Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not sure of your point, but from the UK where I'm based it's a 00800 number which is expensive on a mobile phone, but free on a landline. And not dialable on many IP phone services it seems.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SMcG_
Not sure of your point, but from the UK where I'm based it's a 00800 number which is expensive on a mobile phone, but free on a landline. And not dialable on many IP phone services it seems.
I'm saying there are plenty of numbers that are not "toll free" numbers that you could have used, which can definitely be called from Skype et al.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Aircraft changes have existed as long as I've been flying, and likely will exist forever.

The notable exception, of course, being WN.

However, unlike any other airline I've flown, AC actually charges a different price for Signature vs Business on various routes, and will refund it when this happens.

​​​​​​
​​​​​​​Thank you.

I called AC yesterday regarding a downgauge on a YYZ-SFO segment as part of a MAD-LIS-YYZ-SFO itin. AC wouldn't move us to a MAD-YYZ direct flight nor would they allow us to fly YYZ-SFO the next day on a widebody. All of this was expected as per this forum.

On the one hand, disappointing that I thought we'd get a specific service and equipment, just like the US premium transcons flown by AA, UA, and DL. And disappointing, as I've had success requesting similar changes from other airlines in the past.

On the other hand, 4 of us are flying this RT itin for about US $6K total, so I guess beggars can't be choosers and we're getting the LCC customer service that we paid for.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 10, 2021 at 1:43 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
... nor would they allow us to fly YYZ-SFO the next day on a widebody. All of this was expected as per this forum.
That is not expected. Stopping in YYZ for under 24 hours on an international itinerary is well within the rules.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
That is not expected. Stopping in YYZ for under 24 hours on an international itinerary is well within the rules.
But a downgauge is no longer grounds to make an involuntary change to an itinerary (I think in the old tariff, it actually was, even though equipment type was "not guaranteed"), so not surprising that making such a change would not be permitted - without repricing.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:48 pm

I'm making a slight assumption that there have been other changes on the booking. When did MAD-YYZ leave the schedule, for example?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:50 pm

Thank you.

I'm hopeful that there will be another schedule change that will allow us to clean this up to SFO-YYZ-MAD RT so I am inclined just to stay put with what we have. Thankfully, there are footrests on the 737Max, and it's a more personal 787 after all (LOL),

I'm sure once we're ensconced in the Signature lounge on the outbound, all will be forgotten.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:53 pm

I'm making a slight assumption that there have been other changes on the booking. When did MAD-YYZ leave the schedule, for example?
This was a sale fare that didn't seem to allow the YYZ-MAD non-stop routing, so it's AC to LIS, them TP to MAD and vice versa.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
This was a sale fare that didn't seem to allow the YYZ-MAD non-stop routing, so it's AC to LIS, them TP to MAD and vice versa.
Ah, so you haven't actually had a significant schedule change. Okay, just wait for one
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:07 am

flight connection in IAD

Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions. I used Aeroplan to book a flight award from LAX-IAD-AUH-MLE earlier this year. LAX to IAD is on united the rest is on Etihad. The problem I've encountered is it seems united changed my LAX-IAD flight leaving me with a much shorter connection of 45min instead of the 2 hours I had before. Is this connection possible? I've never been to IAD before and looking at the airport map as long as my flight is on time to IAD and I land in C gates its a quick airtrain ride to concourse A. Don't plan on checking any bags. Do I have any options to get on an earlier flight with united? If yes would this be done with Aeroplan agent or do I contact united? I'm worried Aeroplan would make me cancel my entire award flight in order to rebook. I have first and business in Etihad and I don't want to cancel them incase they don't release those award seats when I rebook. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:08 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ianj51490
Looking to see if anyone has any suggestions. I used Aeroplan to book a flight award from LAX-IAD-AUH-MLE earlier this year. LAX to IAD is on united the rest is on Etihad. The problem I've encountered is it seems united changed my LAX-IAD flight leaving me with a much shorter connection of 45min instead of the 2 hours I had before. Is this connection possible? I've never been to IAD before and looking at the airport map as long as my flight is on time to IAD and I land in C gates its a quick airtrain ride to concourse A. Don't plan on checking any bags. Do I have any options to get on an earlier flight with united? If yes would this be done with Aeroplan agent or do I contact united? I'm worried Aeroplan would make me cancel my entire award flight in order to rebook. I have first and business in Etihad and I don't want to cancel them incase they don't release those award seats when I rebook. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
The AC forum isn't really the right place to discuss connections from UA to EY at IAD. A quick search might turn up some more appropriate options, such as a thread on the UA forum on D-I connections at IAD.

As for your fundamental question of what this means for your ticket, the minimum connection time at IAD for domestic to international is generally 45 minutes, but for UA connecting to another airline, it's 90. If your connection is now down to 45 minutes, it's below MCT, and AC should be re-booking you. If Amadeus is smart enough to pick up this MCT exception, AC should re-book you automatically at some point. If you don't like what they re-book you on, you could call in to have it changed, although there's a risk that any automatic re-booking would try to keep you on AC metal as much as possible, e.g. LAX-YYZ-FRA-MLE, and if you were looking forward to flying EY, you might not like that.

You can certainly reach out proactively to Aeroplan (not United - this is an AC ticket, and UA can't touch it at this point) about re-booking, before anything happens automatically. If there's reward space on an earlier LAX-IAD flight, this should be an easy conversation. If not, they may also try to keep you on AC metal, but if you hold firm on retaining as much of your original routing as possible, you might even convince them to purchase revenue space on LAX-IAD. But if AC can find an alternate routing that has reward space (like the one I mentioned above), they may tell you that you can have that routing or just cancel your ticket. Unless you're dead set on flying EY, you might want to check out alternate options and see whether any of those are more palatable to you than what AC might come up with. You could also consider moving your trip by a day or two, if that works for you and helps preserve the EY option.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: AP AS BA
When will AC cancel flights with low loads?

I'm playing a game of chicken with AC. I do not plan on taking a PY (lowest) TATL flight but would like AC to make drastic changes or cancel so I can get cash back (without a penalty) rather than a voucher. It's now T-50hrs. I supposed that means AC is not going to change my flights and I'll have to take the voucher or take a penalty?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by fbrdky
I'm playing a game of chicken with AC. I do not plan on taking a PY (lowest) TATL flight but would like AC to make drastic changes or cancel so I can get cash back (without a penalty) rather than a voucher. It's now T-50hrs. I supposed that means AC is not going to change my flights and I'll have to take the voucher or take a penalty?
Cancelling an international flight at the last minute creates a huge mess in terms of plane and crew scheduling, as well as rebooking passengers. For a TATL flight, they will also need to pay out compensation for passengers travelling from Europe to Canada. If AC were going to cancel your flight due to low loads, they would have done so a long time ago.

If they are short a plane due to bad weather or a mechanical problem, they will cancel the flight that impacts them the least, which could be yours, but the odds of that happening are quite low.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by fbrdky
What gave you reason to believe that AC would cancel / change the flight?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:44 am

AC cancelled my flight tomorrow and the app says they moved me, but I want a different flight. AC phone number says they'd normally help me, but Aeroplan must do it because it's an Aeroplan ticket.

Is this true? (Finally got through to Aeroplan but am curious to know.)

Last edited by rrgg; Dec 18, 2021 at 12:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.