Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I had AMS-YYZ-SFO. Narrow-body on YYZ-SFO, but meh.

I caught them mid-schedule-change, and the evening YYZ-SFO had been cancelled, so I was rebooked on the morning. Negative 6 hour connection.

Then they also cancelled AMS-YYZ. So now I'm AMS-FRA-YYZ-SFO with a negative 4 hour connection.

Fun stuff.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I hope that's a revenue ticket. Just think of all of the SQM you're gaining with from routing changes.
expert7700 and canadiancow like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Options after R upgraded flights Gets cancelled

I have one hypothetical question.
in case transatlantic flight with confirmed R business class with e upgrades gets cancelled, is air Canada providing business class other options, or just provides you with ecconomy alternative
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I hope that's a revenue ticket. Just think of all of the SQM you're gaining with from routing changes.
Unfortunately, intra-Europe B class is not nearly as exciting as intra-Europe JCDZP.

Also my other related ticket just became refundable, and the whole trip might not be happening.

So these "changes" might result in an SQM multiplier of 0.

Originally Posted by felicidad76
I have one hypothetical question.
in case transatlantic flight with confirmed R business class with e upgrades gets cancelled, is air Canada providing business class other options, or just provides you with ecconomy alternative
See the last few posts in the eUpgrade thread.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Unfortunately, intra-Europe B class is not nearly as exciting as intra-Europe JCDZP.

Also my other related ticket just became refundable, and the whole trip might not be happening.

So these "changes" might result in an SQM multiplier of 0.

See the last few posts in the eUpgrade thread.
Thx a lot
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:37 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
On LH/LX/OS intra-Europe P class is unfortunately as exciting as B class.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The itinerary is a no go. You ll need to change it.
Key is to have a routing in mind when you call. See whats available via AC points bookings online (amount of points doesnt matter)

They can open up availability on any AC flight without questions, but not partners, although they may be open to if you press hard.

For the United flights, you will need partner availability (not just Mileage Plus) - so you need to look at the AC search engine
Thanks for the input so far.
The only bookable award flight for that day on AC's website is DUB-YYZ-EWR-DTW which includes a 15 hour overnight in EWR. Far from my first preference.

What is the expert opinion on the chance of AC being willing/able to open partner availability? UA shows DUB-EWR-DTW and DUB-IAD-DTW available for mileage booking. AC does allow this routing for awards, but not until later that week. Same with DUB-FRA-DTW on LH.

I'm still nine weeks from travel so if there is little chance of getting moved to UA or LH for the same day I think I will wait it out awhile and hope another schedule change brings things back to legal. Overnight in YYZ would not be horrible. If I don't contact them will they eventually force a change on me at some point?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:43 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tev9999
What is the expert opinion on the chance of AC being willing/able to open partner availability?
This far out, low.

It would be helpful if you shared the date, as FTers may have ideas for itineraries that the Aeroplan website won't spit out.

It's also worth thinking about whether you can use this to your advantage - maybe you'd like to shift your travel a day or two one way or the other, or if you have to overnight somewhere, maybe you'd like to build in a 23-hour connection in Paris or something like that.

UA shows DUB-EWR-DTW and DUB-IAD-DTW available for mileage booking. AC does allow this routing for awards, but not until later that week. Same with DUB-FRA-DTW on LH.
Not really relevant. If there aren't points seats available on the date you're trying to travel, AC will likely have to buy a ticket from the other carrier(s), regardless of whether those carriers have reward space in their own program.

If I don't contact them will they eventually force a change on me at some point?
Yes. They won't allow a connection below MCT. It's possible the automated system hasn't come up with any good options and your ticket is in queue for manual re-booking, but at some point, they will change it to a legal connection.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by tev9999
Thanks for the input so far.
The only bookable award flight for that day on AC's website is DUB-YYZ-EWR-DTW which includes a 15 hour overnight in EWR. Far from my first preference.
Sorry should be more clear - you only need award to an AC gateway city, then you can pick any AC flight from there.
So if LH is available as an award on DUB-FRA, and if FRA onwards is on AC - you are good, it doesnt matter if the AC portion is available as an award.

You will not be able to book the United flights available to United Mileage Plus members only via Aeroplan.

There is no harm in waiting it out - the booking will just stay in limbo unfixed
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:12 am

There is no harm in waiting it out - the booking will just stay in limbo unfixed
No it won't, but it's irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Yes. They won't allow a connection below MCT. It's possible the automated system hasn't come up with any good options and your ticket is in queue for manual re-booking, but at some point, they will change it to a legal connection.
But it's still an involuntary change, so even when it gets rebooked, you'll still be eligible for a free change/refund.

I have two PNRs at the moment with negative connection times. I guarantee those are going to be "fixed" without me calling.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:33 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
So if LH is available as an award on DUB-FRA, and if FRA onwards is on AC - you are good, it doesnt matter if the AC portion is available as an award.
For Aeroplan, there's no such thing as "available for an award" on AC anymore.

But the website may not suggest all possible routings, so I generally agree with your suggestion.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
No it won't, but it's irrelevant.
Tell that to my negative connecting in LHR thats been sitting around for 3 months, travel is suppoed to be in 4 weeks .....
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Looking for some advice on an upcoming trip..
I booked YYZ-YVR-OGG in Premium Economy Flex on Aeroplan points, and upgraded to J with eUpgrades at time of booking.
YYZ-YVR (AC103) was just cancelled due to staffing/COVID, I was re-booked onto AC105 but downgraded to Economy cabin as that's all that was left on the flight.
I asked about a refund of points between Premium Economy and Economy and was told to send an email after the trip in to AC and request some points, is that correct?
Going from the front all the way to the back...definitely a first world problem, but a tough pill to swallow
Old Jan 13, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
AC just sent me a canned response to a complaint I sent in and said I would not receive compensation because I was alerted at least 15 days prior to the flight departure. The flight is on the 15th and I received the notification today (the 13th).

I was not claiming compensation and was asking clarification for an unrelated issue.
TOR27 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:10 pm

Ok, so weird issue and would appreciate your help.
Had an award booking made with United that included AC flights (and other carrier). 48 hours before the flight get notification from AC that I've been rebooked (a day later, which is an issue). Turns out - Aeroplan took over the booking, and reissued the ticket on AC stock.

All that is good, but in order to change the ticket I can't talk to AC, must call Aeroplan. When I call Aeroplan, it asks me for my member number (which has nothing to do with this reservation) and then tells me the lines are too busy for me to be on hold and hangs up.

Am I SOL? Is there a way to get Aeroplan customer service to talk to me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.