Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

'Sneak peek' at the new Aeroplan, July 28

Old Jul 15, 20, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

(Mods: feel free to shift this post to any more relevant existing thread on the new Aeroplan)

Just a heads-up for those interested in the path towards the new Aeroplan (be it Aeroplan 2.0, Aeroplan 2020, or Aeroplan 2: Electric Boogaloo).

AC overnight sent out media invitations to a 'sneak peek' briefing on July 28 – it's a virtual preso and three hours long, so should have plenty of time to dive into the details of what the invitation refers to as "Air Canada's transformed loyalty program". We've been told that the session is under embargo (NDA to be signed in advance), and the date that embargo lifts remains to be advised.

Link to article here, but the core info is summarised above so there's no 'obligation' to click the link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...oplan-relaunch
krayZpaving likes this.

Last edited by djsflynn; Jul 20, 20 at 11:58 pm
Old Jul 16, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Ok, totally sincere question here.

Why would they have an event for press, with a "sneak peek" at a new program, then have everyone contractually unable to talk about it? It seems like they won't be giving out all the details, which makes sense, but now we'll just end up with a bunch of blog posts that are barely fluff opinion pieces but lacking any detail to let people decide on their own.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 16, 20, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
It's just a typical media embargo.

These events often happen in phases (i.e. this may not be the only media event), and then a couple days later, AC will put out a release, and the media is free to publish.

It just gives everyone time to write a good story, ask any clarifying questions, etc.
Old Jul 16, 20, 6:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AC E35, WS Gold, UA Silver, KF Silver, Ex AB Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
(Mods: feel free to shift this post to any more relevant existing thread on the new Aeroplan)

Just a heads-up for those interested in the path towards the new Aeroplan (be it Aeroplan 2.0, Aeroplan 2020, or Aeroplan 2: Electric Boogaloo).

AC overnight sent out media invitations to a 'sneak peek' briefing on July 28 – it's a virtual preso and three hours long, so should have plenty of time to dive into the details of what the invitation refers to as "Air Canada’s transformed loyalty program". We've been told that the session is under embargo (NDA to be signed in advance), and the date that embargo lifts remains to be advised.

Link to article here, but the core info is summarised above so there's no 'obligation' to click the link: https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...oplan-relaunch
EY - AD - ??

will be revealed in days to come

Last edited by jugaadkabaap; Jul 16, 20 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 16, 20, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
Ok, totally sincere question here.
Why would they have an event for press, with a "sneak peek" at a new program, then have everyone contractually unable to talk about it? It seems like they won't be giving out all the details, which makes sense, but now we'll just end up with a bunch of blog posts that are barely fluff opinion pieces but lacking any detail to let people decide on their own.
Pretty much what Cow noted: it's generally to allow time for media to craft a more solid story, so that once the press release lands, there can be a number of decent yarns alongside it. Some media disapprove of embargos and NDAs, but I've always found them worthwhile – especially for something like this, which should give ample time to really dive into to the details, ask a lot of questions on matters which might not be obvious at first (and hopefully get decent answers to those).

Another good thing is that this can allow time for journalists to focus on their own key areas of interest: some media attending will really want to get into the 'business' side of things, others will be very points/status oriented.

What I expect will happen is that when we receive the NDA it'll come with the date and time that the embargo lifts. There's a caveat here: if somebody breaks the embargo, everyone is free to roll (there's actually another caveat, that if somebody reports part of the info you're free to publish reporting to the same level but not beyond, however this one gets a little hairy in practice).

Last edited by djsflynn; Jul 20, 20 at 11:57 pm
Old Jul 16, 20, 7:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AC E35, WS Gold, UA Silver, KF Silver, Ex AB Plat (OWE)
Pretty much what Cow noted: it's generally to allow time for media to craft a more solid story, so that once the press release lands, there can be a number of decent yarns alongside it. Some media disapprove of embargos and NDAs, but I've always found them worthwhile – especially for something like this, which should give ample time to really dive into to the details, ask a lot of questions on matters which might not be obvious at first (and hopefully get decent answers to those).

Another good thing is that this can allow time for journalists to focus on their own key areas of interest – some media attending will really want to get into the 'business' side of things, others will be very points/status oriented.

What I expect will happen is that when we receive the NDA it'll come with the date and time that the embargo lifts. There's a caveat here: if somebody breaks the embargo, everyone is free to roll (there's actually another caveat, that if somebody reports part of the info you're free to publish reporting to the same level but not beyond, however this one gets a little hairy in practice).
Interesting,

Can "somebody" be anybody or limited to those who were(are) on embargo / signed an NDA?

Hint: Check my previous comment
Old Jul 16, 20, 8:12 pm

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Not that the last buy miles was a good deal, but it is interesting timing
Old Jul 17, 20, 12:30 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
Not that the last buy miles was a good deal, but it is interesting timing
I wouldn't be shocked if the new Aeroplan evolves into a combination of the following

- earn status from high CC spend with partner cards (similar to some US airlines). They already did that with the earn P25 option.
- regular buy miles promos (lets face it --- these help AC with their current daily burn rate, hence why they are doing it)
- devaluation of non North America rewards (even with the add back of extra stopovers)
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 17, 20, 9:16 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
What timing to launch a revised program within this pandemic. Hopefully some nuggets in there for travellers that still offers some value to us...
Old Jul 18, 20, 10:35 am

Interesting article on the new Air Canada in house loyalty program

https://onemileatatime.com/new-aeroplan-program/
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 20, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K MM, Accor Gold, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
I think the Aeroplan program will engage members in unique ways we haven’t seen other airline loyalty programs do, with some creative perks (maybe things along the lines of Hyatt’s awesome “Guest of Honor” perk?)
Wasn't Mark Nasr still at UA when they STOPPED doing that? Not that he was in control of loyalty though.

There are a few "loopholes" Aeroplan would have to kill if they wanted to do this in a way that didn't screw them.

That being said, I believe the VIP program already works this way, so there is precedent at AC.

Even as an SE with lots of miles who often redeems for friends and family, I have mixed feelings on this.

I think it’s more likely than not that Aeroplan will finally eliminate fuel surcharges on award redemptions (this is purely speculation on my part)
I suppose that's possible. When they were added, AC was taking a pretty big loss on every redemption because Aeroplan had their own profit margin.

It would require renegotiating the deals with every airline they currently charge YQ for.

I guess it depends on whether they want to brand themselves as a good option for Americans compared to something like UA, but since most people just redeem for domestic Y, I don't see a reason to.

If anything like this happened, I think it would just be an eliminating of North American YQ, with a possible extension of the international YQ waiver down a tier or two.

Another thing to consider is that dynamic priced redemptions (i.e. Market Fare) already don't have YQ on North American itineraries, if dynamic becomes the default, then they've basically already done this.
meltedmarshmellow likes this.
Old Jul 19, 20, 7:56 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
AC overnight sent out media invitations to a 'sneak peek' briefing on July 28 it's a virtual preso and three hours long ...
Three hours long? Why on earth would they need to chew up that much time? I sit through quite a few new program/product launches every year .... most are wrapped up in a half-hour at the most ... even with a Q&A you're done in an hour tops.

I'm sensing that Aeroplan's sense of self-importance is somewhat over-inflated.
KenHamer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 20, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
Three hours long? .... most are wrapped up in a half-hour at the most ... even with a Q&A you're done in an hour tops.....
That leaves 2+ hours to be on hold.
Old Jul 20, 20, 5:13 pm

Email from Mark N on improvements to mileage expiration ahead of relaunch of Aeroplan

Deleted

Last edited by mileageking; Jul 20, 20 at 5:59 pm Reason: Another FT member started separate thread.
Old Jul 20, 20, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Gold AC*75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I suppose that's possible. When they were added, AC was taking a pretty big loss on every redemption because Aeroplan had their own profit margin.

It would require renegotiating the deals with every airline they currently charge YQ for.

I guess it depends on whether they want to brand themselves as a good option for Americans compared to something like UA, but since most people just redeem for domestic Y, I don't see a reason to.

If anything like this happened, I think it would just be an eliminating of North American YQ, with a possible extension of the international YQ waiver down a tier or two.

Another thing to consider is that dynamic priced redemptions (i.e. Market Fare) already don't have YQ on North American itineraries, if dynamic becomes the default, then they've basically already done this.
Why not have 'tiered' YQ surcharge discounts with the discount equal to your status level across all redemptions?
25/35/50/75/100%

Search this Thread
Search Engine: