddenly I'm in UA Z or LH C.

When a schedule change happens that can't be automatically fixed, it enters a queue, and eventually gets handled by someone. Assuming the travel is not imminent, you'll either get an email with an updated itinerary, or a phone call about a problem.
CorSter, Adam Smith and kalderlake like this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 12:48 pm

Oops, my bad. Read it way too quickly.

Yes, DOT would be a good option at some point.

I'm roughly 0% for getting them to buy space on OAL for me when asking.

I'm roughly 100% for leaving completely broken tickets sitting around for weeks, and suddenly I'm in UA Z or LH C.

When a schedule change happens that can't be automatically fixed, it enters a queue, and eventually gets handled by someone. Assuming the travel is not imminent, you'll either get an email with an updated itinerary, or a phone call about a problem.
Great to know that it will eventually be handled, as this trip is 2 months away. I proactively reached out to AE (escalated to a supervisor who is apparently going to call me back in a few days while he works on getting UA to approve revenue space) because I wanted to get into a better flight on UA Polaris (as opposed to them putting me into an alternative flight I won't be OK with). I figured keeping it in the * Alliance would be OK, but it seems that AC/AE is using COVID as a reason to avoid putting pax into any non AC revenue seats, even when AC cancels a route and the only other option is a * Alliance carrier.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Any luck getting PY pushed to (north america) "J"?

Those seats are roughly equivalent (not the lie flats)....
Old Sep 23, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
So for SEA-YVR-YUL, it sounds like I would not be successful in asking for a re-route via UA? Originally booked on a red-eye itinerary...it's currently broken (later first flight, early second flight on the same day), but would prefer a re-book on UA so that I can still have a red-eye. The AC options remaining basically take up the day in travel time.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
So for SEA-YVR-YUL, it sounds like I would not be successful in asking for a re-route via UA? Originally booked on a red-eye itinerary...it's currently broken (later first flight, early second flight on the same day), but would prefer a re-book on UA so that I can still have a red-eye. The AC options remaining basically take up the day in travel time.
There's no harm in asking. But I'd suggest finding one AC metal flight. And if you can get an AC number for the UA flight, it'll be a lot easier to call and say "hey, this doesn't work any more, can you rebook me on AC 8765 and AC 123?"
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
There's no harm in asking. But I'd suggest finding one AC metal flight. And if you can get an AC number for the UA flight, it'll be a lot easier to call and say "hey, this doesn't work any more, can you rebook me on AC 8765 and AC 123?"
As expected, I didn't have any luck asking for the UA flights, although the agent tried. They are zeroed out in whatever system he was using. I ended up refunding the ticket, as the only options available would have needed a day off from work. I was a bit surprised they wouldn't allow a 2-stop itinerary (YVR, YYZ), given a refund as the alternative.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:32 am

Any luck getting PY pushed to (north america) "J"?

Those seats are roughly equivalent (not the lie flats)....
I wish.
Not only are the seats equivalent, the service is about the same too.
I've been having this issue with a YVR-YUL equipment change.
To me it would seem reasonable, that if I pay for 38" of legroom, I should get 38" of legroom.

I've been allegedly been downgraded to Comfort with a 50% return of airfare for the segment paid.
However when I try to select seats, I'm being told I have to pay for the preferred section.
It's a work in progress at the moment.
I could bid upgrade to J. If successful, the spread between the refund I got and the upgrade would be an additional $150 to AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.