Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
As of April 13, 2021 (in conjunction with the federal government bailout), AC is providing refunds for flights cancelled due to COVID, which applies to tickets with travel after February 1, 2020, and purchased before April 13, 2021. This includes flights cancelled by customers rather than AC.

Going forward (i.e. tickets purchased on or after April 13, 2021), cancelled flights will be refunded if AC does not offer a re-booking option with departure +/- 3 hours from the original time.

AC refund portal

Online refund request form

Press release on the bailout
Print Wikipost

Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed

Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Contracts of Carriage will be amended to ensure nobody gets cash refunds for any reason. Since very few people read contracts before agreeing to them, it will come as a surprise to most.
It could also lead to provincial (consumer protection laws) and federal regulation that make it clear the customers are entitled to the refunds, which will override any airline's contract of carriage terms/rules.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
The only people who win in class actions are the lawyers. The defendant takes a huge financial hit which hurts its business (and ultimately its customers). They are usually settled for a portion of the claimed amount and then the lawyers take a huge cut, leaving the plaintiffs in a case like this with very little, after years of waiting. They are usually portrayed as some great win for "the little guy", touting multi-million dollar wins, but this is far from the reality for most plaintiffs.
if scammers are allowed to continue scamming just because it's costly or lengthy to catch them, things will never change.

Air Canada is not making goodwill efforts to appease the angry customers. Air Canada is not coming clean and not explaining why it cannot refund. Instead of getting off their high horse and saying "sorry we don't have enough money to refund everyone but we will make up to you", they are are wrapping issue with a pile of BS about how they are doing customers a favour by giving them those restrictive travel vouchers. Perhaps the reason why they refuse to refund is different and aligns more with something like "maximizing shareholder value"

Air Canada is not showing good faith by maintaining restrictive rules on the travel vouchers, such as non-transferability, non-combinability and loss of residual value
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by hoipolloi; Mar 30, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
if scammers are allowed to continue scamming just because it's costly or lengthy to catch them, things will never change.
Please holster the hyperbole as this isn't a case of online scammers stealing someone's money but a crisis unlike any other the airline industry has faced in decades, if ever. I've read many varying opinions on the legality of providing credits instead of refunds and there doesn't seem to be a consensus on the matter so until there's more clarity I'll reserve my rush to judgement. That is of course merely MHO as a poster.
ABG likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by robsaw
In that case, AC isn't giving refunds, the gov't is.
actually, we are
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
The only people who win in class actions are the lawyers. The defendant takes a huge financial hit which hurts its business (and ultimately its customers).
True, but doesn't this teach them a lesson? You could argue otherwise that any corporation could do anything without penalty as it would 'hurt its business".
I joined the BA class action (regarding their inattention to the security of their website and stealing of millions of CC and other details) because I want them to invest in future IT needs, not for the $10 I might eventually collect.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
True, but doesn't this teach them a lesson? You could argue otherwise that any corporation could do anything without penalty as it would 'hurt its business".
I joined the BA class action (regarding their inattention to the security of their website and stealing of millions of CC and other details) because I want them to invest in future IT needs, not for the $10 I might eventually collect.
I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a penalty. I guess I would just prefer that it be in the form of government regulation and fines as opposed to a lengthy and unruly process that was designed for the benefit of lawyers (which I used to be BTW).
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: aeroplan
I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a penalty. I guess I would just prefer that it be in the form of government regulation and fines as opposed to a lengthy and unruly process that was designed for the benefit of lawyers (which I used to be BTW).
Well, that's because the airlines hire lobbyists to represent their interests to the politicians. Somehow I doubt the airlines prefer government regulation and fines.
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I got an email from AC today asking me if I want to cancel my booking for end of May.
Now if I ask for a refund I only get 70 dollars. If I ask for credit I get the full amount. This is for a future trip.
What I don't understand is why the non refundable charges include Air Transportation Charges, taxes and fees and charges and seat selection? They are not giving me the base fare nor are they refunding the HST.
So my choice is either get so little refund or keep the total amount for a future travel.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by dav662
What I don't understand is why the non refundable charges include Air Transportation Charges, taxes and fees and charges and seat selection?
"Certain taxes are refundable in certain cases based on the following:"

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...-services.html
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:43 pm

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I got an email from AC today asking me if I want to cancel my booking for end of May.
Now if I ask for a refund I only get 70 dollars. If I ask for credit I get the full amount. This is for a future trip.
What I don't understand is why the non refundable charges include Air Transportation Charges, taxes and fees and charges and seat selection? They are not giving me the base fare nor are they refunding the HST.
So my choice is either get so little refund or keep the total amount for a future travel.
I got one of those e-mails too for domestic May travel.

Part of the e-mail included:
"If you have a non refundable fare, you can still cancel your trip and receive 100% of the unused value of your ticket as a future travel credit. This credit is valid for travel before April 30, 2021. "
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by tracon
I got one of those e-mails too for domestic May travel.

Part of the e-mail included:
"If you have a non refundable fare, you can still cancel your trip and receive 100% of the unused value of your ticket as a future travel credit. This credit is valid for travel before April 30, 2021. "
Yes that's what it said. I prefer a refund instead of the credit for future travel. I am sure as soon as this is over the airfares would sky rocket.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Yes that's what it said. I prefer a refund instead of the credit for future travel. I am sure as soon as this is over the airfares would sky rocket.
Even if airfare remains the same, you'll have to magically find a flight that costs the exact same amount of money. If it's cheaper, AC keeps the residual value. If it's more expensive, you're paying AC new money to use the 'credit' they issued you for the flight they didn't provide earlier.

Conceptually, I don't entirely disagree with what AC is doing - preserving cash to keep the airline alive - but at least give people a real gift card-like credit that is transferable, does not expire and can be used multiple times. Anything else is a kick in the pants.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Even if airfare remains the same, you'll have to magically find a flight that costs the exact same amount of money. If it's cheaper, AC keeps the residual value. If it's more expensive, you're paying AC new money to use the 'credit' they issued you for the flight they didn't provide earlier.

Conceptually, I don't entirely disagree with what AC is doing - preserving cash to keep the airline alive - but at least give people a real gift card-like credit that is transferable, does not expire and can be used multiple times. Anything else is a kick in the pants.
I don't even understand their logic with any of this. They want cash.

There are 3 AC itineraries I want to book and 1 UA itinerary. UA has basically the same rules for booking new tickets as AC.

Except... I'm not willing to end up in a situation where I lose residual value. I'm quite happy to take a $5k AC gift card if all my flights need to be cancelled, and they can hold my cash. But I'm not willing to take a $2k and $3k AC credit that can only be used by the same passengers, and lose all residual value if I want to book a different cheaper flight.

Do they need cash or not? Because I've got a bunch burning a hole in my pocket that I'd spend if their terms were reasonable.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Yes, AC's policy at this point is a giant warning sign to hold off on booking any future travel unless it's a fully refundable fare.
Bohemian1 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector

That's what Westjet is doing and I would be OK with that. But the way AC and many other airlines set up restrictions on travel credit usage ensures most people will lose the entire or part of the voucher's dollar face value.

If they can't handle the IT modifications to remove the restrictions on the travel vouchers or create a travel "bank" ŕ la Westjet, just issue e-gift cards instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.