Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
point well taken, thanks
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Um... Originally I had an upgrade request for SFO-YYZ-AMS. Now I'm sitting in PY/Y for a bunch of it. Guess I'm refunding...

Also they LITERALLY TOLD ME it had to be AC metal over water... Last I checked, LH is not AC.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Um... Originally I had an upgrade request for SFO-YYZ-AMS. Now I'm sitting in PY/Y for a bunch of it. Guess I'm refunding...

Also they LITERALLY TOLD ME it had to be AC metal over water... Last I checked, LH is not AC.
They were unable to refund this over the phone. It had to be queued to another department. Sigh.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:58 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Welps, looks like AC cancelled YYZ-MAD for my trip in late March/early April. I'm rebooked to SFO-YYZ-FRA on AC and FRA-MAD on LH which gets me in a few hours later but not a big deal. At least YYZ-FRA is still in a lie-flat.

The return leg however wasn't rebooked for some reason. There are a myriad of options to fly via MUC, FRA, and BRU back to a Canadian airport and then to SFO, but if I move the return a day before or after, I can take a direct flight LIS-YYZ and then back to SFO. Given that the MAD flights are cancelled, how likely will the LIS flights also stay in the schedule?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
April 8A YYZ-SFO downgauged from 789 to max8...

not worth dealing with the AM transborder s-show for max8...
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by entropy
April 8A YYZ-SFO downgauged from 789 to max8...

not worth dealing with the AM transborder s-show for max8...
I have the issue in March. My 787 got changed to a max8. And my departing flight has been outright cancelled. Looks like the noon flight on March 16th is gone.

So I was booked on YOW - YYZ - SFO - PSP on Mar 16 but the YYZ to SFO flight is cancelled forcing an overnight in YYZ.

I asked to be rerouted YOW - YYZ - DEN - PSP but United has no seats in X. They are telling me that can no longer request that United open up space.

Am I stuck with an overnight somewhere? Can anybody think of a better option (other than staying home haha)

To be clear, I booked latitude so I was looking to get as many as the flights in J as possible and ideally on a widebody, but any flight on UA will go into X.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 21, 2022 at 4:05 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by dr_torch
So I was booked on YOW - YYZ - SFO - PSP on Mar 16 but the YYZ to SFO flight is cancelled forcing an overnight in YYZ.

I asked to be rerouted YOW - YYZ - DEN - PSP but United has no seats in X. They are telling me that can no longer request that United open up space.

Am I stuck with an overnight somewhere? Can anybody think of a better option (other than staying home haha)

To be clear, I booked latitude so I was looking to get as many as the flights in J as possible and ideally on a widebody, but any flight on UA will go into X.
If UA is out of seats, they are out of seats. Depending on what you think is a "better" option, there is LAX, ONT, even SAN or LAS as within someones concept of a reasonable drive. But too far for any resort shuttle.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:19 pm

If you're not willing to overnight anywhere, you can't do YOW-PSP departing on the 16th. But you could overnight in YVR and fly AC the whole way.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by RangerNS
If UA is out of seats, they are out of seats. Depending on what you think is a "better" option, there is LAX, ONT, even SAN or LAS as within someones concept of a reasonable drive. But too far for any resort shuttle.
SAN may be a good option. Will AE allow me to change the destination without recalculating the points?

Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you're not willing to overnight anywhere, you can't do YOW-PSP departing on the 16th. But you could overnight in YVR and fly AC the whole way.
I'll consider this. I could get a widebody to YVR and stay close to the airport

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 21, 2022 at 4:04 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by dr_torch
SAN may be a good option. Will AE allow me to change the destination without recalculating the points?
Maybe? I think on paper, no, but they did cancel one of your flights. So its a matter of what might be "reasonable". In the air its < 100nm difference, but they aren't co-terminals. I would assume AC metal is cheaper for them all around, but I don't know if that factors into what the agents are allowed to do. Actually, spot checking Mar 16 YOW-SAN as fewer points over PSP, right now, but I don't know what your booking cost.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 5:30 am

I hope someone here can give me some hope, but I suspect I'm am SOL on this. I'm the one who booked the BKK-HND=LHR, stopover, LHR,-FRA-ORD-AUS booking with the HND-LHR and FRA--ORD legs in F on ANA and Lufthansa respectively. The first portion of the trip went off with no problems at all. The LHR-FRA-ORD took place on January 19. The same day of airlines canceling flight to the US because of the 5G issues. Lufthansa did not cancel the flight, but equipment swapped to a 747-400 with no F. I was even checking the night before for cancellations etc, but it appeared everything was going to go as planned. Next morning not so much. Even the flight purser said they didn't find out about the swap out till about 5:30am. Do I have any recourse? I assume I am SOL, but hope there is a chance to maybe get some miles back. Don't really feel like waiting on hold forever with Aeroplan unless there is a realistic chance of getting something back.

BTW, my understanding is that LH was back to flying the 747-8 the next day.

I just checked my Aeroplan account, and it appears that AP has already done something proactively. Saw this in my AP account just now. I assume that is because of the switch from F to J?

6,489 pts

6,489 SQM1 SQS6,489 EDQ
bonus pts included

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 22, 2022 at 8:15 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by diverg
I hope someone here can give me some hope, but I suspect I'm am SOL on this. I'm the one who booked the BKK-HND=LHR, stopover, LHR,-FRA-ORD-AUS booking with the HND-LHR and FRA--ORD legs in F on ANA and Lufthansa respectively. The first portion of the trip went off with no problems at all. The LHR-FRA-ORD took place on January 19. The same day of airlines canceling flight to the US because of the 5G issues. Lufthansa did not cancel the flight, but equipment swapped to a 747-400 with no F. I was even checking the night before for cancellations etc, but it appeared everything was going to go as planned. Next morning not so much. Even the flight purser said they didn't find out about the swap out till about 5:30am. Do I have any recourse? I assume I am SOL, but hope there is a chance to maybe get some miles back. Don't really feel like waiting on hold forever with Aeroplan unless there is a realistic chance of getting something back.

BTW, my understanding is that LH was back to flying the 747-8 the next day.
Given that some of your routing was already in F, no chance. AC routinely sells mixed cabin tickets as if you had every segment in the highest cabin.

EDIT: EU compensation may apply though, see below, so you could be in luck!

Last edited by Smiley90; Jan 22, 2022 at 9:22 am
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by diverg
I hope someone here can give me some hope, but I suspect I'm am SOL on this. I'm the one who booked the BKK-HND=LHR, stopover, LHR,-FRA-ORD-AUS booking with the HND-LHR and FRA--ORD legs in F on ANA and Lufthansa respectively. The first portion of the trip went off with no problems at all. The LHR-FRA-ORD took place on January 19. The same day of airlines canceling flight to the US because of the 5G issues. Lufthansa did not cancel the flight, but equipment swapped to a 747-400 with no F. I was even checking the night before for cancellations etc, but it appeared everything was going to go as planned. Next morning not so much. Even the flight purser said they didn't find out about the swap out till about 5:30am. Do I have any recourse?
Yes. The AC tariff has a provision for partial refund in the event of downgrade from what was booked. The second post of this thread has a link to the tariff.

You may also be entitled to compensation under EU261, which could be more generous than what AC would otherwise offer (although you can only claim one of the two). There are a few EU261 threads on the AC FT board. If you don't find what you're looking for in one of them, the generally active thread where you could post a follow-up question would be this one.

I just checked my Aeroplan account, and it appears that AP has already done something proactively. Saw this in my AP account just now. I assume that is because of the switch from F to J?
Nope. Seems that, due to the last-minute switch, you were lucky enough to get re-ticketed in a revenue fare class. If/when you talk to Aeroplan, don't mention this, or they might take it away. But do please let us know, in the calculator thread, what the base miles were, so that we can add this new FRA-ORD distance to the database.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes. The AC tariff has a provision for partial refund in the event of downgrade from what was booked. The second post of this thread has a link to the tariff.

You may also be entitled to compensation under EU261, which could be more generous than what AC would otherwise offer (although you can only claim one of the two). There are a few EU261 threads on the AC FT board. If you don't find what you're looking for in one of them, the generally active thread where you could post a follow-up question would be this one.

Nope. Seems that, due to the last-minute switch, you were lucky enough to get re-ticketed in a revenue fare class. If/when you talk to Aeroplan, don't mention this, or they might take it away. But do please let us know, in the calculator thread, what the base miles were, so that we can add this new FRA-ORD distance to the database.
How do I figure out the base miles? Do you think EU261 is possible?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Adam Smith

Wouldn't the 261 claim be with the operating carrier, and the partial mileage refund be with Aeroplan, two separate entities in this case? I don't see how the claims should be either or,
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.