FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:02 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GTMD81
If I may I would like to use this very topic to ask a question.
Your question is exactly what this thread is for

AC has just "changed" the second leg of my flight from LHR to Smithers. The layover in between the two legs was 22h, which I had no issues with. The trouble now is that AC sent me an email saying they moved the second leg (vancouver -smither) 24h! That means that I'll have to wait in Vancouver one unecessary day. I checked on the website ad it looks like my original flight was cancelled as is not more availabe on that day, so I 'm afraid AC has used the word (and the excuse) of the "change" to not incur in compensation.
Note also that this was notified to me less than 12 days from the departure.

The free cancellation won't do, so is there any compensation I have any right to ask?
You're unlikely to get any compensation, because AC thinks everything is out of its control (see this thread for discussion), but you have the right to ask them to re-book you on a better route. For instance, flying LHR-YYZ-YVR-YYD might get you back on your original YVR-YYD flight and only having to leave LHR a few hours earlier.

If you share your dates, the FT community would probably help you try to find better routings.