Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vancouver25k
As of July 2022, MLLs appear to be largely back to normal operations.

Ordering to the table has been shut down, with most MLLs offering self-serve buffets similar to what was available pre-COVID.

Note that the EWR MLL has been permanently shut down as a result of changes/construction at EWR.

Showers
YYZ​​​​​​ int - closed (Aug 12. They claimed all showers closed at YYZ but I was only at int.)
YVR tb - open
YVR int - open
YUL int - open

Print Wikipost

MLLs in the time of COVID - re-openings, food, distancing, etc [READ WIKI FIRST]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite & Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
(Emphasis mine)

It actually wouldn't be that hard. Whatever is the current lounge capacity, just allow 1-2 fewer people in than that for seating, and then allow for 1-2 people coming in for take-out only. As they come in, let them know they're not allowed to stay and sit, but are welcome to do grab and go.
Now I can definitely agree with that idea. That is fair to all parties and would please a lot of people like YYCleisureTraveller who are only looking to grab a quick bite anyways.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I’m sure the answer is in here somewhere but I’m nothing if not lazy.

Are showers open in MLLs? Specifically at YYZ?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
In the Toronto MLL yesterday and picked up a glass of wine and 2 of the water bottles, carried them all back to my seat and then a had a work issue i had to deal with so i was just sipping the wine. When i looked at my glass i realized there was red lipstick on the glass, I wasn't wearing lipstick
I called over the lady collecting glasses and showed her, she offered to get me another glass but I was grossed out and left.
I cant believe that in these days of over the top hygiene practices that AC cant wash glasses properly.
I wrote an email to the SE email customer care dept (still waiting for a response) but check the glasses if you are in a MLL
Old Mar 20, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
In the Toronto MLL yesterday and picked up a glass of wine and 2 of the water bottles, carried them all back to my seat and then a had a work issue i had to deal with so i was just sipping the wine. When i looked at my glass i realized there was red lipstick on the glass, I wasn't wearing lipstick
I called over the lady collecting glasses and showed her, she offered to get me another glass but I was grossed out and left.
I cant believe that in these days of over the top hygiene practices that AC cant wash glasses properly.
I wrote an email to the SE email customer care dept (still waiting for a response) but check the glasses if you are in a MLL
Really gross!!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I’m sure the answer is in here somewhere but I’m nothing if not lazy.

Are showers open in MLLs? Specifically at YYZ?
Nope. Just passed by the YYZ today. Still closed.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: AC 75k
This is a fail that requires at least 2 people. The dishwasher and the server. Maybe even a porter who transports between the two. This is unforgivable in the current world, but I won't be too quick to blame the boots on the ground. It has been my experience travelling over the past year that despite reassurances that sanitary conditions are first priority, cleaning staff were the first to be let go and no longer to be found. Had a few almost week long stays at hotels where no one ever came in to clean; to reduce Covid exposure of course, but in reality, the level of cleanliness when we arrived was not up to the standards we were used to, so I am not sure that was the only motivator.
Used napkins and even gum stuffed into sleeves or cubbies in J for my family to find certainly made me less convinced that the CleanCare + wasn't quite working either. As usual, the lazy "We sprayed everything with a cleaner thingy" isn't very effective or reassuring.
expert7700, Bohemian1 and 24left like this.

Last edited by FlY2XS; Mar 21, 2021 at 12:40 am
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Update - I received an email from AC thanking me for my loyalty and letting me know the MLL team would review hygiene procedures, and 2500 points as a good will gesture
martyYOW and streetcircusdan like this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Update - I received an email from AC thanking me for my loyalty and letting me know the MLL team would review hygiene procedures, and 2500 points as a good will gesture
Should be at least 10K points and a personalized email from the local MLL manager. This is the kind of stuff that CBC writes about and AC should know that (and that’s not even taking the human aspect into consideration).
Old Mar 21, 2021, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyztozag
Should be at least 10K points and a personalized email from the local MLL manager. This is the kind of stuff that CBC writes about and AC should know that (and that’s not even taking the human aspect into consideration).

I am happy that @MME2YYZ received a response. I could be wrong, but I'll assume his/her point of posting here and writing to AC was concern for cleanliness and safety of MLL guests.....and letting us know we should be extra observant these days in the MLL.

But I'd be interested in how you came up with 10,000 points - and the expectation that AC would offer that amount for this particular situation.

I'm not sure the MLL manager(s) would ever write a personal letter to anyone. You know the MLL is managed by Compass, who is contracted by AC. IMHO, AC is ultimately responsible.

As for the CBC writing about things like this, we are in the Now Times. I invite you to take a look at the front page of the CBC site today. You can easily get a sense of the topics that matter to them or what they consider news. I also looked at their "consumer" page, Go Public, and there is a common theme.

I would add that there are a lot of people who won't travel or can't travel. The reasons any of us are still flying is no one's business but I guarantee that many of the non-flying public don't know about airline lounges nor would they care about anyone having a negative "AC CleanCare+" experience. Equally important is many of those who aren't flying, don't want anyone else to fly. Should someone be flying and have a negative experience (not involving engines), they would either shrug or briefly enjoy someone else's negative experience.

As for the MLLs....

While serving wine in glasses and coffee in mugs is nicer, if Compass and AC can't wash them properly, perhaps they should serve in disposable cups as they do onboard the domestic flights.
expert7700 and jasdou like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
Nope. Just passed by the YYZ today. Still closed.
Yes I discovered that on Wednesday.

Oddly enough, the LH Senator lounges have kept showers open but the consumption of food and beverage inside the lounge is prohibited. Interesting to see how each company/country is doing things differently.

Back on topic, the food offerings at YYZ weren't inedible. I had some chicken pasta dish that was almost acceptable, the nanaimo bar wasn't terrible, and the chocolate chip cookie was as it always is.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Stopped by YYZ MLL and they updated their menu again....Seems like they will be updating on a monthly basis going forward. Paging 24left for the update.

Vodka sauce-ish Chicken Penne Pasta. Was decent if it arrives and eaten warm....otherwise not recommended.

Mushroom flatbread wasn't bad either. Taste depends on which slice you get!

Sweet and Sour Chicken. Just as bad as the previous ginger chicken. Would not recommend.

Cream of Broccoli Soup. Mediocre at best.

Last edited by MillennialMiles; Mar 27, 2021 at 11:02 pm Reason: Sweet not Sweat
Old Mar 27, 2021, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@MillennialMiles
LOL, I see you tried the "sampling menu" Great photos. thanks for the YYZ Food TR.
MillennialMiles likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 9:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
Sweat and Sour Chicken. Just as bad as the previous ginger chicken. Would not recommend.
I would expect any dish with sweat as an ingredient would be pretty nasty.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I would expect any dish with sweat as an ingredient would be pretty nasty.
If MLLs started offering this I'd be thrilled to bits.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite & Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by YOWgary
If MLLs started offering this I'd be thrilled to bits.
MLL should offer True North water like they do in the YYT MLL. Best bottled water around...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.