Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread originally contained any and all information relating to flying with AC in the times of COVID. As travel has picked up, much of the discussion has been moved to dedicated threads to make topics easier to follow. Threads that may be of particular interest to those travelling during COVID:

Meal threads:
Schedule changes/refunds - temporary COVID-related policies:
The above threads are in the process of winding down as AC moves away from temporary COVID-related policies. Most questions on schedule changes/refunds should be directed to the thread on AC's new permanent schedule change policies

Other AC-related threads:

Pre-travel e-mails:

Information on immigration rules and procedures, and other government requirements, from the Canada forum:
Airport-related threads containing information that may be relevant to AC passengers, but that are not specific to AC (there are many others in the Canada forum; these are a few that have come up frequently):
(Other threads with immigration/government-related questions not specific to AC can be found on the Canada forum, and experiences and questions on those topics should be posted there)
Print Wikipost

Is anyone actually flying AC domestic or international in these Covid-filled days?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:18 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
They were only available on the International Signature Suite.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
Ok thanks. Did you get your green tea?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsfrSE
Huh? Did the SS open up again?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Huh? Did the SS open up again?
I'm pretty sure jsfrSE meant "suite" as in the "DreamCabin J seat/suite".
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:41 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm pretty sure jsfrSE meant "suite" as in the "DreamCabin J seat/suite".
Yes correct. In Vancouver, only the domestic lounge is open.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
AC 872 (YYZ - FRA) Dec 12/13, despite the highest load in J (20/27) I've seen in months, had one of the best meals I've had on AC in 20+years; and one of the top 10 all time in the air. The lobster salad was particularly good.

(apologies for the lack of photos, wasn't expecting much when it arrived).
painintheuk, jlisi984 and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:58 am

At this point I'm completely perplexed why they don't have liquor back.
painintheuk, jlisi984 and gcashin like this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:09 am

At this point I'm completely perplexed why they don't have liquor back.
I'm not all that perplexed by this. Why does any company do anything? Money. Someone within AC has decided that it will cost them more to serve liquor than it will cost them in any possible lost business due to that decision. The marketplace has not pressured them enough to restore their prior levels of service. I'm annoyed, but I understand, and my own choices for flying will reflect their lack of vision for long term effects.
That said, I have to say I'm noticing at least some improvement on average over the past few months not only in the food but also the general service attitude.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mathemagic
I'm not all that perplexed by this. Why does any company do anything? Money.
The boxed meals cost AC more than the regular pre-COVID meals, so this is provably false.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:27 am

The boxed meals cost AC more than the regular pre-COVID meals, so this is provably false.
Have you seen data on that? I wonder how much it cost AC for all the things related to serving J meals on "real" plates, etc., factoring in all the ancillary costs.
But again, I say that this is still a money issue. Someone in AC determined, and convinced decision-makers, that not having the meals would cost AC more in lost business than to serve them. There comes a point of diminishing returns: how much of the old service would they need to reinstate before the costs of the added service outweigh the costs of lost business? Evidently AC has decided that liquor doesn't matter enough.
When things get more back to "normal", competitive pressure will surely come back. But right now there aren't enough customers who care.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Also I think the Bottega gold is more expensive than minis of Captain Morgan.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:50 am

Have you seen data on that?
Not "data", but I see no motive for the following thread to contain any deliberate misinformation.

Highlights from AC Super Elite Focus Group

But again, I say that this is still a money issue. Someone in AC determined, and convinced decision-makers, that not having the meals would cost AC more in lost business than to serve them. There comes a point of diminishing returns: how much of the old service would they need to reinstate before the costs of the added service outweigh the costs of lost business?
Not having meals isn't feasible on long flights.

And it's not cost. If they switched meals back to pre-COVID, they'd save money. When did hot meals end? March? Everyone thought surface transmission was a huge factor then. It took AC 4 months to get their fancy boxes rolled out that don't require crew to touch your food.

Less than 5 months after that, they're back to hot meals, but in a hybrid model.

My suspicion is that was unfounded overreaction combined with the general slowness of AC in general, as well as supply chains that need to exist at all your airports.

Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Also I think the Bottega gold is more expensive than minis of Captain Morgan.
Right.

And Clean Care kits are more expensive than not having them.

Not everything here is about cost. It's about perceived safety. Even those kits have been adjusted over time as more data comes out about what's useful.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 10:09 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
My suspicion is that was unfounded overreaction combined with the general slowness of AC in general, as well as supply chains that need to exist at all your airports.
I agree that this is the likeliest explanation.

Hygiene theatre notwithstanding, given that AC isn't the only airline using some of these catering facilities, I suspect there's a critical mass of staff required (and minimum $$$ commit by AC) to deliver even one meal. Let alone turning the rest of the supply chain spigot back on.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Covid inspired mini trip report YVR to TLV via YYZ December 13 2020

YVT to TLV

Dreamliner 90% full approximately
Boarded with social distancing but not leaving aircraft on arrival that I found odd...no announcements made to leave row by row for example..majority standing and waiting for door to open

Comment - unfortunate that a few passengers decided not to show that required bags to be offloaded and required passengers in the plane to spend another 55 minutes in a closed environment more than we had to. No shows may have had reasons but comments as noted.

YYZ to TLV

Boarded with social distancing as above but again nothing organized on arrival.
Kosher meal offered as "hot" was cold corned beef, 1 piece, on cous cous, small cookie, and garbanzo bean salad. Veggie wraps and kosher sandwiches and granola bars in the galley during flight, the sandwiches being dry but the wrap actually tasty. Breakfast was a croissant, fruit in juice and orange juice.

Dreamliner approximately 70% full...surprising.

Toronto gate attendants reminder everyone they needed to complete Israel entry health form. On arrival, required to sit down and process the form with agents after which you receive your entry pass from the remote terminals ie no in person processing at the passport control area and then free to collect bags after handing over the confirmation of the health form having been processed and a temperature check.

Only staff and arriving passengers landside after passing customs, exit and either be picked up by friends/family or taxi according to the government regulations ie check as they change frequently. Into 14 day isolation.

Final comment...YVR checkin...had 2 bags...one free one paid additional fee for. First bag weighed 23.8 kg...agent made me transfer a box of cookies at 350 grams to my second slightly underweight case in order to allow scale to process my bag. She told me there was no override button. I thought it silly and it would have been more challenging had there actually been a lineup. I was a little taken aback by the request but complied. Was she yanking my chain or was that true? I was told AC gives 500 gm leeway and I needed to transfer the 350 gm out.

Last edited by testycal; Dec 14, 2020 at 11:00 pm
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by testycal
YYZ to TLV
Dreamliner approximately 70% full...surprising.
59% to be precise.

Was that higher or lower than you expected?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.