Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I'd rather spend points which cost me $0 to acquire than give more cash to AC.

And never mind if you need to cancel. Would you rather have AC hold on to $100 in tax or $1000 in YQ for the 4+months it's taking to get an award refund.
My last award cancellation, everything was refunded in 3 days
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
My last award cancellation, everything was refunded in 3 days
4 days for me. Is it really taking weeks and weeks for some award cancellation tax/fee refunds?
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by robsaw
4 days for me. Is it really taking weeks and weeks for some award cancellation tax/fee refunds?
Sometimes. I've refunded awards online before, and everything came back in a couple of days. I've also refunded some, where the agent had to manually request a refund. I have no idea why some of mine needed a manual intervention, and I've run into that on about 3 occasions. But, my experience is they either take 3 days, or 9 weeks, depending on whether a manual refund request was needed.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yes. Anything requiring manual intervention takes 3+ months. And that's basically anything that has anything beyond a single transaction.
I
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:39 pm

I passed 13 weeks waiting for my refund last Friday. Still no sign of it.
mjjhorto likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I got a sudden inspiration to try something else and was able to check in using the AC mobile app with no problem. Certainly reduced my stress level.
That has to be the first time the mobile app was more useful than other options.
Thanks, that's a relief to hear! I'll make sure to have the App handy.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 1:18 pm

I had a Secure Message from my credit card issuer (Chase) today. They have closed my dispute with AC and made the credit permanent. Needless to say I'm happy with the result!
seawolf, wrp96, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by SouthernDiscomfort
I had a Secure Message from my credit card issuer (Chase) today. They have closed my dispute with AC and made the credit permanent. Needless to say I'm happy with the result!
American Express reversed my credit when Air Canada showed them my ticket stub that said "Nonrefundable". I think they completely missed the point that non-refundable doesn't mean the airline can cancel without refunding. I've reopened my dispute and submitted the DOT Enforcement Notice and applicable Tariff (from before AC changed it to only refund for cancellations "within their control"). I'm a bit disappointed AmEx didn't apply any more critical thinking to AC's response, but we'll see if it sticks (or if they just come back with the same argument).
wrp96 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Originally Posted by strickerj
American Express reversed my credit when Air Canada showed them my ticket stub that said "Nonrefundable". I think they completely missed the point that non-refundable doesn't mean the airline can cancel without refunding. I've reopened my dispute and submitted the DOT Enforcement Notice and applicable Tariff (from before AC changed it to only refund for cancellations "within their control"). I'm a bit disappointed AmEx didn't apply any more critical thinking to AC's response, but we'll see if it sticks (or if they just come back with the same argument).
Same happened with me and AMEX. I had 2 disputes - one booked directly with AC and one booked through AMEX travel. Booked on same day, for same itinerary (two different PAX).

AMEX accepted chargeback on AC-direct booked itin, but refused chareback on the itin booked by AMEX travel. My guess is AMEX travel would be stuck without the cash and they didn't like that. Quite disappointed in AMEX's response when I sent in DOT notices and contract law as their response was essentially "we dont care."
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by yyz_consulted
Same happened with me and AMEX. I had 2 disputes - one booked directly with AC and one booked through AMEX travel. Booked on same day, for same itinerary (two different PAX).

AMEX accepted chargeback on AC-direct booked itin, but refused chareback on the itin booked by AMEX travel. My guess is AMEX travel would be stuck without the cash and they didn't like that. Quite disappointed in AMEX's response when I sent in DOT notices and contract law as their response was essentially "we dont care."
Hopefully I won't have the same outcome since I booked (and paid) directly with AC, and my dispute is with them. I'd be disappointed too if I were in your position.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:51 pm

Got it!!

Got my voucher. Took 10 weeks.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by mjjhorto
Well I am *only* on 9 weeks now - so I guess I can remain positive
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mjjhorto
Was it a conversion from previously cancelled reservation, or was it cancelled and you chose the gift card?
Old Aug 17, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Was it a conversion from previously cancelled reservation, or was it cancelled and you chose the gift card?
Well I have both, but this one was cancelled and I chose a gift card (via the manual form).

My other one is a conversion. That one is 8 weeks now. That did not require the manual form.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 6:33 am

I had a non-refundable flight (Halifax to San Francisco) that I had cancelled myself. And when I cancelled my only options were the voucher or aeroplan points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.