FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:43 pm
yyz_consulted

Programs: AC E75K, MR/SPG Plat Ambassador, UA G
Originally Posted by strickerj
American Express reversed my credit when Air Canada showed them my ticket stub that said "Nonrefundable". I think they completely missed the point that non-refundable doesn't mean the airline can cancel without refunding. I've reopened my dispute and submitted the DOT Enforcement Notice and applicable Tariff (from before AC changed it to only refund for cancellations "within their control"). I'm a bit disappointed AmEx didn't apply any more critical thinking to AC's response, but we'll see if it sticks (or if they just come back with the same argument).
Same happened with me and AMEX. I had 2 disputes - one booked directly with AC and one booked through AMEX travel. Booked on same day, for same itinerary (two different PAX).

AMEX accepted chargeback on AC-direct booked itin, but refused chareback on the itin booked by AMEX travel. My guess is AMEX travel would be stuck without the cash and they didn't like that. Quite disappointed in AMEX's response when I sent in DOT notices and contract law as their response was essentially "we dont care."